• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Those are the Brakes / Hu are You? / No Solo Contendo / Keeping Tablets

Warning: This is an extra-long super expanded edition - many words were used in the making of this blog entry!

Warning #2: Howard does not go to ER as a result of anything that happens in this episode!

Today Might Be Wednesday

By the time Olga wheeled me outside this morning my grey hooded jacket was no longer required. Yep, it was already an easy 61° heading up and into a savagely warm 80° (fine… unseasonable.. not particularly savage!). None of the locals wants that kind of warmth in February. At least they shouldn't. Summer is rather long, drawn-out, and barely tolerable here in the desert.

Olga's a newer CNA here at this facility. And she's a quick study. Very focused. Seemingly dedicated. But this was the first time she brought me out into the courtyard realm on her own. And it turns out, she forgot to .. Well, let me explain. As you likely know by now, I am all about needlessly explaining.

So not long after she retreated back indoors, I shifted my body ever so slightly. And that's a normal thing. I shift, I stretch, extend my limbs outward, contract… Yes, I generally move all about without complications. But this time, my Geri Cart started rolling down hill. Mind you, it's not a steep gradient, but with even the slightest amount of momentum, I could possibly travel an easy dozen meters towards the center of the courtyard where difficult obstacles lay in wait.

Not wanting to deal with any of that, I reached all the way back and behind me in an attempt to engage the left rear wheel brake (as I slow-rolled along). But the wheel was facing the wrong direction, leaving the locking mechanism inaccessible. And it was the same thing for the right rear wheel. Wrong direction. No access.

It then occurred to me that my feeding pole, the one attached to my formula feed, and attached directly to my body, was beginning to separate.. in a real sense, pulling away from me. Yes, the distance was increasing and starting to tug. So I took hold of the pole, while simultaneously reaching down to the ground, my finger tips making contact with the cement directly…

Why the desperation? Well, bad things would happen if my tubing pulled out of my insides.

Anyway, my roll stopped entirely. My fingertips held that position, anchored into the cement, my body awkwardly twisted.

Eventually, a perplexed CNA named Kyle happened along. And he fixed things. Straightened me out. Locked me in.

I know I know I know, not all that exciting! But it's something that happened. And my quick thinking and fast reactions saved me from a whole lot of... Nothing. Most likely.

On a Guided Tour

Betsy and Blanche came outside to retrieve me early this afternoon, in fact, earlier than usual. I was having a difficult time staying awake / functioning properly. And it was obvious to all. My efforts to synchronize my lips in manners of speaking was turning ugly, turning into indecipherable mumblings. And that was unfortunate, because Jillian had come outdoors to speak with me (for our usual 40-minutes-long afternoon conversation). So nope, we didn't make it all the way through.

Note: I just cut out all the details, three paragraphs worth, explaining why it was that I was so tired. Basically, my sleep was interrupted on three separate occasions by two different CNAs overnight…

Anyways, Betsy and Blanche came to get me, came to bring me back to my room for a much needed nap. It's not necessary that both of them do so, but why the heck not? I'd had a very slow day socially, one brief visit from Linda early on, and then the aborted time spent chatting with Jillian.

And by the way, Jillian brought me my applesauce! And wouldn't you know, she's the official applesauce purchaser for each and every Howard in the facility! She's also really really really motivated, wanting me to eat real foods again, and again. In response, I ordered Hu (Get Back to Human) grain-free cookies. Snickerdoodle flavored. Paleo. Keto. So… no gluten, no dairy, no potato, no honey, no cane sugar either -

UPDATE: Besides giving me mild heartburn, the cookies are being well-tolerated at this point. Soooo… if you personally experience unfortunate reactions when eating food, these Hu people have products that may prove viable - MY RATING? Several thumbs up, and one thumb sideways!

Roommate Search (and nearly seizure-inducing)

It's been decided there are too many (difficult) residents located in my former locale. Yes, we're talkin' about the residents permanently residing up and down the length of my former hallway, also known as Wing #2. That's where I used to reside. Room 205. Very loud. Multiple TVs blaring at any given time. People moaning and groaning with regularity. Audibly suffering within earshot. Misery. Anger. Unmitigated Doom. Well, you get the idea, right?

Or perhaps more succinctly, that place over there is most akin to an Unregulated Deathfest.

Anyway, they're trying to even out the score. You see, it's rather peaceful here in my village. It doesn't get worse than having one, or maybe two televisions blaring at once. And then there's the "Nurse" crying guy across the way, that's what he shouts off and on throughout the day. "Nurse, nurse, nurse…" - mostly, it's that he wants more ketchup.

