One of the effects of being mostly homebound is that I have fewer adventures. Adventures were a big part of my life. I miss them.
So I'm compiling a list of adventures to have when you're stuck at home. I invite you to tell me your ideas, and I will add them to this list. Please comment on this post or message me.
I'm defining adventure as discovering of what is new/unusual to me, especially when it can make me excited. Being a bit daring somehow is also an adventure - there's got to be an element of risk involved. Adventuring for me used to centre around new places, but this looser definition might allow for more adventures at home.
- Exploring with Google Earth (Google Earth Voyager has cool adventures, or you can just roll the dice and have the app deliver you to a random place on earth!).
- Exploring the night sky through virtual telescopes.
- Taking a free online course (from Harvard, no less!).
- Virtually volunteering to help blind people navigate the world around them.
- Digitizing old records (things like census or immigration records) so they can be searched online (I classify this as an 'adventure' because I like to imagine the lives of the people whose names I'm typing).
- Learning a new language.
- Joining an online book club.
- Donating your voice (don't worry-unlike the Little Mermaid you get to keep your voice!).
- Helping scientists with research projects.
- Observing how the flowers grow in the garden over time (this is a new interest to me).
- Re-discovering possessions I haven't looked at in a long time.
- Cooking to a new recipe - the internet is full of recipes you've never tried.
- Sexual exploration.
- Trying a new yoga move - changing my body through building muscle is new to me.
- Reading The Artist's Way - lots of mini adventure ideas in that book.
- Drawing with a new medium.
- Podcasts - I'm listening to In Sickness + In Health, someone with ME recommended it to me; I've also listened to an episode each of the Food Medic and My Dad Wrote A Porno which I enjoyed. Podcasts are new to me.
- Dressing up - I dress as a drag queen at home for Ru Paul drag race finales and get the others to dress up too.
- Painting my lips dark blue, purple, or almost black when I go out - it's daring!
- Writing something true about yourself, then sharing it with other(s) who may find it challenging (hopefully in a useful way).
- Youtube surfing - learning about things that are totally new to you. Try nature videos - this one is about Radiolarians.
- Plant seeds from fruit you have eaten, and help them grow.
- Take a photo every day from the same angle, then make it into a time-lapse and share on social media. Great for showing how things change over time.
- Make a collage of a place you want to be. One couple cut out flowers and dogs from magazines and made a colourful garden on the refrigerator door.
- Subscribe to online audio books.
- Knit for charity.
- Do something different with your hair or clothing or style.
- Make changes in your space, your room, your bed covering, or your place.
- Search for a new website to enjoy - try Discuvver or URL Roulette for random links to websites.
- Create a map from satellite images of Tanzania to help end Female Genital Mutilation. Project info here and mapping tool here.
Many of these things I can't do very often, but doing it a bit when I can still makes a difference.
Some of the things on this list are new/unusual TO ME but might not be new to you. For it to be an adventure, you have to try something new, or not do it very often, or push your boundaries somehow.
Adventures to have when you're stuck at home
Blog entry posted by lior, Oct 8, 2018.