• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientific research articles on methylation?

Athene

ihateticks.me
How much of the methylation cycle has been properly researched, proven and written up in peer reviewed articles?
And how much is theory by DAN doctors, speculation by patients, or downright urban myth?

I have tried to find articles on the web which have been published in respected scientific journals on any aspect of this topic, with resounding failure. So I was hoping we could develop a thread where we could collect together anything that we find on the subject, which is properly written up peer-reviewed research, rather than blurb on a website by a lab which is promoting its own tests?

richvank

How much of the methylation cycle has been properly researched, proven and written up in peer reviewed articles?
And how much is theory by DAN doctors, speculation by patients, or downright urban myth?

I have tried to find articles on the web which have been published in respected scientific journals on any aspect of this topic, with resounding failure. So I was hoping we could develop a thread where we could collect together anything that we find on the subject, which is properly written up peer-reviewed research, rather than blurb on a website by a lab which is promoting its own tests?

Hi, Athene.

If you check my poster papers and talks at www.cfsresearch.org, you will find them heavily referenced with peer-reviewed papers, some of them concerning the methylation cycle. I would particularly draw your attention to the references on the 2007 IACFS poster paper and the talk entitled Methylation and Glutathione--Keys to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

The published literature on the methylation cycle in general is voluminous. If you are asking specifically about dysfunction of the methylation cycle in disorders, I would suggest the papers on autism by S. Jill James and coauthors. They published their first one in 2004, and there was another in 2006, I believe, and others after that. They are in peer-reviewed journals, and can be found on PubMed. They are clinical studies.

Another group that has published on this in autism is Prof. Richard Deth's group at Northeastern University. They have published a hypothesis for the pathogenesis of autism that involves the methylation cycle.

I haven't published anything in peer-reviewed journals about dysfunction of the methylation cycle in CFS yet, but have presented it at the IACFS/ME conferences in 2007 and 2009. Since I think I'm the only person who has proposed that this mechanism applies to CFS as well as it does to autism, I don't think anyone else has published on this topic.

Best regards,

Rich