• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Undermanned, On Demand / The Great Valentine's Day Mascara

Hostility Towards the Opposition

I think it's Monday evening. Whatever evening Valentine's Day falls upon. Right now I am considering my options. Tonight's CNA is angry. Clearly she is. How do I know this? After having pushed the help button, she came barreling into my room soon thereafter with a head of steam and a facial expression filled with disdain. The first and only word out of her mouth was "What?"

So I explained to her that I needed some tap water for my formula bag. I even said "please" several times, hoping it would diffuse her anger.

It did not.

Beyond that, she came into my room without a mask… and that's the first time that's ever happened since I've been here (4.5 months). Luckily, I'm not at risk right now. But I suspect the other residents will be (and have been) taking their chances this evening.

Of course, my main reasoning for pushing the "help" button was that I needed help. I need help with materials and warm water so that I can clean my stoma nightly. And I haven't been able to do so since Friday night because… I end up too damn tired waiting for the graveyard shift nurse to make her way down to my room. Last night? Well, she didn't show up at all! I dozed off immediately after flushing my tube, and without a bandage on... while listening to Cephalic Carnage. Or was it Nightmarer?

Either way, I awoke at 1:07 a.m. not having received a visit from the on-duty nurse. So yes, I went "without'' again. Not that I'm particularly worried about getting an infection of any sort. My immune system is hyper-vigilant! Or as I often proclaim, hyper-vigilantly!!

So for no reason whatsoever, I asked this angry CNA if she could notify the nurse that I need assistance changing out my formula bag, as well as other kinds of help.

"I'll tell her…" the CNA responded. But also, I sensed a subtle whiff of "it ain't going to do any good."

Note: In case things fall through this evening, which it looks as though they might, I have an alternate solution.

So that's what I'm up against this evening. Luckily and fortunately, my day was a good one, and probably much better than that!

Note: Okay, I just found out that the Angry CNA has been the only CNA working the entire floor for the past two hours. So, I'll graciously excuse her abruptness, her lack of tact, and her masklessnes, because...

We are all imperfect. Me especially!

The next shift is in, and this CNA is running solo as well. But at least the overnight hours are typically less chaotic, especially after meds are handed out.

V.D.

So yeah, today is Valentine's Day, but I'm not religious. What this means is that I don't believe in the Valentine's Dude (is he a real person?).

Well, maybe that's not it. If I remember correctly (which oftentimes I do not), Valentine's Day has something to do with a bloody massacre that took place somewhere overseas. Probably Ireland. Maybe Denmark. Or was it in Kazakhstan?

Anyway, I didn't expect much, if any, Valentine's Day acknowledgement. I mean really, it's a girl thing. However, I did receive a few text messages early on, insisting that I do indeed enjoy Valentine's Day to the fullest extent allowable by law. So based upon this unofficial go ahead, this freeing attitude, I figured, what the hell? ...and decided to do what I can. Do what I could? Arghhh! English! Well.. you know what I mean, don't you?

Fast forward several hours -

I am outside chilling in my Geri Cart, located in my usual spot.. the northeast quadrant of the courtyard, adjacent to the broken automatic handicapped door.

By the way, am I handicapped? What's the official designation for somebody who can't get up and out of bed or move around or do much of anything? Since I have no known diagnosis, technically, there's nothing really wrong with me.

Anyways - right as I'm comfortably settling in, Staff Member Linda comes pushing through the door at the far opposite end of the courtyard. And she immediately addresses Sharia… which makes lots of sense, because she's the only other person in the courtyard besides me. But despite the obviousness of it all, I sense there's something more sinister afoot. Perhaps even ...a conspiracy in the making!

You see, Linda brought with her an unmodified pushcart, the kind that wibble-wobbles all over the place, is clickety-noisy as heck, and is made out of a solid-state plastic compound that's likely toxic to all living things. But more importantly than all that, the cart was loaded with what appeared to be snacks and candies and bottles of hand sanitizer.

