• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Metabolite Produced By Gut Bacteria From Pomegranates Reduces IBD

Jackb23

“The researchers at UofL have determined that Urolithin A (UroA) and its synthetic counterpart, UAS03, mitigate IBD by increasing proteins that tighten epithelial cell junctions in the gut and reducing gut inflammation in animal models. Tight junctions in the gut barrier prevent inappropriate microorganisms and toxins from leaking out, causing inflammation characteristic of IBD. Preclinical research published today in Nature Communications shows the mechanism by which UroA and UAS03 not only reduce inflammation and restore gut barrier integrity, but also protect against colitis.”

https://neurosciencenews.com/microbiome-pomegranate-ibd-10519/

Last edited:

Jackb23

Fascinating stuff.

Urolithin A induces mitophagy and prolongs lifespan in C. elegans and increases muscle function in rodents

“Our findings highlight the health benefits of urolithin A and its potential application in strategies to improve mitochondrial and muscle function.“
https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.4132

Going to do some mesearch and see what else I can find out about Urolithin A. Also where to maybe get my hands on some. The science around a lot of this stuff is way beyond me, but I’m eager to learn more.

Last edited:

Murph

:)
This looks very interesting!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30626868

Nat Commun. 2019 Jan 9;10(1):89. doi: 10.1038/s41467-018-07859-7.
Enhancement of the gut barrier integrity by a microbial metabolite through the Nrf2 pathway.
Singh R1, Chandrashekharappa S2, Bodduluri SR1, Baby BV1, Hegde B1, Kotla NG2, Hiwale AA2, Saiyed T3, Patel P3, Vijay-Kumar M4, Langille MGI5, Douglas GM5, Cheng X4, Rouchka EC6, Waigel SJ7, Dryden GW7, Alatassi H8, Zhang HG1, Haribabu B1, Vemula PK9, Jala VR10.
Author information
Abstract

The importance of gut microbiota in human health and pathophysiology is undisputable. Despite the abundance of metagenomics data, the functional dynamics of gut microbiota in human health and disease remain elusive. Urolithin A (UroA), a major microbial metabolite derived from polyphenolics of berries and pomegranate fruits displays anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidative, and anti-ageing activities. Here, we show that UroA and its potent synthetic analogue (UAS03) significantly enhance gut barrier function and inhibit unwarranted inflammation. We demonstrate that UroA and UAS03 exert their barrier functions through activation of aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR)- nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (Nrf2)-dependent pathways to upregulate epithelial tight junction proteins. Importantly, treatment with these compounds attenuated colitis in pre-clinical models by remedying barrier dysfunction in addition to anti-inflammatory activities. Cumulatively, the results highlight how microbial metabolites provide two-pronged beneficial activities at gut epithelium by enhancing barrier functions and reducing inflammation to protect from colonic diseases.

PMID:
DOI:
10.1038/s41467-018-07859-7

Carl

Pomegranate extracts and juice are very anti inflammatory and also have some minor antimicrobial effects.

I have something which might surprise you. The causative factor in IBD/IBS and CFS for that matter is NOT in the colon. Treating the colon will not eliminate it because that is not how the human nervous system works. It's all about the vagus nerve and the effect the infection has on the vagus nerve which affects the colon, in most cases the right transverse colon.

It does not work how they think/believe it works.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
The science around a lot of this stuff is way beyond me, but I’m eager to learn more.
Me too, don´t miss: "Host Remodeling of the Gut Microbiome and Metabolic Changes during Pregnancy"
Koren, Goodrich 2012 - It´s all ways, promising for an influence.

Carl

@Carl what virus are you referring to?
Do you believe all or most cases of cfs are due to the same type of virus?
No because it is not caused by a virus. More poor research by people who cannot understand or comprehend what is happening. Viruses take advantage of immune dysfunction which, along with the mitochondria->energy dysfunction, is promoted by cytokines. When the real infection is destroyed the digestive system, multiple parts including the primary location and secondary location, heals very quickly. What is more is the pituitary and hypothalamus also heal restoring more normal function. Until they are destroyed they prevent the digestive system from healing and the Increased Digestive Permeability continues to promote immune system activation, inflammation and cytokines. This does explain very well the research findings so far ie increased permeability in several locations however research has been totally inadequate, doing it in the easiest way possible without pinpointing it correctly.

