• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibody Biomarker Discovery Research at Bateman Horne Center using technology from Serimmune

Hufsamor

The analysis identified a set of antibody species that occur more often in patients with ME/CFS and FM than in healthy controls. Through this analysis we aim to map antigens back to particular organisms in the environment that may give rise to these antibodies in some ME/CFS and FM patients.

This preliminary result was intriguing enough that the next batch of 150 blood samples was sent to Serimmune last week to confirm these results as well as expand the number of antigens that are recognized. We hope to publish these results in early 2019.

uglevod

Mean cytokine levels in ME/CFS patients(a table):
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5576836/table/t03/?report=objectonly

From the following paper:

Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5576836/
Although the inclusion of fatigue duration as an additional covariate was expected to result in a loss of statistical power, regression analysis by both disease severity and fatigue duration revealed that the upward linear trend across disease severity remained statistically significant for CCL11, CXCL10, G-CSF, GM-CSF, IFN-γ, IL-4, IL-5, IL-7, IL-12p70, IL-13, IL-17F, leptin, LIF, NGF, ICAM1, and resistin. The findings by severity for CXCL1, SCF, and TGF-α shifted slightly above the threshold for statistical significance (CXCL1, adjusted P = 0.0536; SCF, adjusted P = 0.0531; TGF-α, adjusted P = 0.0797), possibly because of variance inflation (18) by the independent covariate of fatigue duration. Only CXCL9 and IL-1α inversely correlated with fatigue duration but lost statistical significance after correction for multiple comparisons (SI Appendix, Table S2).
Remarkably, 17 cytokines were associated with severity in ME/CFS patients. Thirteen of these 17 cytokines are primarily proinflammatory: CCL11, CXCL1, CXCL10, IFN-γ, IL-4, IL-5, IL-7, IL-12, IL-13, IL-17, leptin, G-CSF, and GM-CSF.

By picking CXCL10(for example):

CXCL10/IP-10 in Infectious Diseases Pathogenesis and Potential Therapeutic Implications
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3203691/
Inflammation is associated with secretion of CXCL10 from leukocytes, neutrophils, eosinophils [1], monocytes, epithelia, endothelial and stromal cells, and keratinocytes in response to IFN-γ [2-3]. CXCL10 specifically activates CXCR3 receptor, a seven trans-membrane-spanning G protein-coupled receptor (GPCRs) [4], which is predominantly expressed on activated T, B lymphocyte [5], natural killer (NK), dendritic and macrophage cells. CXCL10 induces chemotaxis, apoptosis, cell growth inhibition and angiostasis. Abnormal levels of CXCL10 have been observed in body fluids of individuals infected with viruses [1, 6-7], bacteria [8-9], fungi [10] and parasites [11-13] indicating an important role in pathogenesis of these diseases.

wigglethemouse

This antibody work is very similar to what others have done.

Here is a thread from Feb 2017
NVCBR researchers close in on a diagnostic test for ME/CFS patients

Cort wrote about the research at the Nevada Center for Biomedical Research here
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2017/03/21/immunosignature-biomarker-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

I seem to remember seeing another article or video about similar antibody research recently but can't remember where. I'm glad to see it being replicated.

@Hufsamor may I suggest you update the title to something more descriptive like "Antibody Biomarker Discovery Research at Bateman Horne Center using technology from Serimmune".

wigglethemouse

I seem to remember seeing another article or video about similar antibody research recently but can't remember where. I'm glad to see it being replicated.
Okay found it. It's a post also by @Hufsamor
Latest from Fluge and Mella: ME/CFS Immunosignature Identified

Paper : Immunosignature Analysis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
Link : https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12035-018-1354-8

A random-sequence peptide microarray can interrogate serum antibodies in a broad, unbiased fashion to generate disease-specific immunosignatures. This approach has been applied to cancer detection, diagnosis of infections, and interrogation of vaccine response. We hypothesized that there is an immunosignature specific to ME/CFS and that this could aid in the diagnosis. We studied two subject groups meeting the Canadian Consensus Definition of ME/CFS. ME/CFS (n?=?25) and matched control (n?=?25) sera were obtained from a Canadian study. ME/CFS (n?=?25) sera were obtained from phase 1/2 Norwegian trials (NCT01156909). Sera from six healthy controls from the USA were included in the analysis. Canadian cases and controls were tested for a disease immunosignature. By combining results from unsupervised and supervised analyses, a candidate immunosignature with 654 peptides was able to differentiate ME/CFS from controls. The immunosignature was tested and further refined using the Norwegian and USA samples. This resulted in a 256-peptide immunosignature with the ability to separate ME/CFS cases from controls in the international data sets. We were able to identify a 256-peptide signature that separates ME/CFS samples from healthy controls, suggesting that the hit-and-run hypothesis of immune dysfunction merits further investigation. By extending testing of both our signature and one previously reported in the literature to larger cohorts, and further interrogating the specific peptides we and others have identified, we may deepen our understanding of the origins of ME/CFS and work towards a clinically meaningful diagnostic biomarker.

It sure would be nice if the Bateman Horne center could try and match the same immunosignatures as used in these two other research findings.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I visited the BHC about 2 months ago and asked Suzanne about this. She was very excited about it. She said it was using new technology. She tried to get together an antibody study using researchers across the country at least 5 years ago - well before the recent interest in autoimmunity. It seemed very promising given the people she got interested in it - many of whom I'd never heard of - but the grant was denied.

Glad to see the antibody work moving forward :)

Hufsamor

suggest you update the title to something more descriptive like "Antibody Biomarker Discovery Research at Bateman Horne Center using technology from Serimmune".
I would have if I could, but it seems I have forgotten how I did it?
May you guide me?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Hufsamor - on the off-chance that you might remember how to do this (;)) when you want to change a name again, here's how: Click on or scroll over "thread tools" at the top right side of the thread. A menu will pop up, click on "edit thread", and you'll be given an option to change the thread name. I believe you will have about a week after a thread is created in which to change its name. If it's been longer than that, say a few weeks or months, and you think a name change is needed, let one of the moderators know and we can do it for you :nerd: