• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Winter Arrived Early

(originally posted at Sundog Tales)

An early snowstorm and cold front brought some amazing weather this week. This time I decided to capture it on film!

Last week Planet Thrive <a href="http://planetthrive.com/2010/11/mcs-survivalist-guide-part-1/">published an article </a>I wrote on how to survive in a tent during winter. I found the last few days entertaining as I had to live the same advice I had just written about ... especially the times I blatantly went against my own advice! Such as eating half frozen paleo pancakes for dinner when I had no way to get warm afterward - but ohhhh, they were good!

While going through all this, I came across an article about <a href="http://www.bmj.com/content/339/bmj.b4965.full">Leonid Rogozov</a>, a Russian surgeon who in 1961 had to remove his own appendix or die. Admittedly, it made me feel like my own experiences of the last 48 hours paled in comparison, but I also felt a kinship to him.

People tell me that they can't imagine living as I do with these difficulties and hardships. And yet, the same drive to look outside the box for ways to survive and take them in stride is the same drive Leonid would have felt fifty years ago.

I wonder sometimes - is this imperative to live genetically coded in our DNA, or is it a function of something more ethereal and hard to define?

There are many people out there who quickly buckle under stress and become hopelessly lost in a crisis. What is different in my life compared to theirs that has prepared me to be calm and decisive under pressure? As far back as I can remember, I have always been this way.

When I was 9, there was a large earthquake in Los Angeles; it was my first. I went to school like normal and to me it was just another day, more exciting than most, but nothing to worry about. Later that night, my mom told me she had gotten a call from my teacher. I'd been so calm and helpful with the other kids who were crying wrecks, that on a hectic day she was impressed enough to take a few spare moments and tell my mom personally.

Have the same genetics that cause me to be toxically ill from everyday life also given me the strength to survive the devastation they cause? Or maybe the human spirit for survival resides in a less well defined place.

My accomplishments are less dramatic than the stories told of legends and heroes, but it is with these people that I feel a hard won kinship. It fills me with a warm joy and chases away some of the loneliness life has brought me, because I know my feet walk the same path theirs once did.

And I have to wonder, did they also feel the same loneliness that I do?

Comments

Beautiful post, Lisa. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed getting a glimpse into your world (and hearing your voice!). I've often wondered where that resilience of human spirit and will to overcome ultimately dwells. Not sure we will ever know for sure, but I'm so grateful for its strength. And I'm so grateful for its strength in you and Jeremy as well! Amazing all you have to face each day.

Hi Laurel. :) Thanks for stopping by and reading. I was thrilled to read your own blog and see how closely it matched mine yesterday. I'm happy to have gotten the chance to know you and that your own strength allows you to keep going with a lot of style and grace. :) Hugs!

I must say it freaks me out to see those pictures......they make me think of Lauren Hillenbrandts new subject - but you are an inspiration and good luck with everything...

Do you actually do better in the winter? I found as my MCS increased I was less and less able to tolerate vegatation and wet ground. Might things a bit better in the cold?

Great video by the way! I hope you can doing them and documenting your experiences out there.

Hi Cort! :) I don't do well when its humid and warm - too many molds. But overall when the temps finally drop to winter levels, the molds decrease dramatically and I start perking up. Or rather I will once I'm rested again. :) Big hugs! Lisa

Blog entry information

Author
Lisa
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Lisa