• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Prostate Cancer an Infectious Disease? ( XMRV)

liverock

Thanks for posting this lansbergen.

Dont be put off by the title, this video is just as much about the question "Is XMRV and CFS Infectious?". The speaker gives a very detailed account of all the latest XMRV research done affecting not only PC but CFS as well, and on the whole IMO makes the case that XMRV is infectious.

This is essential viewing and a perfect counterargument to those who say XMRV is just 'another virus'. Dont miss it.

VillageLife

This is good, a must for everyone to watch! :victory::victory::victory::victory: A fab presentation, weldone Dr Klein!!!

(and did he say good morning Mr President ???):eek:

Sharing the :victory: :victory: :victory:

I dont think i have ever listened to anybody present that much information, so clearly and concisely in such a short space of time as well. One rapid summary....even so i think i need another listen too as my grey matter isnt complying too well lol

Now please can we have some more funding Mr President ?!!!

:thumbsup: for posting this link Lansbergen :Retro smile:

alex3619

some main points from the video

Hi

I just wanted to summarize what I though were the key points, at least from my perspective, so that you will better understand why you should watch it. I am mostly going to ignore the psostate cancer related information.

1. Klein implies that XMRV is a opportunistic infection because the immune stystem (RNAseL component) is defective in these patients - including for CFS.

2. XMRS does infect the brain.

3. Its initial targets are CD4+ T cells and NK cells. I do not recall if B cells were mentioned and don't wish to watch it again at this time.

4. XMRV is almost certainly blood transmissable, and probably sexually transmissable.

5. XMRV is thought to be oncogenic because it is androgen responsive. If it inserts into the genome near an oncogene (or any other problematic gene) that gene could become androgen sensitive. If you acquire an androgen sensitive endogenous oncogene, then normal hormone production will trigger the oncogene and cause cancer. In this case they were talking about testosterone.

6. HTLV is highly geographically dependent for prevalance. Test in the wrong part of the world and you might have trouble finding it. XMRV could be the same.

One implication that everyone should be aware of it that using hormone therapy to treat CFS might be a huge problem and could cause cancer.

Personally I think the reason five studies have failed to find XMRV is that they are using blood and not trying to amplify the virus. This virus is most easily found in infected tissue.

This video specifically relates to research done at the Cleveland Clinic.

Bye
Alex

Lynn

Wow! That was a great video.

Did anyone else notice the slide that said that Casodex stopped XMRV from replicating?

I looked it up and Casodex is a drug that is used in Prostate cancer (along with other drugs) to reduce the production of testosterone.

I wonder if that has any implications for CFS/ME patients?

Lynn

I think this is one of the most exciting and promising lectures to be released since Oct 8th. It strengthens the argument that XMRV is real - is infectious and possibly linked to disease. It also highlights the difficulty in locating the virus strain (which would explain some of the negative studies). I am not thoroughly convinced that the different results (re the negative versus positive studies) could be explained by geography. I think VIpX’s 8 out of 20 UK positives undermines this idea. Outside of this point – I thought everything else rang true – fascinating to hear that the first couple of places XMRV infects includes – Prostate and The Brain !! – sounds familiar.

One piece of information that stuck in my mind with regards the cancer part of the talk is that it mentions that frequent ejaculation is important in helping to stave off prostate cancer. I can think of a few rude names that type of therapy may get called.;)

On a more serious note - one of the most common listed side-affects of antidepressants is that they can seriously inhibit libido/cause impotence - therefore, since XMRV is seemingly abundant amongst ME patients and one of the frontline treatments is antidepressant therapy, could these drugs actually be doing male patients in particular far more harm than good? :eek:

CM

I would greatly appreciate your input from slide 21...... I think Dr. Klein said, everyone is infected with XMRV, but persist in those deficient in anti viral defenses.

Birddog

I did a double-take on that one too. I wonder if he meant everyone *can* be infected with xmrv, not just those with the R-nase deficiency.

V99

Had a look at the AUA website, they have a president, Anton J. Bueschen MD.

V99

Well, he may be in a position to change that, especially if he holds Klein in hight esteem.
Either way, that's a great talk. Right now I would put it at the top of the pile, even above Mikovit's, because it comes from on hight, as in, one of the guys who discovered that thing. Show's how sane Mikovit's is.

liverock

One of the best things to come out of these studies that link CFS with PC via XMRV will eventually be improved research funding at governmental level:victory:

Because PC is such a widespread disease and can now possibly spread XMRV, governments will eventually be under a lot of public pressure to spend more money on research, which they wouldn't have been if XMRV was only linked to CFS.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I dont think anyone would ever in a million years of thought PC and CFS can be caused by the same thing.

Except maybe for those of us who have ME/CFS and have had prostate problems?

I thought the presentation was excellent. It makes such a difference to actually see and hear this data being discussed at mainstream medical conferences.

It also raises a lot of questions for me :

I think we picked him up right that anyone can contract XMRV - not just those with the RnaseL etc mutation suggesting that the 4% estimated prevalence in the wider population may be correct but likely to grow.

Presumably then, only those with the mutation develop pathology in the form of PC, ME/CFS or other?

It also suggests that all males with ME/CFS (who presumably have the RnaseL mutation) are at risk of developing prostate cancer in response to androgens.

What is confusing is that there has been discussion here about the often reported male/female ratio of those with ME/CFS versus autism and the hypothesised protective effect of androgens.

Many males with ME/CFS report androgen deficiencies even to the point of developing gynomastia. In my own case I've seen total T decline from 25nmol/l to 7.5 (normal all age range approx 10-30nm/l) and my apparently prostate related problems (slight pain, difficulty urinating etc) co-incided with low T and have now largely resolved.

While it was reported that XMRV is androgen sensitive (androgens stimulting growth, replication and oncogenes) it has also been reported that XMRV replication also responds to cortisol and thrives in a high cholesterol environment. Given that all steroid hormones are derived from cholesterol there may be a number of pathways through which cholesterol can impact.

While the talk referred to Testosterone and DHT, they have very different characterisics and DHT has long been blamed for benign prostatic hyperplasia. As we (males) age, less testosterone tends to be produced, and less remains free (biologically active) becoming increasingly converted to DHT or aromatised to estrogen. DHT is many times more powerful than testosterone but is not active in T target tissues such as lean muscle tissue. Instead it tends to endow us with such attractive features as enlarged prostate, male pattern baldness, ear hair etc.

Perhaps, any steroid hormones stimulate XMRV to replicate in all target tissues causing ME/CFS. However, it is only the very powerful DHT that stimulates XMRV in prostate tissues causing initially BPH and eventually PC. Maintaining the balance of free testosterone against DHT may still be protective?

On a lighter note :

"One piece of information that stuck in my mind with regards the cancer part of the talk is that it mentions that frequent ejaculation is important in helping to stave off prostate cancer. I can think of a few rude names that type of therapy may get called."

I'd like to suggest that it should be named after the man who has done so much to popularise the notion of "Chronic Fatigue"

Step forward Professor ...... Jerkoff!

ixchelkali

Great video! Excellent presentation. Thanks for posting.

I would greatly appreciate your input from slide 21...... I think Dr. Klein said, everyone is infected with XMRV, but persist in those deficient in anti viral defenses.

Birddog, I think in the context in which he was speaking, it meant everyone among the prostatectomy patients in the Emory study. But even so, it's an interesting point.

Withhope, welcome to the PR forums.