And then there's the "Help" woman next door. She used to be a religious matriarch in standing, but now she merely suggests that each of the CNA's is going to burn in hell… which would seem to be an unfortunate outcome, considering how much and how often they help her. At least "Help" woman is persistent, yet inconsistent with her demands… which makes for interesting outcomes.

So the thing is.. I am currently in need of a roommate. But really I'm not. Each of you knows this, right? So they are trying to place one of the more difficult residents over there (I am pointing) in the bed next to mine… because... there is an open unoccupied bed next to me.

And it was a rather close call today. You won't believe who they had pegged to be my new roommate (verified by three separate sources). You just won't believe it. Nope. You'll never guess. Never ever ever. It will never even occur to you to think this.

J - e - f - f

Yep

NO FLIPPING WAY!!!

Fortunately, a few people spoke up on my behalf. They represented, or even perhaps, stood up for me… explaining that I was moved out and away from this particular individual because… Reasons and Difficulties.

So that dreaded match-up was scrapped. At least, that's what I've heard. But there's no way to be certain. The only certainty is that sooner rather than later, I'm going to have an old person laying in the bed next to me watching television 24/7 at exceedingly loud volumes through the end of time.

The wait continues.

I shouldn't project, but ….

Note: guess what? I did project. And I just cut those paragraphs out of the equation. See how this works? I'm sparing you the details. Why, because you already know what would end up happening. And here on Howard's Nursing Home Blog, we are positively attuned.

ID - Who Am I?

The other issue I am now having is that the doctor's offices are insisting that I provide a formal means to identify myself. Nope, I do not have a driver's license, social security card, or anything else that indicates who I actually am. Either the Former Person misplaced these materials back at my former residence, they got lost in the ambulance on the way here, or someone stole my wallet upon arrival. Either way, I am nobody. I do not exist.

So I'm now working hand in hand with the Department of Motor Vehicles, hoping to resolve this issue. Well, maybe I'm not working with anybody, but I am currently on their web page, and it doesn't appear as though there's an easy resolution.

Part of the problem is that I don't recall my previous driver's license number, nor do I know which address appears on the license itself. Before I got hitched, I moved around a fair bit. Here and there. I mean… I can guess, right? Sure, I can do that! But how many wrong answers do they willingly accept before they kicking me off of the internet?

Let's see… I lived on Thunderbird (at the base of Lookout Mountain) for a while, then over on North 44th Street (off and on for a few years - directly across from Sonic), and then in my friend's garage for a while (I don't know if that counts)... But either way, I think we're talking about the 2007 timeframe here. Was I in apartment 116 or 216 back then? I actually lived in both. Not at the same time, of course. That would be insane. And moderately inefficient.

Eh, it'll come to me eventually.

Social Sessions

So you may be wondering what's happening on that front. Or perhaps, you may not be. Well, my dedicated Medical Advocate has been out of commission lately. She has her own thing going on. Health issues. And there's nothing really I can do on that end, to help. Words. Encouragement. Offering support in that way. But that's about it. Feeling helpless is rather disagreeable.

Linda and I get into it deeply (as we always seem to do) most days. But the thing is, she's always asking me these questions, either about me specifically, or questions having to do with my take on matters. Am I getting tired of hearing my own voice talk? Yes. Indeed I am.

However, she pushes me in directions that tend to reveal simple truths which I hadn't realized previously. It's like... the conversation starts in one place and then it goes all over the place, and then we end up back where we started, yet somehow, our discussion resolves a certain something that wasn't even recognized as needing a resolution in the first place!

Still, I need to find a way to balance this out, as it seems we are into more of a 66/33 mix (me versus her). So probably I am getting carried away. I could probably address this balance issue the next time we speak.

And speaking of speaking, I still frequently associate and connect with my faraway (for the past three years) friend. Mostly it's text messaging. But that arrangement seems to work out just swell. It's typically an everyday thing. And it's an every way thing. Plus, humor. Not many people can make me laugh often, nor amuse me, yet she is able to do both.

I've also got my friend locally, and we stay in touch weekly, probably more often than that. Again, it's through text messaging. He's aiming to visit me again once the Covid restrictions are lifted here at the nursing home. Anyway, we've been friends for over 30 years, off and on, breaks in between, but we always resume where we left off.

Then there's the new kid in town! And no, it's not Joe Walsh! You remember him don't you, when he joined the Eagles?

Her name is Mary (another alias), and she's the All-new Entertainer Person here. A Singer. And she may play the electric oboe. Or was it saxophone?

Anyway, she gave me two obsidian arrowheads the other day... because she felt I needed them. Cool as they are, I have no place to really put them, no safe place to display them. She insists that I carry one with me all the time, which I am willing to do, but I don't have a safe way or a safe place to do that either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hmmm… I should probably post a picture, for better suggesting!m

Betsy and Blanche? Yes, we socialize a whole lot, too. Many interactions. Words exchanged. Opinions offered. Stabs at humor. Slabs of goodness. Making a mockery of things. You know, the usual.

UPDATE: A staff member just gave me her tablet. It's a Samsung tablet. And what this means, possibly, is that I may be able to resume making music. Of course, I refused her gift offering several times initially. I mean, who gives someone a tablet?

So, if this works out, if I am able to download a free music studio app from Google Play, you may be hearing my dissonant brand of ugly music again sometime soon!

And someday soon (when I recover), instead of needing everybody to help me all the time, I'll be able to return the favor. Or at least, contribute to the cause.

Take care,
Howard

20220207_151139_optimized.jpg

Comments

You're going to have to put a cliffhanger alert on this one...right at the top because you had my heart going like a race horse with that run-away Geri Cart story.

I was so dreading it was going to mean a disaster and another trip to the ER for you that I think I crashed a little. L O L. :eek:
:xpem:

Oops.
Sorry.
I'll make mention that "Howard" does not go to ER as a result of anything that happens in this episode!

Glad I stumbled upon your comment at this late hour, I was in the midst of being neglected during the wee hours (when I, and everybody else, should be sleeping!). So yeah, I caught this before it could do any additional damage.

Anyway, my regular crew will be back on duty in a matter of hours...

«I took hold of the pole, while simultaneously reaching down to the ground, my finger tips making contact with the cement directly…»

Even with the warning, my heart was almost racing….
You’re reaction’s are like those of 007,( except for the fact that you don’t attempt to murder anyone on the way)

Besides giving me mild heartburn, the cookies are being well-tolerated at this point”

Hurrays for eating!!
To me, it seems like I get allergic or somehow stop tolerating things I eat too often.
So I hope you get some more eating items, to alternate [/FONT]

J - e - f - f”
🤣🤣🤣
They thought they had an opportunity to make him the headache of another wing…
No wonder they where all on your side. eager NOT to be burdened with the loving care of our friend Jeff. (I really like Jeff, he’s given me so much amusement)

“Who Am I? “

Existential crisis!!!
It’s said it’s normal for your age…
(Existential crisis, that is…)
You might want to by yourself a Porsche, I believe that helps..

two obsidian arrowheads”

We do demand pictures!
I didn’t even know the meaning of the word obsidian, I had to look it up.
It turned out to be the same word in Norwegian, so I learned a new word today.
And I want to see them even more

You’re reaction’s are like those of 007

I have been twisting, turning, and reaching much better in the past couple of weeks… which obviously came in handy here. My intermittent stretching and flexibility exercises throughout the day finally came into play!

Note: VERY intermittent!

And trust me, anybody watching me would NOT have been impressed. The whole event developed very very slowly in real time.

Cookie Monster - luckily they have a couple of cookie varieties available, so I may delve into those - they also make dark chocolates, but I'm assuming caffeine would be involved, which would be very very bad

By the way, you are a funny human being! :)

Crap. Forgot to take pictures of the obsidian pieces. Noted.

It's awful that we have to make those decisions, physical activity, or maintaining an active mindset. Hope your back feels better. Soon. :)

Howard you have quite the life in that home. I would have never guessed nursing home life could be so exciting and unpredictable. :lol: One day you'll have to compile your writings and publish them! ;) Life in Arizona - the Other Side.
Nice arrow points. I was taught how to knapp when I was about 13 or 14 and have been doing it ever since; almost 40 years.

Crash landing spared.
Sounds like those long arms of yours came in right handy.:thumbsup: I imagine the contortionist moment wasn't too comfortable though.

Cookies.
HU ...................I get their crackers which aren't bad. I didn't even know they also had cookies. My grocers only sells the crackers I guess.

Roomy
That just would have been too weird if Jeff ended up your roommate.

Congrats on your tablet! Music is just waiting to be created.

Arrowheads: I'm assuming you are afraid someone will snatch them if they are displayed?

Last edited:
HI @Howard.....I'll wish you a happy Valentine's Day and you can spread the good cheer to everyone else you see.

So you had an Encounter of the 4th Kind with Olga as your captain? Did she happen to notice that you were MIA? She's still in training and someday you'll trust her again.

