• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

To the Aussies

gregf

No definitely not Tania. I meant I respect the reasons you explained in NC.:Retro smile:

Why am I awake at 2am ? Well I have this illness called ME and .....

alex3619

Hi gregf, I use terms that are used historically. XMRV (sorry, now HGRV- Human Gamma Retro Virus, it isn't a mouse virus) is claimed to cause HGRAD- Human Gamma Retrovirus Associated Disease) - this is claimed to be the latest claim from the WPI, and is a bombshell potentially. I use ME when I refer to ME research, and I use CFS when I refer to CFS research - the definitions used are different and I never want them confused, there is too much confusion already. Similarly, if research uses empiric or oxford or CCC this should be stated. There are only two terms we should be aiming toward at the moment, and maybe only one: ME and HGRAD. However, when we are discussion old research, and particularly bad research, we should use the original term based on diagnostic criteria used. Similarly, I usually dont use ME/CFS or CFS/ME (this one because it is a psychobabble term, Wessely likes it) but use "ME and CFS", because it is not 100% clear that these dont cover a spectrum of different disaases, especially CFS. In the time I have known of CFS, there have been several new diseases discovered, and patients who once had CFS no longer have this diagnoisis, they have for example Lyon's disease etc. ( I don't know if that is the correct term, it is the Lyon variant mutation of cortisol binding globulin, a genetic disorder).

Bye
Alex

Proposed ME/CFS VIC education sessions to Doctors

News report from mecfsvic@yahoogroups.com.au:
We are trying to secure both Dr Byron Hyde and Professor De Meirleir for an education session or maybe two education sessions to GP'S, medical academics/researchers throughout Victoria. A few relevant senior/exec level government health advisors, minister will also be invited

ME/CFS Vic have partnered for the first time with the GP Divisions of Victoria to bring this education session to the medical community of Victoria. Advertising will get to every GP in Victoria. Me/Cfs Vic will also be advertising widely through medical schools etc, this will take quite a bit of office and staff time over the next few weeks to strategically manage and maximize the impact of the event/s,so please leave phone messages if we do not answer immediately, we will always return your call just as soon as we can

Partnering with GPVic is a huge milestone for ME/CFS and for ME/CFS Vic. Having GPVic actively support the session/s allows for a high level of credibility for the speakers and also the condition ME/CFS amongst the medical community. We expect a very good turn out. We also have senior/exec government health policy advisers who are interested in attending

A flyer or flyers will be available very soon for you to take or forward to your drs
regards Alison

Priscilla

re. the bond study - am thrilled to see some research going on locally and desperately want this to yield something useful for us. having attended an info session about it and been hearing from people involved since, i do have some serious concerns about the way it is set up, the organisation and the way participants have been treated (including the level of understanding of the illness). however, not going to go into details on a public forum...

M

Melodie

Hi

What about children with CFS taken from their parents and institutionalized? We need to research that at some point, I know it happens in Australia.

Bye
Alex

Hi Alex, do you know of any cases and if so if the people concerned would want to be asked permission to have it put on the wiki.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I cant say the way bond treat us is good or bad. I think it depends on what your expecting. I was hoping for xmrv test but just more validation that my illness is immunological, which i have. Maybe others are going in there expecting answers and or some sort of treat. bottom line is they dont know that much about cfs, thats why they are doing this study. I know its frustrating and i want to know more too but i sit back and think to myself thats not what this study is about. U will find alot of medical people put up a wall of sorts to distance themselves from their patients, i think if they sat down and listened to all of us they wouldnt get much work done because they would be balling their eyes out as well.

I look at it as im the vampires dinner and every few months they report back to us on how tasey we are, lol.

cheers!!!!

alex3619

Hi Melodie

I knew of one case a long time ago, and apparently they finally won their supreme court battle and got their child back - years later. This was in Brisbane. There is a wikipedia thread on this but I hve forgotten the details. I do not know if they want names listed - a child is/was involved, so privacy is important too.

Bye
Alex
Hi Alex, do you know of any cases and if so if the people concerned would want to be asked permission to have it put on the wiki.

