• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Canadian Consensus Criteria for CFS/ME

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Welcome justy!

Based on the type of onset we've had, I'd say that we're the exception which is why I chose to bounce my situation against the different sets of criteria to show my "evolution". You're the first person I've run across with a progression similar to mine (although I worked full-time for quite a while - at the exclusion of all else for the last few years), but gradual onset cases come in lots of flavors. It seems most people get kicked in the butt harder initially than we did, oftentimes much harder.

It would be great if you'd like to share a little more in the 'Introduce Yourself' forum.

The forums are a great place to learn and interact with lots of smart people.

Dr. Jason is absolutely stellar when it comes to the issues of case definitions and I would urge you to check out a webinar he did earlier this year when he discusses some of these things. I haven't been able to keep up with all of his work this year, the guy is a force of nature.

Finally I'll add that there's a petition to urge the CDC to stop using the empiric criteria (Reeves et al, 2005) put forward by Tom Kindlon who is a fantastic ME/CFS advocate.

Take care,
Otis

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks Otis. i didn't realise we were the exception. im going to write a general hello soon. im almost a bit bored of talking about myself, which is why i haven't done it yet.

I'm blown away by the standard of knowledge on here, and the standard of the posts - its a lot to take in when your brain doesn't work properly!

taniaaust1

Welcome to site justy.. as Otis said, there are many forms of slow onset.

The good thing will be that once it is worked out what is the cause(s) of all this (which i think will only be worked out by studying strict subgroups), then hopefully testing will be able to happen in those who are just starting to get noticable symptoms which may not fit the other whole picture. Once some kind of testing is in place.. all the current diagnositic criteria can be thrown away.

I personally think there may of been something unnoticed wrong with me when a child... way before i got the CFS. I had two episodes as a child (over 15 years before i got CFS) in which i got muscle burn out so bad I could hardly walk (once of those two times was doing a school hike with my peers). Whatever was wrong, i believe may of predisposed me to get CFS (canadian consensus CFS) much later on as an adult.

Andrew

CCC document. (big grins)
George, maybe you could edit your message to remove that link to the truncated version of the Canadian Consensus. People have been downloading that and assuming that's all there is too it. They miss out on the treatment and research part, and don't even realize they are missing it. I emailed that website and told them of the problem, but they have not fixed this.

Here is the real home of the document: http://www.mefmaction.net/PhysiciansResearchers/Guides/tabid/531/Default.aspx. Click on ME/CFS Consensus Document