• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC smelling funny

Not sure if this is the right category to post this thread, if not please let me know which would be better.

I received a bottle of NAC and after opening I noticed the content has some noticeable odor. Is this normal or it means something is wrong?

Thank you.

Carl

It's normal, it is a sulfur amino acid and therefore has a strong sulfur smell.

I buy the powder crystals and avoid expensive capsules as much as possible because they are bad VFM.

Hip

Somehow it didn’t occur to me I can try to google it before asking.

I nearly always find that someone somewhere on the Internet has had the same issues (whatever the issue), so I am fond of asking Google.

valentinelynx

LOL! N-acetyl cysteine should reek of sulfur. The cysteine molecule has sulfur in it. NAC is used in medicine in huge doses to treat acetaminophen overdoses. It's also used to break up mucus in cystic fibrosis and to treat other toxicities. You can always tell what patient is getting that treatment by the stench emanating from their bodily fluids... So, yes, your N-AC is normal.