M

Melodie

Hi Melodie

I knew of one case a long time ago, and apparently they finally won their supreme court battle and got their child back - years later. This was in Brisbane. There is a wikipedia thread on this but I hve forgotten the details. I do not know if they want names listed - a child is/was involved, so privacy is important too.

Bye
Alex

Thanks Alex. I found this 7.30 report on Tahnee Johnson, mother of teenage daughter with CFS. The story finishes with Tahnee to appeal the court decision (1999). I couldn't find any further info.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/stories/s21850.htm

alex3619

Hi Melodie, in something like 2004/5 they won the supreme court case, if it was the same person. I think this is on the wikipedia under munchausen by proxy legal battles in Australia or something. Others on PR know the details, someone posted this to me a few months ago.

Bye
Alex

Australia - National radio interview on the topic 'Exploring ME/CFS' - August 23

ME/CFS Australia (Victoria) is pleased to announce that we have secured a
national radio interview on the topic 'Exploring ME/CFS'
Those interviewed will include Mr Simon Molesworth QC President of ME/CFS
Australia, Dr Donald Lewis (CFS Discovery) and Dr Nicole Phillips
(psychiatrist)

Aug 23 Mon 10-11 pm Eastern standard time, Australia

Radio ABC Tony Delroy Nightlife http://www.abc.net.au/nightlife/

Please forward this information onto all your networks , blogs, chatrooms ,
facebook sites
Regards Alison
Health Promotion Projects

ME/CFS Australia (Victoria)
Ph: (03) 9791 3100
Fax: (03) 9793 1866
Email: admin@mecfs-vic.org.au
Web: http://www.mecfs-vic.org.au<http://www.mecfs-vic.org.au/>

M

Melodie

News report from mecfsvic@yahoogroups.com.au:
We are trying to secure both Dr Byron Hyde and Professor De Meirleir for an education session or maybe two education sessions to GP'S, medical academics/researchers throughout Victoria. A few relevant senior/exec level government health advisors, minister will also be invited

ME/CFS Vic have partnered for the first time with the GP Divisions of Victoria to bring this education session to the medical community of Victoria. Advertising will get to every GP in Victoria. Me/Cfs Vic will also be advertising widely through medical schools etc, this will take quite a bit of office and staff time over the next few weeks to strategically manage and maximize the impact of the event/s,so please leave phone messages if we do not answer immediately, we will always return your call just as soon as we can

Partnering with GPVic is a huge milestone for ME/CFS and for ME/CFS Vic. Having GPVic actively support the session/s allows for a high level of credibility for the speakers and also the condition ME/CFS amongst the medical community. We expect a very good turn out. We also have senior/exec government health policy advisers who are interested in attending

A flyer or flyers will be available very soon for you to take or forward to your drs
regards Alison

Priscilla

This is great news! Thanks for letting us know Alison. Same for the ABC radio interview on Monday night. (I wonder if mecfs/vic has the facility to record it and put on your website?)

taniaaust1

No definitely not Tania. I meant I respect the reasons you explained in NC.:Retro smile:

Why am I awake at 2am ? Well I have this illness called ME and .....

i was only kidding but i think you did understand that :) ..

note.. my reply back was at 2.00am too :) .. maybe it needs to be added into the ME definition, doesnt go to bed till after 2.00am :p

taniaaust1

I heard yesterday that Byron Hyde is going to be coming to Australia to do a lecture.. Im not sure if that is the same thing which is being talked about here or not.. but he is coming. (i'll see if i can find the link and post them).

Im currently trying to work out if there is anyway i could go!!

taniaaust1

Here you go..

Dr Byron Hyde - September 18th 2010, Melbourne Town Hall

"Doctor, do I have ME/CFS?"

International visiting medical expert Dr Byron Hyde

Dr Hyde [pictured] will discuss the latest research and clinical practice concerning Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The session is open to patients, medical practitioners, allied health professionals, policy advisors, academics and community members.

Read more

http://sacfs.asn.au/

We need this info on the Aussie page for coming events.