• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ears ringing?

SteveRacer

Demon on Wheels
I don't realize it often during the noise of the day but almost any time it is quiet I notice my ears are mildly ringing. It seems to be very often they are doing this. Anyone else have this?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I just replied but it isn't showing, so this might come up twice. I was just going to ask about this when I saw your post. I also hear a dull ringing sound sometimes and at other times it sounds like rushing. I take a lot of meds that up Seritonin and I am wondering if that might cause the rushing or ringing sound or if it is another symptom?

Tembo

Australia
I suffer from ringing ears and I also get a kind of flapping sound ( like bird wings if that makes sense) my chiropractor says my neck it out when this happens and I always get immediate relief after an adjustment. Not sure if that would help you but its what works for me:)

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Speaking (or in this case writing) of hearing things, I just remembered something so weird, that I had to mention it. My husband and I both have FMS and CFS. When my husband laid down to go to bed at night he was hearing music. After a while, I started hearing music too (it was very quiet and hard to hear, but it was there). At the time we had been seeing a doctor who specialized in Fibromyalgia and only saw fibromyalgia and CFS patients. He sad that many of his patients had been reporting the same symptom--hearing music when they lie down. I am guessing this must have something to do with the nerve problems. Weird, right?

liverock

BETAHISTINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE or Serc as it is sometimes called, is a drug which sometimes helps with tinnitus or ringing in the ears.

It is normally prescribed for people with vertigo which a lot of CFSers suffer from.

*GG*

Yup, and this dated pre-illness. I sleep with a sound machine and CPAP, usuallly like some sound around, not so noticeable.

Stone

My ears started ringing at the moment of my 'sudden onset' of CFS on September 14, 1995 and haven't stopped since. Once in a while it changes pitch, quality or volume but it never goes away. Sometimes it sounds like keys jingling, other times like the buzzing of fluorescent lights. Also, I do kind of hear music sometimes when I'm laying down lately, but it's not exactly like music, it's more like a cell phone ring tone that's muffled as if it were ringing under a pillow.

Lynn

He sad that many of his patients had been reporting the same symptom--hearing music when they lie down. I am guessing this must have something to do with the nerve problems. Weird, right?

I hear music often when laying down. The range of genres is incredible, big band, jazz, show tunes. I think it is about my hyper-sensitive brain making music out of ambient sounds (heater, air conditioner, just general noise). I have been experiencing for years. Today when it happens, I just let it play and think things like how interesting my brain can be.

Lynn

i dont generally have a prob w ears ringing. but i do occas hear a phone ring sound when it really didnt ring. or a doorbell ring sound. and yes i have heard the music while laying down. that is odd. and yes i must have a sound machine for good white noise when i sleep.

my bro who has cfs worse than mine- he has frequent ear noise problems- and it exactly correlates with how his cfs is doing. after he overdoes it and goes into a flare- his hears a constand underwater wooshing sound in his ears. (or something like that). then as time passes and he improves- you guessed it- the sound gets less or goes away. he is 100% sure it is due to cfs but of course we cant figure out exactly WHY this happens. he wonders if it has to do w brain inflammation or someting.

Stone same here identical as you said.
My startedright after taking high dose ABx Levaqen which only made symptoms worst
Its either some damage to ear drum nerve by virus (herpes) or due to ABx ..hopefully stem cell take care of this and other issues

My ears started ringing at the moment of my 'sudden onset' of CFS on September 14, 1995 and haven't stopped since. Once in a while it changes pitch, quality or volume but it never goes away. Sometimes it sounds like keys jingling, other times like the buzzing of fluorescent lights. Also, I do kind of hear music sometimes when I'm laying down lately, but it's not exactly like music, it's more like a cell phone ring tone that's muffled as if it were ringing under a pillow.

anciendaze

My tinnitus began 18 years ago, during a flare up caused by an infection, and has not stopped since. It tends to be a high-pitched sound with several frequencies, like the noise from CRT monitors. It definitely gets worse when other symptoms get worse.

I have also had the impression of listening to music when none was around, but I don't know if that is as uncommon as many people think. The brain often tries to make sense of random inputs, even in people without known nerve damage. This is particularly true in half-waking states called hypnogogia. I suspect we spend more time in these in-between states than others, because this goes along with the sleep problems often reported. The weird images that I see in these situations are not hallucinations, because I can tell they are internal, not external sensory inputs, but they are just about impossible to explain. Even if I were a graphic artist, (which I emphatically am not,) I don't think I could visualize novel images at anything like the rate these appear and morph into others.

ixchelkali

Neurologist Oliver Sacks ("The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat") has writen about organically based music hallucinations. I think it was temporal lobe damage, but I may not be remembering correctly. He ended up writing a whole book about music and the brain.

beside ringing ears anyone with sensitivities to noises, sounds, gardnres are worst with machinery, also if someone chew like nutts or even going to restaurants is almost imposible seem overload is too much, thnx

I've had tinnitus for varying lengths of time since the onset of M.E/cfs 20 years ago. It doesn't really bother me on it's own but it can mess about with my ability to get to sleep so that becomes a problem.

I used to entertain visitors by pretending to run my hand over my head, as though i was rubbing the rim of a half -filled glass, and singing/mouthing the same note that was ringing in my ear. What a bizare sensation that was, to be in tune with your tinnitus. Sadly i can no longer reach the high notes due to 20 years of sore throats.

*GG*

I've had tinnitus for varying lengths of time since the onset of M.E/cfs 20 years ago. It doesn't really bother me on it's own but it can mess about with my ability to get to sleep so that becomes a problem. QUOTE]

Have you considered a Sound Machine? that's what I do.

FYI

Alesh

My tinnitus started sometimes shortly after the sudden onset of my ME/CFS more than 12 years ago. It isn't like a definite tone with a definite pitch, it is more like a hissing or an acoustic noise felt subjectively somewhere in the head. It never dissapears completely. The first years it was so strong I had to use headphones and listen to some music if I wanted to read. Now I hear it only when I am in a silent place.