Thanks for the tip about the food, but I'm hoping to hold off on that one....but we certainly never know, do we? Glad that you're eating something...that's good news and beats a packet of relish, doesn't it?

The arrowheads....perhaps you could wear them braided into your hair. Obsidian is supposed to be powerful so being near the brain couldn't hurt, could it?

Jeff, huh? First you'd have to explain why you left without saying goodbye...but then I have a feeling that happens to him frequently. I'd definitely called DMV and track down a copy of your license. Birth Certificates are fairly easy to get if necessary....would they accept that, fingerprints....get on the phone!!

Good that you always find someone to converse with....and I assume they're often more interesting than us (bearing in mind that some of them should be in a separate facility altogether...but that's OK, they're interesting). Perhaps you should haven't your obsidian arrowheads on real display though...hidden somewhere in the braids would be best.

Did you get any valentines? Mine is mad at me at the moment and it's past noon here, so I don't have high hopes for one today. I bought him some candy....and opened it myself. Always treat people with kindness!

Nothing from our ever-loving daughters, but their cards probably won't arrive until about 10:00 this evening. So all in all no one has even said Happy Valentine's Day to me, while you've probably heard that phrase 100 times already.

OK....I'll save room for someone else's remarks. Glad that you're doing "Howard Well." You can't ask for more than that. Yours, Lenora.

RE: possessing proper identification.......may I overshare?

My daughter up and moves to the foreign country and marries foreign. Produces my grandaughter who possesses, at one year of age: TWO passports.

We are translating and apostilating (something associated with notaries) all these documents for my daughter

Then, because I insisted her middle name, (a version of Jane) be spelled with a "Y". Only why did that not show up on her real birth certificate? My husband and flunked the spelling?

So her whole life is two spellings of Jane, and Jayne, and every document she possesses is INVALID. Per foreign country. Every one had to be fixed and formal name change.
Just the other day, I considered what will I be doing when this my driver's license expires? Because next time they will be making me drive. No way will I likely pass a driving test. And the fingerprints are still missing....

Because I know people exist, like you, @Howard - I know the day can come when No I"m not headed to any DMV for any update your ID.

Literally yesterday I looked up how long can one run on just a state ID (not for driving). EIGHT YEARS in my state. You can get one of those and not come back for eight years.

So literally my intention is, in the very near future, to disappear. And maybe that might give me eight years to try to persist before- you have no ID, arrives.

Now its clear your not suffering too badly from a lack of bank accounts (despite applesauce and fake Snickerdoodles)...but that Patriot Act ties one's ID to a physical address and then to one's bank account.

LIving in the same exact place, with the same exact job, for THIRTY YEARS- I got told- You can't open this bank account, prove you exist.

Health insurance is tied to the state you live in. What if you don't live in a state? Nobody can answer this question....

So I think about this ME existance, imagine sometimes I reach this point one could describe as I am not going anywhere, including anywhere to update my VISA, my Passport, or my Real ID.

What happens when your alive but just Not a Participant?

What happens if one wanders off (Ok, assuming one is not entirely strapped into a mobile gurney, with wheels, parked on a slope out in a courtyard.) (It sounds like you have long arms, @Howard ).

My good friend coworker, he didn't last too long at his adult care facility, which allowed him to go wandering off. Maybe they lost their license.

I'm considering also, disappearing into a foreign place, where I don' entirely speak that language. I don't look the part.

Yet here we are.

The cookies: just what are the ingredients, if the ingredients you listed are missing?

I'm back!

Read thru: the arrowheads section.

A friend of mine is really into the cystals, their power etc, which should not be ignored. the black obsidian is powerful.

You could have a flat pouch, which contains an arrowhead.hang around your neck and its close to your heart. I"ve seen wallets for men, which hang around the neck. How handy, for somebody with out ID. Or alot of spare cash. (edited, to add: pockets)

I could put this on my To Do List. Locate such an item. Obtain. As long as there is "no rush".

this xmas gift for my brother is still sitting here...

I did really mean to send you a Get Well Soon Card....

(in our case, why do they make those?)

Last edited:
I checked: at least one person believes black crystals are healing. Obsidean counts as a crystal.

And you could work with chakras during meditations placing it there.

"Black crystals are beautifully protective in every way and love and relationships can be where we often feel our most vulnerable. Black crystals lend us that invisible sense of protection, not in a way that feels like we are locked behind walls but so that we can be open and free and ready to trust all while knowing that these gems have got our back. Black stones also help to amplify the truth. With these gems on side, we are ever ready to acknowledge where things may not be right, moving us out of falsehood and into the light. They weave together threads of self-control, resilience, and strength of spirit – all of which lend well to healthy harmonious and hardworking relationship"

thanks whomever randomly wrote this random paragraph

I have a special stone here. We were given it. In exchange for the fact that my husband possessed a signed edition of the Autobiography of a Yogi, signed by Yogananda, himself.

