Why you react to some probiotics - some answers

Blog entry posted by Lassesen, Jul 18, 2018.

A reader wrote today:

"I have been trying B. longum BB536 as I have read it lowers d lactate producers

Seems its helping gut function but giving hot flashes and some heart palps, wondering why?"

The light went on --- I have just gotten a reasonable size of end-products relationships (5800). Perhaps we may be lucky and get some idea of what B.longum does.

So I have added end products to the bacteria detail pages. For example:

http://microbiomeprescription.azure...s?taxon=216816&taxname=Bifidobacterium longum

And you will see at the bottom of the page:

End Products
  • ?-Amino butyric acid (GABA)
  • Biotin (Vitamin B7)
  • Folate (Vitamin B9)
  • Lactic acid
  • L-Tryptophan
  • Pyridoxine
  • Thiamine (Vitamin B1)
  • Urolithins
If I go to another probiotic, Lactobacillus acidophilus, I see a different combination,

End Products
  • Acetylcholine
  • Cobalamin (Vitamin B12)
  • Lactate
  • Lactic acid
  • Trimethylamine
  • Urolithins
  • Vitamin K
Or looking at my favorite Japanese probiotic, Miyarisan (Clostridium butyricum) we see here

End Products
  • Acetate
  • Butanol
  • Butyrate
And another Japanese one, Lactobacillus Casei

End Products
  • Acetylcholine
  • Cobalamin (Vitamin B12)
  • Histamine
  • Lactate
  • Lactic acid
  • ß-Glucan
  • Trimethylamine
  • Urolithins
Bottom Line
This presents a very different way of looking at probiotics. If you have a low amount of an end product (or symptoms associated with a low amount), then you may wish to surf thru the probiotics listed (with other bacteria) here.

For more information on EndProduct determination from a uBiome or Thryve sample, see:

Lassesen

About the Author

CFS Remissions Curated Posts
  1. Christopher
    how prescient...i just started taking bb536 lately and having what i think is really bad die off. (perhaps candida or a novel fungal infection, unsure). not sure if the bb536 is responsible for the crash but it does correlate. not that i was doing 100% either but this feels like toxicity