• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What I'd like for my 53rd birthday . . .

This month, I will be tuning 53, marking our 31st year with ME. My wife & I both became ill in 1987. What I’d like for my birthday is for this scenario to change:

Some of the most painful and alarming times in our years of illness have been when we’ve had to enter a hospital emergency room for a life-threatening event and encountered one of these responses when we give the name of our disease (chronic fatigue syndrome):

A. “What’s that?”

B. “Oh yeah, the Yuppie Flu.”

C. “I have that too. I get so wiped out chasing my 2-year old around the
house before I come to work every day.”

Someone might ask, “What difference would it make? Who cares if they don’t know what it is or how serious it can be?” Besides the obvious comfort any patient receives when the doctor or medical staff knows about and understands his or her condition, there are serious medical repercussions:

First, many medications could have extremely detrimental effects, especially if given without a certain diagnosis or for preventative purposes (prophylactically). This would include antibiotics, which typically worsen the disease even if they succeed in clearing an infection that could have been treated differently. Secondly, there are many medications (statins, metformin, antibiotics, etc.) that are known to suppress mitochondrial function, something that is impaired in ME/CFS. Ignorance of this fact could cause a patient to relapse and lose the current level of functioning.

Finally, if there were a need for a prolonged hospital stay, the lack of awareness of our physical limitations (e.g., need for rest between activities, PEM, etc.) could lead to worsening of the disease by overexertion.

It is sheer medical negligence that between 1-2 million Americans are affected by this neuroimmune disease and hardly any research has been done for the past 30 years. That’s at least twice the number of MS patients, and the funding has been 100 times less for ME, a more disabling disease.

As ME patient, Liz Burlingame (in an 11/28/17 Atlanta Journal-Constitution article), said about the ignorance of this condition, even among doctors, “The name chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) might just kill me someday.”

Comments

@RWP, first of all, Happy Birthday!

I am with you. What you want for your birthday is what I want.

I am tired of the looks we get, mostly from doctors! Ignorance. So I pray, for your birthday, that these doctors would at least read up about the research. Give us a chance at recognition instead of negativity to undermine us. ( can't come up with the right words ). Hope, give us Hope, and support.

Thanks for sharing RWP, those statements you shared.....so hurtful. I hope you and your wife are doing ok. Especially on your Birthday!
Big Hugs!

Blog entry information

Author
RWP (Rest without Peace)
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from RWP (Rest without Peace)