• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stilbenoid, diarylheptanoid and gingerol production is HIGH with many CFS patients

The highest average value at present on the symptom-metabolites explorer (http://ubiomecfsweb.azurewebsites.net/Metabolite/explorer) is from “Secondary metabolite biosynthesis: Stilbenoid, diarylheptanoid and gingerol biosynthesis” with an average of 2.1 with

• 8/14 HIGH
  • 4/14 low
  • 2/14 Normal.
This is biosynthesis — the body producing this group of compounds, not metabolism (using and recycling) like in my last post

What are these?
Three new words for our vocabulary:

Stilbenoid
Wikipedia provides a list of examples which gives a good idea –> Resveratrol, Grape Seed Extract, Red Wine etc.

Aglycones
Glycosides
  • Astringin in the bark of Norway spruce
  • Piceid is a resveratrol derivative in grape juices
Diarylheptanoid
Again, Wikipedia gives some good examples “The best known member is curcumin, which is isolated from turmeric (Curcuma longa). Some other Curcuma species, such as Curcuma comosa also produce diarylheptanoids. Other items include ginger

” are mainly distributed in the roots, rhizomes and bark of Alpinia, Zingiber, Curcuma and Alnus species. They have become of interest in natural product research over the past twenty years because of their remarkable anti-cancer, anti-emetic, estrogenic, anti-microbial and anti-oxidant activity. This paper compiles all 307 naturally occurring diarylheptanoids from 46 plants as reported in 137 references with their distributions, physiological activities and 13C-NMR spectral data.” [2010]

Gingerol
From wikipedia

• “Gingerol, properly as [6]-gingerol, is the active constituent of fresh ginger.”
  • [6]-Gingerol administered by intraperitoneal injection has been used to induce a hypothermic state in rats.[4]
    • Is this the cause of low body temperatures seen in many CFS patients?
  • Gingerol seems to be effective in an animal model of rheumatoid arthritis.[5]
The Literature
  • “PICRUSt analysis revealed that metabolic pathways such as “stilbenoid, diarylheptanoid, gingerol biosynthesis” were enriched in high weight rabbits, and pathways related to “xenobiotics biodegradation” and “various types of N-glycan biosynthesis” were overrepresented in rabbit soft feces. ..41 bacterial taxa were significantly more abundant in high weight rabbits (e.g. YS2, Bacteroidales, Lactococcus spp., Lactobacillus spp., Prevotella spp., Sutterella spp., Acinetobacter spp. p <0.05),” [2015]
What could this abnormally high biosynthesis mean?
My first impression is that we are talking about items, when taken as supplements, causes blood thinning. Do CFS patients have thin blood? No, the opposite — so is this the body response to hypercoagulation? The microbiome may be sensing the thick blood and to protect it’s host, responding by trying to thin things out.

The nasty question: What to do?

The body is spending resources on this biosynthesis, likely because it needs the resulting compounds. My take is this, if you are high then supplement with the items cited above, i.e.

The body may shift it resources elsewhere (because the supplements are delivering the desired items).

If you are low or normal, see if:

• any of these items are on your recommendation list from your ubiome
  • there is any significant cognitive improvement from taking themway
There are a dozen step in the coagulation cascade, I speculate that if the above thinners have no effect on the step causing coagulation, then biosynthesis will be normal or even low.

This is an education post to facilitate discussing this approach with your medical professionals. It is not medical advice for the treatment of any medical condition. Always consult with your medical professional before doing any changes of diet, supplements or activity. Some items cites may interfere with prescription medicines.
Reactions: Sundancer

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
Lassesen
Read time
3 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Lassesen