• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

9 Rounds of Electroshock Therapy. 6 Years Lost. All Because Her Doctors Got It Horribly Wrong.

Gemini

Good to see this excellent article in a widely circulated magazine @laughin, thanks for posting it!

From the publisher:
Cosmopolitan is the best-selling young women's magazine in the U.S., a bible for fun, fearless females that reaches more than 17 million readers a month. Cosmopolitan delivers the latest news on men and love, work and money, fashion and beauty, health, self-improvement and entertainment.

Cosmopolitan.com reaches over 35 million unique users a month, in addition to boasting a social media following of nearly 15 million. In addition to the U.S. flagship, Cosmopolitan publishes in more than 80 countries around the world.

Like that the author mentions "ME/CFS can cause up to 60 different symptoms." The sheer number of symptoms is one of the most distinguishing features of ME/CFS not reflected in Case Definitions.

Gemini

This is a horror story. It's not just doctors' ignorance, it's their arrogance too - their refusal to listen to patients and refusal to say "I don't know", when they don't know.
Sadly, yes @Mary.

Perhaps in the future computer-assisted diagnosis of complex illnesses, and artificial intelligence, will eliminate the ignorance and bias described in this article.