• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neuroinflammation, pain, fatigue - podcast w younger and carri

Hufsamor

From Facebook side:

Neuroinflammation, Pain, and Fatigue Laboratory at UAB

4 t ·
New postcast with Dr. Younger on Dr. Carri's Functional Medicine Show!

Listen to the new podcast released today covering a conversation between Dr.- Carri and Dr. Younger on neuroinflammation. It is audio only and 30 minutes long. The link to the web version is below, followed by the link to the apple podcast file. This is the 160th interview Dr. Carri has done on functional medicine, so check out her other interviews at the third link below.

- Jarred Younger

https://www.drcarri.com/inflammation/

https://itunes.apple.com/…/functional-medicine…/id913420638…

https://www.drcarri.com/category/podcast/

Se oversettelse

Hufsamor

Explanation of inflammation, what it is and what it does.
I haven't listened to the post cast myself.
Some written main points in the link

Hufsamor

Main Questions Asked about Neuroinflammation:
  • What is it?
  • Why do you believe it is responsible for chronic pain and fatigue?
  • What are the common symptoms?
  • What are microglia and how do they impact neuroinflammation?
  • How do we diagnose it?
  • What medications or supplements can help dampen neuroinflammation?
  • What can we do today to help reduce it?
Key Points made by Dr. Younger about Neuroinflammation:
  • Every time we have a really severe infection, such as the flu, there’s a neuroinflammatory component to that.
  • Symptoms include: pain; fatigue; cognitive disruption or foggy brain; depressed mood; lack of motivation; and anhedonia (lack of pleasure).
  • Most of the patients have this neuroinflammatory element to their disease and that maybe that’s what’s making them feel fatigued and feel pain but the question is what’s causing that neuroinflammation to begin with? That varies tremendously from person to person.
  • Things that can trigger neuroinflammation include: mold exposures; virus or bacteria that’s hiding in the body; imbalance in the gut microbiome; medications that activate the central immune system.
  • We may be able to target the neuroinflammation and suppress that but what would be ideal would be to find the original trigger in the first place and then you may actually have a cure.
  • The microglia cells are really the culprit. When you’re feeling overall pain and you’re feeling fatigue, it’s probably something to do with the microglia.
  • Microglia are immune cells in the brain And they are responsible for protecting the brain from everything. Bacterial, viral, from cancers, from cell death. They have to clean up the debris; they have to clean up synapses. They do everything.
  • In a lot of these chronic pain and chronic fatigue conditions, the individual’s microglia are in this kind of angry, hypersensitive state
  • If there’s an imbalance in the types of bacteria that’s in the gut, it can very easily set up a local inflammatory condition and then if that process persists for too long, those elements of inflammation, including lipopolysaccharides and other things, can leak outside the gut.
  • We know that gum inflammation can become heart inflammation so there’s a spread there. You may have inflammation in your knee and if that’s not taken care, that may gradually migrate and it can eventually penetrate the blood brain barrier and become a neuroinflammatory condition.
  • It’s really, really important not to let peripheral neuroinflammatory things or gut inflammatory things to persist for too long because, over time, they can spread kind of like a wildfire and become harder to treat later on.
  • One of the major purposes of my lab is to develop brain imaging techniques that will allow physicians and clinicians to diagnose neuroinflammation.
  • Low-dose naltrexone was never designed to treat neuroinflammation but we know through many, many, many studies that it does go to the microglia and push them back to their normal state, their anti-inflammatory state.
  • Low-dose naltrexone works really well for fibromyalgia.
  • Several supplements have shown promise in reducing inflammation: Curcumin, Stinging Nettle, Resveratrol, Luteolin, Quercetin.
  • As absolutely horrible and devastating as a neuroinflammatory condition can be as much as we look in the brain we can find no evidence that anything is being destroyed: the neurons look intact, the synapses look intact. We do not see that there is long lasting damage.
  • Once we get a handle on suppressing the neuroinflammation, there’s a very good chance that these people who’ve been suffering for years can go back to feeling normal.

ljimbo423

As absolutely horrible and devastating as a neuroinflammatory condition can be as much as we look in the brain we can find no evidence that anything is being destroyed: the neurons look intact, the synapses look intact. We do not see that there is long lasting damage.