Treating viruses can help by reducing the immune system load and increased nutrient requirements. I some cases that might improve things enough to be more functional but it will not fix the underlying problems. Stephen Buhner treated a viral infection which he believed was the cause of his CFS but I think that he is still using various supplements to support his body and I would dispute whether his CFS is 100% gone.

The micro-organism itself, which can vary widely - there is a big list of possibilities, is far less important than the location. Some people manage to resolve this fairly easily using various antimicrobials. One on this forum treated a staph infection and resolved his but I suspect he has not 100% solved the IDP. Staph bacteria are not as highly resistant as other bacteria. There are also many well researched efflux pump inhibitors which can be used to make antimicrobials more effective against staph bacteria. One of the infections which causes my IDP is I believe a staph spp. I have already destroyed 2/3 rds of that. The bacteria? (it could be yeast or fungi) causing my CFS is extremely resistant. Even without their protective biofilm, which I have removed, they have resisted everything that I have used so far. I think that they might be mycoplasma bacteria, I have my suspicions based upon symptoms and I have many herbs waiting to be used against them as soon as I have everything that I require. I still have a lot to do including making a replacement set of feet for my vortex mixer because the used item from eBay had a screw and foot missing. I have made 2 so far which seem to be working well and I have 2 more to complete.

When I destroyed 2/3 rds of the staph infection it healed my digestive system in two locations in aprox 15 minutes without any supplemental L-glutamine or other "necessary" nutrients which are claimed to improve digestive permeability. If any was required my blood levels were sufficient and no additional supplementation was required.

Jackb23

Pomegranate extracts and juice are very anti inflammatory and also have some minor antimicrobial effects.

I have something which might surprise you. The causative factor in IBD/IBS and CFS for that matter is NOT in the colon. Treating the colon will not eliminate it because that is not how the human nervous system works. It's all about the vagus nerve and the effect the infection has on the vagus nerve which affects the colon, in most cases the right transverse colon.

It does not work how they think/believe it works.

I agree, I think it is bound to work in a completely different fashion than what some currently believe, but that is all part of people having different hypothesis and paradigms. Who exactly is right and who exactly isn’t has not been established yet. The diversity is good for the research. While purporting that the problem is entirely in the nervous system is great, I’d like to learn more about why you think it’s the nervous system and what has led you to believe that, even if it is anecdotal/n=1. I personally have no idea what is going on, but can clearly see that several overlapping biological processes in our body are quite perturbed.

pattismith

Urolithin A induces mitophagy and prolongs lifespan in C. elegans and increases muscle function in rodents

“Our findings highlight the health benefits of urolithin A and its potential application in strategies to improve mitochondrial and muscle function.“
https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.4132

is mitophagy in skeletal muscle good or bad for us?

Rhodiola Crenulata ameliorates exhaustive exercise‑induced fatigue in mice by suppressing mitophagy in skeletal muscle

https://badge.dimensions.ai/details...domain=https://www.spandidos-publications.com

https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2020.9072

splusholia

I take pomegranate extract. I like it; seems to help my digestion. Tried eating whole pomegranates but just made a huge mess and stained all my clothes :thumbsup:

Anyone tried this stuff already? It was mentioned in a FB group I'm in and apparently it is selling already as Celltrient and Mitopure.
Given the current research I'm ready to experiment but would love to hear real experiences from people. I've tried dosens of treatments that are shown to work in vitro but don't have any effect on my health.

out2lunch

I tried Celltriend for a month, but I didn't feel a difference

I'm curious as to why you tried that brand instead of Mitopure? I'm relatively new to the science behind urolithin A. I only found out about it via a Dave Asprey email.

Dr. Mark Hyman is quoted as liking Mitopure on their website, so it makes me think there's something to this. Stuff costs $100 a month and you have to purchase two months minimum, so I'm reluctant to try it at that price.

Maybe because our mitochondria aren't functioning properly to begin with, urolithin a won't make any significant difference? I'd love for the ME/CFS researchers to run a trial.