Because I am within earshot, I hear Linda offer Soraya a piece of chocolate. And then she offers to give her a shoulder massage. So I'm thinking, perhaps this is a Valentine's Day thing. Something to brighten the spirits of the womenfolk… which is important, because it's a well-known fact that womenfolk have more spirits than menfolk.

So Linda is going at it, massaging Cerrillos shoulders, while I disappear back into my music. Kinobe. Electric Wizard. Godflesh. The Scissor Girls. The usual assortment. Or should I say, the unusual assortment?

Then suddenly in the midst of all this intense music listening, Linda appears before me. And before I can refuse her candy coated services, or the free hand sanitizing option, she speaks authoritatively.

"Your skin is still dry. And you haven't been using the lotion that your faraway friend sent you, so I am going to lotion-you-up... whether you like it or not!"

It seemed as though I didn't have a choice. "Well okay then, let's do this!" I thought to myself...

But before doing so, she did give me a choice, the option of choosing a scented lotion versus one that smelled like absolutely nothing at all. I chose scented. Why? Because I enjoy scents and sensations simultaneously!

She then proceeded to slather all kinds of lotion on me, from my fingers up to my shoulder blades. Part of me wanted to stop her. Despite my recent physical improvements my muscles are still pressure sensitive now and again. But I figured, what the heck.. mainly because I was feeling so darned good having someone touch me. Dedicated attention. Indeed. And before I knew it, Linda was also taking care of my legs, all the way down to my toes.

As typically happens, I figured that within 15 minutes I would be crashing hard. Very hard. But the crash seemed to be slow in coming. As mentioned previously, I am improving. Noticeably. Notably.

Then she finished.

Or did she?

"Let's wash your hair!" She offered with unrivaled enthusiasm.

This was something we discussed previously, something she suggested doing. But I never once considered taking action. Use the garden hose to wash my hair in the middle of the nursing home courtyard? I thought we were joking around.

So, I began to protest, not because I wasn't open to experience, but she'd already done enough. Way more than enough. But her hands-on attention humanized me, to the extent that I couldn't resist. It had been nearly two years since I'd been paid attention to in such a way. That was back when I had my initial original awesome fantastic caregiver. You remember her, don't you?

So Linda released the parking brake and wheeled me forward into the warming sunlight. I held my head over the edge of the cart. And then … icy ice cold water drenched my head. Talk about feeling alive, Yowzaaa!

Then, in measured intervals, she poured pink shampoo over my head, proceeded to massage my scalp, and then concluded with a thorough rinsing with that very same ice cold water. But by then, the temperature of the water didn't seem to matter as much. My hair was clean as could be.

And then, you would think we were done, right? Nope. Not done. She asked me if I wanted my hair combed. Per her astute observing, she somehow determined that no one had combed my hair in quite a long time. So I let her comb me. And it took quite a while with my tiny black plastic $0.69 comb. So while she undid my baby dreads, we chatted about this and that… same as we always do. Except, I was becoming very relaxed. Extremely relaxed, nearly working my way into a meditative state. Head to toe, my muscles were totally completely at ease. No fight or flight. No on-edge agitation. No nothing.

And then she was finished.

I spent the next four hours merely existing, simply being, feeling really okay about things. And I cannot recall the last time I was so relaxed, much less, for an extended period of time. And it may not seem like much at all to any of you, but what she did was very impactful.

After me, she had an additional 113 residents to tend to. Or in the least, some exorbitant number well beyond my ability to comprehend. Luckily, most of the other folk have access to regular showering. I suspect, but can I confirm, clean hair is the rule here. Either way, I am the exception.

Later that afternoon Dan came strolling outside half an hour early (for the designated smoke break). And it's not unusual for us to discuss things, for a few moments at a time, silent intervals between. But today… Wow! He was a regular chatterbox. And it didn't take me long to figure out why. He mentioned having lotion put on his arms, seeming rather enthusiastic in regards to the overall experience.

So for the next 30 minutes we went back and forth like an endless volley at a tennis match ...on steroids. Or meth. Maybe both? Dan was in a different place altogether, to the extent that he dominated the conversation… a welcomed change of pace.