This book, is now on an altar in New Zealand, and we possess this green stone, from there, with special qualities. And we can be grateful that is an example of not trying to hold on to some valuable possession because its far more valuable, there on that altar, than on somebody's shelf via EBAY.

I do use it sometimes. Other times you just gaze at it, appreciating that geology is timeless and touching stones is very human.

They seem to call it: neck wallets

I found an entirely affordable model....will post link below.

However, you really want to just have the Hippie Version. This is a hippie thing.

the most respectable Dead Head I knew, wore the leather neck wallet, with fringe decorations. Instead of cash and credit cards, it holds Obsidian.

And just last night I learned Jerry Garcia in fact performed live once, in Phoenix Arizona.

opps: the link

https://www.specialistid.com/products/multi-pocket-credential-neck-wallet-with-lanyard-1860-300x

I have a special stone here. We were given it. In exchange for the fact that my husband possessed a signed edition of the Autobiography of a Yogi, signed by Yogananda, himself.

This book, is now on an altar in New Zealand, and we possess this green stone, from there, with special qualities. And we can be grateful that is an example of not trying to hold on to some valuable possession because its far more valuable, there on that altar, than on somebody's shelf via EBAY.

I read Autobiography of a Yogi what seems like eons ago. Curious as to how your husband happened upon a signed edition? And.........do you know what the green stone is?

do you know what the green stone is?

its Pounamu....only found in NewZealand. Reading about it, maybe its "flower jade" as it has some yellow and cream speckles. I'll take a picture...later.

My husband got the book, happened upon it Minerva's bookstore, signed. In the 1960s. He had recently met Yogananda, and Krishnamurti. Now I had to interview him again. I thought he got the book there, but no just an odd separate coincidence. Signed, just sitting there.

He said he thought both were rather boring and he didn't even stick around there long. It would seem he was not yet ready for their gifts.

He and the prior girl friend, had an antique shop. The book might have ended up gone from there, but I guess it didn't and how we still possessed it, decades later, is impossible to grasp. And it lived thru several of our famous floods, the whole box of books got wet, yet that book was dry.

So when the New Zealanders arrived in our living room there to go to an event, very serious Yogananda folks, we handed them the book.

Well they could not get over it. They came back with the gift stone and gave me a very old but lovely Plants of New Zealand checklist.

Its nice, knowing the book is on that altar. Not lost.

those are beautiful. Obsidian is a very protective stone. You could also wear it around your neck and become one of the tribesmen of Ridgecrest :lol: Also, i sleep with some crystals/stones (mainly quartz, selenite etc.) under my pillow/mattress. Crystals are beautifully conscious and will come to those that can benefit from their symbiosis.

Close you eyes and see where your intuition tells you they should go.

Whooooo arrrrrre yooooooooou??

haha! Thats wild you have no current id. In a way, you are living a very interesting existence. Dropping out of the matrix lol.

I do hope you are able to recover some identification for your appointments. I may have to get a new ss card ...and its going to be an adventure from the land of one room.

@Tammy and @Howard and others observing Jackie

EGAD is snowing on JACKIE/Shanti

She is hunkered down at 4:06 pm and its snowing in Big Bear!

Yes...................I've been watching just about every day !:) I saw a video of her from a year or two ago where she was just about completely covered in snow. If she hadn't moved, you would never know she was on the nest.

From what I can gather, Jackie and Shadow have had 2 different clutches in past years and out of those only 1 eaglet survived named Simba. Simba was last seen in 2018. I'm really rooting for these two eggs.:thumbsup:

es...................I've been watching just about every day !:) I saw a video of her from a year or two ago where she was just about completely covered in snow. If she hadn't moved, you would never know she was on the nest.

I dip in briefly, my weather check.

2019 was Big Snow up there.

But I first noticed them last year, bad timing as literally all this drama happened the next day. Nobody made it last year.

so yes: I am voting for some good luck for them this year.

Late season snow is a bigger risk to fledglings in nests...like a big snow storm in June. Which happened in the Mt St. Helen year, when we had snow storms and hail and buried the northern Sierra. I was working, the flowers melted. Snow melts flowers!

@Rufous, I was mistaken, Jackie and Shadow have tried on 4 different occasions...(not 2). Geesh, I really hope for success.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
9 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard