• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PEM - Orthostatic Intolerance

Is this related to when you can not hold your head up straight? I remember during the beginning of the CFS ME it was very difficult to keep my head up. Like when I'm driving my head is laying next to the window to prop it up. Is this a sign that i'm in PEM?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Is this related to when you can not hold your head up straight? I remember during the beginning of the CFS ME it was very difficult to keep my head up. Like when I'm driving my head is laying next to the window to prop it up. Is this a sign that i'm in PEM?
I think we would need to know more to respond well. Othostatic intolerance is mostly related to your ability to stand and remain standing. Either your blood pressure drops and you go into a faint or pre-faint state, or your heart rate zooms up and stays there (POTS).

taniaaust1

I'd relate my inability to hold my head up at times more to just the ME and ME weakness and not to my severe orthostatic intollerance. OI more so causes things like the need to lay down.

Your post is confusing as its headed "orthostatic intollerance" but I just realized you are though asking about PEM. These are two different things

PEM can make one become weak and make it harder to hold up head.

I'd relate my inability to hold my head up at times more to just the ME and ME weakness and not to my severe orthostatic intollerance. OI more so causes things like the need to lay down.

Your post is confusing as its headed "orthostatic intollerance" but I just realized you are though asking about PEM. These are two different things

PEM can make one become weak and make it harder to hold up head.

My apologies, I thought they were related or a sign of PEM occurring.

Strawberry

@JinZ I used to think that my inability to hold my head up was related to PEM, but now I'm thinking it could be cranial instability or cranial settling. Have you seen any of jeff's posts about it? Mine could be caused from my hypermobility, or a neck injury. I haven't had it checked out yet, but what you describe seems so similar to myself.

Here is one thread
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...omes-with-dr-kaufman.55707/page-5#post-944164

And another
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/connective-tissue-problems.56788/#post-943591