So for at least one person other than myself, Linda's unsung efforts were noticeably beneficial. Although I guess, by me writing this, her efforts are now being sung.

In any case, I'm sure her fingers (and related muscles) will be sore as heck tomorrow, and possibly for the days following. Lotioning-up all those people (not to mention the countless shoulder massages) would likely take a lot out of a person.

Cheers to Linda. :)

I've got a "Part 2" all lined up, but I don't want to inundate you with too many blasted words.. as is my tendency. For now, 1,787 words should suffice.

Take care,
Howard

20220216_154810_hdr_2_optimized.jpg

Comments

It seems there is a Saint Linda. She definately doesn't work here, there were no saints during my episode of ER.

This hair washing and maintenance business is a big deal for us humans.

Maybe we really are just fancy monkeys.

I thought married was going to mean somebody was going to be brushing my hair. Thats because I read the book Rebecca, in junior high school.

You had no clue what married was about but this idea that some man would brush my hair, well I could really get behind that one. (and I'd already received a Valentine from a boy, my future was secured!)

When it really never happened, that was tragic! (the hair brushing part)

The lotion was scented? You and I definitely aren't in the same ME subgroup, even tho I at times share that my stomach isn't emptying, either.

Some of us are watching Ozark, on Netflix- (money laundering).

Spoiler Spoiler: this charming young man, Wyatt, well he doesn't quite get around to washing his hair very often.

Wyatt got his hair washed by Darlene in the sink- was a major scene.

Wonderfull, afterwards. What a relief. I wonder if the actor actually decided to not wash his hair for the whole five months of filming? Thats hard to fake. I wonder if Linda just saw that episode?

When it really never happened, that was tragic! (the hair brushing part)

Hair...I did have a friend whose husband would brush her hair. She had long hair too; down to her waist. It was sweet really.

Unfortunately, they sabotaged their marriage by buying a brand new Trans Am ($500+ monthly car payment) just a couple weeks before he was being discharged from the military. That meant no free military housing anymore and no jobs lined up either.

When she excitedly told me about the new car, I thought, "uh-oh" and tried to talk her into seeing if he would re-enlist. Nah.

Money issues are supposed to be responsible for 41% of all divorces according to statistics. So maybe the hair brushing wasn't the important thing 'cause you're still married and she isn't.

Two more hair stories...there is a chef on YT. He's an excellent chef, but he doesn't keep his hair very clean. I just cannot watch his channel anymore after seeing one video where he picked a hair off a cookie sheet. :depressed:

He has a huge following though...I'm just not one of them. (Hey, my Mom was a restaurant manager. Everyone wore hair pulled back and/or hair nets or she would have a fit.)

Last story...we went to Florida to see friends of my Dad. We went out to a somewhat fancy restaurant. One of the waiters had shoulder length hair and well in this restaurant they carried the trays on their shoulders. I guess you can figure the rest. Yep.

Thank the Lord, he wasn't our waiter but there was a collective, "Ewww" from our table when we watched his hair slide across the food on his tray just before he served it. :vomit:

Why is it that when we find a hair it is so off-putting? In one's food....yes, that's a huge no-no and I can't eat it if a stray hair is found. Hair nets are the answer, used to be anyway and you never see them today. Probably because they didn't do anything to enhance one's appearance.

I hate it when my hair starts to fall out (it's a ritual, it seems) and there are strays that are everywhere. All the vitamins in the world don't seem to stop it and a dermatologist once told mem hair has to fall out at some point because it has to be replaced. Must be why animals need constant brushing...which gets us back to Rebecca, etc.

@Judee, your friends didn't think things through very carefully, did they? Not wise to move into another category until you're really ready to and a lot of these young people are still paying off the cost of weddings.

@andy knows about our American history...even the criminal part of it.

My hair is nice and clean too,.....but being bedridden doesn't keep it that way for long. Yours, Lenora.

HI Howard.....Oh, do you have a crush on Linda or is it the lotion she has? Smart woman, I'm sure she has a lot of followers. It's nice to know that people are made to feel special....because well, they are.

The sense of touch is so important and needed by most humans. To be hugged and feel close to someone....even if it's for a couple of minutes is a very special feeling. (Yes, I'll warn you....I like touching and holding people, by respect all of the rules in these days of COVID. Even I miss touching people). Funny, we'll shower love on special things like our pets, yet feel reluctant to do so to another human being.

Well, I guess being taken the wrong way has to be taken into consideration...still.

Howard, you don't have to be religious to enjoy Valentine's Day. I think very few people must consider St. Valentine before they're just happier b/c it can be a rather special day....and I realize that it can also be a rather sad one. As always, it depends upon where we are in life.

She had long hair too; down to her waist. It was sweet really.

Yes, this romantic idea does not guarantee you'll make the car payment. The rent. Or keep that one around.

My grandaughter, just two, found it fascinating when I managed to get her distracted mother to comb and brush my hair, still rather long because its still 1969, right?

She gazed at me and started to pet me, stroking my cheek, and my shoulder and my arm, suggesting I was this female object to be worshiped and adored. It was this rather amazing moment worth always remembering. Almost Cleopatra.

Try touching the toddler. She might agree to lie down next to me, as I am who found Trash Truck, such a great cartoon. Its just the garbage truck, a bear, a raccoon and a charming rat, with a little boy and an oak tree.

I put my hand on her knee. She removes it. I put my hand back. She removes it yet again.

still rather long because its still 1969, right?

I did try some differing hair do-s over time.

It was very very short twice. Since the top is straight, and the bottom is curly ropes, that didn't look too good. And short hair requires involvement.

Back to longer.

The shag/layers/sort of like a mullet frankly-oh that went on long enough.

Back to the 1969 hair. At least I've stoped ironing it, and now go long periods of time not washing it.

(I need to notice which famous chef has greasy hair?)

My grandaughter, just two, found it fascinating when I managed to get her distracted mother to comb and brush my hair, still rather long because its still 1969, right?

She gazed at me and started to pet me, stroking my cheek, and my shoulder and my arm, suggesting I was this female object to be worshiped and adored. It was this rather amazing moment worth always remembering. Almost Cleopatra.

Little girls are fascinated with long hair. I think it's one of the reasons Mattel doesn't have too many barbie dolls with short hair.

In that sense, I'm glad it's still 1969 for you. Ladies hairstyles in our modern culture seem to go exponentially shorter with each consecutive decade of life so it's nice to see when someone is resisting that trend. :)

I'm not sure he's "famous" but he does have a 5.77 million followers of his YT channel who don't seem to mind his long greasy hair.

Im an official You Tuber, the free version with commercials! We decided to see what happened if we could avoid actual stations. There is a whole art to finding things you want to see like: the news.

I think it's one of the reasons Mattel doesn't have too many barbie dolls with short hair.

I bought my little girl Malibu Barbie: world record for longest Barbie hair.

At some point, half of Malibu Barbie's hair went missing. Some visiting three year old was blamed.

It was not until decades later, I learned the truth, my perfect daughter lied, SHE cut the half that hair off, and undermined entirely the planned resale value.

I"ve had people cut half my hair off in one fell swoop, not following the instructions- oh several times.

Aww...no. That's even worse than the Barbie's hair. Bet you had lots of "hat days" for a while after those visits.

I've had a couple "hat days" in my past too but most of the time I did it to myself.
Like, "Mom, don't you think this hair color would look nice on me?"

I should have gotten the hint when she always responded with, "Well...um...it should be interesting." Nah.

Aww...no. That's even worse than the Barbie's hair. Bet you had lots of "hat days" for a while after those visits.

My adult daughter she just insists on pursuing this Perfect method of hair cutting.

Gather up this longish hair, in to a high pony tail, then cut a huge bunch of inches off.

the result? part of the top of my hair was three inches long, another part was 14 inches long.

that method didn't work, dear. (the sounds of my scream..and 2 years to grow that part out)

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
7 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard