• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Evidence of widespread metabolite abnormalities in me/cfs-whole-brain magnetic resonance spectrosco

Hufsamor

Abstract
Previous neuroimaging studies have detected markers of neuroinflammation in patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS) is suitable for measuring brain metabolites linked to inflammation, but has only been applied to discrete regions of interest in ME/CFS. We extended the MRS analysis of ME/CFS by capturing multi-voxel information across the entire brain. Additionally, we tested whether MRS-derived brain temperature is elevated in ME/CFS patients. Fifteen women with ME/CFS and 15 age- and gender-matched healthy controls completed fatigue and mood symptom questionnaires and whole-brain echo-planar spectroscopic imaging (EPSI). Choline (CHO), myo-inositol (MI), lactate (LAC), and N-acetylaspartate (NAA) were quantified in 47 regions, expressed as ratios over creatine (CR), and compared between ME/CFS patients and controls using independent-samples t-tests. Brain temperature was similarly tested between groups. Significant between-group differences were detected in several regions, most notably elevated CHO/CR in the left anterior cingulate (p < 0.001). Metabolite ratios in seven regions were correlated with fatigue (p < 0.05). ME/CFS patients had increased temperature in the right insula, putamen, frontal cortex, thalamus, and the cerebellum (all p < 0.05), which was not attributable to increased body temperature or differences in cerebral perfusion. Brain temperature increases converged with elevated LAC/CR in the right insula, right thalamus, and cerebellum (all p < 0.05). We report metabolite and temperature abnormalities in ME/CFS patients in widely distributed regions. Our findings may indicate that ME/CFS involves neuroinflammation.

ljimbo423

As I said in my last post, this is Jarred Younger's work. If I remember right, he said this year he would be looking for immune cells (T cells and B cells ) that might be crossing the Blood Brain Barrier and causing the brain inflammation he has found.

If he can find them (T cells and/or B cells), maybe he can trace them back to where they came from, finding the root cause of the immune system activation and possibly the primary cause of ME/CFS.

Last edited:

jesse's mom

Which study did you apply for?
I did an application for whatever he has upcoming, there was mention I would need to be there for twice weekly blood draws for three months. I am willing to go up and get the draw, then stay over in Birmingham get another one, then drive home.

Perhaps then I could get in the next brain MRI study... If I could be a part of even trying for a cure I will do whatever I can.

My coexisting spinal issues could throw me out.

ljimbo423

Perhaps then I could get in the next brain MRI study... If I could be a part of even trying for a cure I will do whatever I can.

I hope you are able to get in.

I think the study he does on weather immune cells from the body are getting through the BBB and causing brain inflammation is going to be a very important study.

Maybe even a game changer in determining what is really causing the most devastating symptoms in ME/CFS (the brain?).

Hufsamor

We keep having stuff pointed out about what’s wrong with us but no treatments to help any of it, this is starting to get me down
Oh, but it must not get you down:heart:
Every study points towards what's wrong, then it might be fixed!
Like if you're having a leak in your house
and a professional finally figures out where it comes from.
Next step: the fix....:star:
Hang in there!