• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VIP, a very important peptide in CFS

You probably dont have enough VIP. 98% of people with CFS dont. The MCS crowd hasnt yet been testing, but when you learn what this neuropeptide does, youll probably surmise that low levels play a big role in that syndrome as well.

Ive been thinking of going to Dr. Rea for allergy testing and environmental evaluation since Im only about 3 hours from Dallas. When I read that VIP, vaso-intestinal-peptide, plays a role in regulating sensitivity to chemicals and other inhalants, I started to wonder: Should I just bumble along without knowing what I react to, continuing to use my intuition and somatic reactions as the most accurate barometer of safety? And then continue working with the Shoemaker protocol until I can take VIP?

Its too soon to know the answer. But I inform myself about VIP as I seek to understand my body and the way to restore it to optimal health.

In Ritchie Shoemakers 2011 IACFS paper, Vasoactive intestinal polypeptide (VIP) lowers C4a and TGF beta-1, corrects refractory symptoms and normalizes abnormal biomarkers in patients with CFS, the role of VIP is elaborated in detail.

He wrote: VIP raises cAMP; lowers pulmonary artery (PASP) responses to exercise, blocks peripheral innate immune activation; reduces apoptosis of glial cells undergoing oxidative stress; raises VEGF; restores circadian rhythm; regulates response to olfactory stimuli in the suprachiasmatic nucleus; regulates dendritic calls; regulates Th17 function in autoimmunity; enhances IL-10 production; and modulates innate immunity.

Lets put that into lay persons terms.
1. Raises cAMP, short for cyclic Adenosine Mono Phosphate. This molecule is one step away from ATP, the energy molecule, the one that mitochondria make in great abundance when they work properly. All of us with fatiguing illnesses have low ATP, some from mitochondria damage, as Dr. Sarah Myhill has shown, some from interference in the citric acid cycle due to heavy metals (especially mercury and aluminum), some from poor metabolism of sugars that feed the citric acid cycle with pyruvate, some from a deficiency of oxygen transport into the mitochondria, etc. From Wikipedia we read, cAMP is used for transferring the effects of hormones like glucagon and adrenaline, which cannot pass through the cell membrane. It is involved in the activation of protein kinases and regulates the effects of adrenaline and glucagon. It also regulates the passage of calcium ions through ion channels. If you, like me, have issues with sugar metabolism (but not diabetes) and with adrenaline, you probably have low cAMP and would benefit from raising it. In addition, cAMP affects cognitive function (not a big surprise since those brain cells of ours need to work properly. By researchers have found a specific relationship between low cAMP and the cognitive deficits in age-related illnesses and ADHD.

Read more at Search for the Cure
Reactions: ukxmrv

Comments

that is so helpful thank you - I have issues with blood sugar, but not diabetes. I am seeing Dr Myhill and my mito's are indeed impaired, but have not yet normalised with the treatments we have tried. I react badly to molds, and have just read Dr Shoemaker's Mold Warriors book. You've added another bit of the puzzle for me - please blog more on how it turns out for you with Dr Rhea

Blog entry information

Author
JanisB
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from JanisB