Thanks for posting this! I am becoming more and more convinced that my worst symptoms are from neuro-inflammation.

My flares feel very much like the flu, so I'm fairly convinced it is neuro-inflammation causing them.

When I get a flare, which only last 2 days now, which is great. They use to last 7-10 days. They often make me feel like something is seriously wrong with me, physically.

Then a couple days later, I often feel really good, like nothing happened. Which lets me know there isn't anything seriously wrong with me.

I will do my best to hold onto the statement above when I do have a flare in the future!

ljimbo423

Jarred Younger says that the microglia (immune cells in the brain) become "hypersensitive" or "primed" after multiple infections or insults and over-react to very little stimuli.

Pumping out pro-inflammatory cytokines and causing fatigue, brain fog, flu-like symptoms, aches and pains etc.

He says at the 10:00 mark.

"This is provable, we can take a healthy individual and inject them with lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and that gets into the brain.

It's from a bacteria but it tricks the immune system into thinking there is an infection. Which causes the microglia to go into their activated state and produce the chemicals.

If I take a healthy person and inject them with lipopolysaccharide(LPS) and activate the microglia. That person will start to feel depressed, they will get very tired, they will have pain sensitivity and their cognition will just bottom out."

So what Jarred is saying is, LPS in the bloodstream, triggers fatigue, aches and pains and brain fog even in healthy people.

I have links to 5-6 studies that show high levels of lipopolysacharides from the gut, in the blood of ME/CFS patients, verses controls.

In Jarred's quote above he says that LPS "get into the brain"!

S-VV

I too have experienced a stark increase in suicidal feelings accompanied by general weakness and a strong malaise sensation centered in the gut.

S-VV

At this point I don't really know if it's LPS inflammation, or my mental state being unable to cope with additional fatigue. Let's hope for the former!

Thinktank

Within hours of getting food poisoning, or something like a virus, I immediately get suicidal and my brain gets much foggier. I also get super tired (given).

I too have experienced a stark increase in suicidal feelings accompanied by general weakness and a strong malaise sensation centered in the gut.

Yup, me too!
My neuroinflammation has flared up and i'm having suicidal ideation again. For me there's a clear connection between the gut and the brain.

S-VV

I'm really sorry your going through it. It can become a really dark place.

I keep my spirit sane knowing that there are people that have,through effort and knowledge, become able to lead a semi-normal Life

Fogbuster

If you have a bad day,
read the two bottom key points:thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the breakdown of the video, it's far beyond anything I could do in the constant foggy state I'm in.

From a IBS/SIBO 2018 summit video, Dr Weinstock (gastroenterologist) has shared that he's had great success with LDN on patients in his practice with complex, difficult to treat issues related to SIBO/MCAS.

Not sure how I'd go about getting it prescribed by my doc though. Would probably have to go private for that.

jesse's mom

This is exciting for me overall! Also the fact that Dr Younger is a 5 hour drive for me. I would love to be in his clinical trials.

I broke my gut healing diet with the leftover holiday food and a couple of adult beverages. I was in hell yesterday with severe pain and depression and oversensitivity to sound and just getting my feelings hurt over things that usually roll right off me!

Severe fatigue today, and slow brain function. Noun confusion when speaking. Cannot spell at all. Blood pressure was high for two days.

Has Jarred Younger had luck treating me-patients with LDN or primarly FM?
Does anyone know what subgroup og patients (ie characteristica widespread pain/sensitivity/gut-problems) that are most likely to benefit from LDN? I get temgesic (subutex) for pain, but have to give that up if I shall try LDN and wonder if anoone knows the odds for it to ease synothoms.
Ps very uncharacteristic suicidal thoughts occour here as well when the head feel like exploding and all sounds are unbearable. Not depressed, just "too much pain & exhaustion to carry"

Hufsamor

@jesse's mom
I'm so sorry to hear that!:(
Food can be such a terrible monster
IMG_0263.JPG

jesse's mom

@froya , Dr Younger is doing research in Birmingham Alabama. He is not treating patients. There is a drop down on the home page of our board that has a list of good Drs all over the place.

I am not the one to ask with the science end of this board. I am much better at compassion and moral support. I did notice your posts were not getting much attention and want to get those in the know familiar with you and your questions.

There are many such as @Learner1, @ljimbo423 and @Hip and many more who can help you with your questions.