• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

20mg prednisolone as a rescue remedy?

A week or two ago I came across a post (via a Google search) which I'm sure was here on PR, where a member said that taking 20mg of pred either before or straight after some exertion helped as a rescue remedy to stave off or at least lessen their PEM. Now I can't find any such post for the life of me.

I am interested in a) finding the post and b) whether anyone else has any experience of using steroids in this way?

I know that several years back I felt almost well when I took a course of pred for an autoimmune condition, so I'm thinking this could work well for me. I also did a very short hydrocortisone taper last winter when I caught a virus (20mg downwards) over the course of about a week, and it got me through a very bad cold which hit 'healthies' around me even worse than me.

Hip

A week or two ago I came across a post (via a Google search) which I'm sure was here on PR, where a member said that taking 20mg of pred either before or straight after some exertion helped as a rescue remedy to stave off or at least lessen their PEM. Now I can't find any such post for the life of me.

In case anyone wants to read the details about prednisolone taken just before major exertion completely preventing PEM, it's at the bottom of this long post (see the section entitled "Corticosteroids as Potent PEM Shielders").