“The fact that the existence of autistic adults was not acknowledged by the psychiatric establishment in America until the early 1990s means that ..."

Government workers with autism may go unpaid, despite their valuable contributions to science
A volunteer program by USGS could provide setbacks for students seeking independence.

Kelly Brenner
December 2, 2019

https://www.popsci.com/story/science/unpaid-students-autism-science/

But while STEP-UP is meant to help pave the way to science-based careers, the unpaid program could prove to be a setback for those it serves. The period after high school is a particularly challenging time for young adults with autism: Many social services are cut off, and opportunities for employment and higher education are often limited.

“The fact that the existence of autistic adults was not acknowledged by the psychiatric establishment in America until the early 1990s means that there is still shockingly little infrastructure already in place to help young autistic people make the transition from education to the workplace,” says Steve Silberman, author of NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity.

The issue, however, is the lack of pay during prolonged training. When the USGS’s volunteer program came to light on social media, many people expressed outrage at what they perceived to be exploitation of a vulnerable, adept community. But the problem of low or unpaid labor is a regular dilemma for individuals with disabilities, both in and outside of the scientific sphere.

“It’s a pervasive problem in society as a whole when accommodations for employees with disabilities are seen as favors for people with ‘special needs’ or expressions of the employer’s benevolence, rather than as ways to tap the most skilled workforce and ensure that every employee is given what they need to succeed,” Silberman says.
Yeah, THAT,

“The fact that the existence of autistic adults was not acknowledged by the psychiatric establishment in America until the early 1990s ...
Pretty much means that I did not exist until I was in my 30s, then all of a sudden in my 40s I magically materialized from empty air.
:grumpy:
But first ...
I was misdiagnosed as bipolar for a couple decades ...
and kept responding badly to mind-altering medications treating a problem I did not have.

Well effing DUH!!!!!!!!!!
:mad:

Oh, and that book,
477 pages plus notes and index;

IMG_9247_40.jpg

Comments

This is so obviously, horribly unfair !
Many people with autism are incredibly creative and have the potential to bring highly honed skills to the workplace, possibly even exceeding an average worker's contribution.

Blog entry information

Author
southwestforests
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from southwestforests