• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sonic Surcease / Pain Management / Flummoxed Flora

Two Weeks Ago

Screaming bloody chaos from across the hall as the "Oh God" Woman further disintegrates. Any time a family member appears she performs an enhanced act worthy of an Oscar. Or, a Tony. And yes, she used to be famous and well regarded, but now she suffers often and out loud, especially whenever her son visits.

It wouldn't be so bad if her door was kept closed. But in those particularly rare instances, she acts out. She threatens. She's even called 911 before. So the door remains open. For all to hear. For all to ear-witness.

They tell me she's not in any particular pain. They insist. And I've overheard (not difficult) her frequent demands for more percocet. More than that, she's the one with the blaring television heard throughout the unit. Heck, it was so loud on Monday the paramedics couldn't hear me talking. Well, okay… they COULD hear me, but I had trouble deciphering their message.

So yeah, I had another adventure… and wound up with an all-new feeding tube. I'm still trying to work out the kinks. I'm not even sure if the problem was solved. I don't think so. But what the heck do I know? I'll figure it out. I'll solve the equation. I always do. The gastroenterologists are entirely useless. Besides, I hashed out a possible solution with my online friend, the one 1867 miles away. And also, discussed "best options and focuses" with the ever dazzling staff member named Linda.

And Betsy?

Well, she's not involved in that type of solution, but she did shower me today. With water. And soap. And shampoo. And conditioner. And put up with my crappy attitude. But lately I've been in pain for a lasting periods of time, so I tend to get a little bit cranky now and again. Not towards her, nor towards anyone in particular, but just my generalized attitude is several shades less positive than normal.

So she tolerated me in the shower and it went swell.. my first one in two weeks. Of course, Betsy is the only human capable of orchestrating a shower for me. Which is okay. I'm glad there's one hunan who can do this… one who knows what she's doing.

Most importantly, she doesn't rub me too hard, nor too softly.. utilizing the perfect amount to make me clean (although, I think she uses way too much conditioner in my hair!).

Okay then, I've got some sudden 'for no apparent reason' nausea coming on so I better do something about that …muy pronto! Plus, Hogan's Heroes is coming on at 9 o'clock. Something to watch in Arizona Time. And I need to prepare for Flush / Bandage Time.

NOTE: the "Oh God" Woman went A.W.O.L. today - and it's not just me, but the entire staff is relieved

Oh, Maureen came in to check on me… which was nice. Her family members have kind of, sort of, adopted me (they are that family full of psychologists). Or maybe they've just adapted to me.

They visit fairly often. But better than all of that, I get along swimmingly with each individual family member.. easy conversations with far ranging subject matter. Okay, maybe the two year old is a wee bit slow on the uptake in comparison to the others, but he'll get there eventually!

As I've mentioned, not many people get visitors here, so attention from any outsiders is appreciated (typically, visitors do indeed kindly converse and/or acknowledge unaffiliated residents). It seems most of us residing here permanently are either leftovers or afterthoughts. And thus, I suspect a little love and a little attention go a long way with my fellow residents. They perk up notably with any attention given.

But that was a couple of days ago. I've been staying inside. Recovering. Recovering decently. Trying to right the wrongs inside my COVID inflicted intestines. Because.. Yes. That's what I believe. I believe my huge stupid bout with the virus (and/or the many antibiotics employed) destroyed my intestinal biome balance.

Evidence? I've been consistently (and sometimes painfully) bloated ever since. Intestinally wrecked. Often caught up in a state of intestinal stasis.

Saturday Night Live

I'm in the dark. The lightbulb in the lightbulb socket above my bed got itself overworked. So now it's burnt out. Or burnt up. The only visible light I see comes from the carwash, the one across the recently scraped clean desert landscape. Although, notable growth is making a comeback.. green growing low and slow, soon to die from the summer sunlights determined solar strafing. Brown death across the desert floor. Coming soon!

But what matters most right now is that I do not have the necessary lighting necessary to accomplish necessary tasks.

Yes, the television is alighted. Always. But the flashing blinking blue night is borderline useless… creating a false strobing effect. Angular shadows. In essence, a nuisance glow.

Also, purposeful headlight beams from vehicles engaging the not-so-distant highway on-ramp briefly angle towards me, flashing me.. so my eyes avert. Avoid. Still, I appreciate their noted movement.. the action.. the myriad possibilities presented by their traversing distances never to be known by me.

And now I've been told, "no light bulbs until Monday!"

It's Saturday.

My roommate cannot turn his light off or on, because the attached chain is broken. A work order was put in ten days ago, but…

I had Betsy affix my leftover birthday balloon ribbon to the remaining chain remnants, but that solution was temporary.

So we wait.

Stating the Obvious (present time)

Pain Mega-Hurts (no, mine isn't all that bad all the time). I've found workarounds that occasionally work for the better. Mainly, ice applied adjacent to the stoma dulls the nerve endings, and then applying heat to the lower abdominal area soothes. Plus, there's this one statuesque position I can take on, so that if I do not stir for hours on end, the irritation does not become exacerbated.

I've had worse pain. Each of us has. Really, all of this is a matter of persistence, perspective, and perpetuity. Okay, this is not exactly perpetuitous happening… but you know what I mean. Sometimes words sound better absent their meaning.

Anyway, who the hell can write during all of this? It seems I cannot. And really, I didn't want to get into all of this, but figured I had to say something. Write something. Express.

Have I expressed emotionally? Nope.

Okay then. How about this? I am upset and frustrated. Currently intolerant. Occasionally angry. And now and again I am unaccepting.

What can be done? I am supposed to see a G.I. … eventually. But the G.I. can't do anything to help. I must reduce my intestinal bloating to reduce the burning bile that's preventing my stoma from healing properly, and thus directly irritating nerve endings and causing skin ulcers. Simple, right?

I am utilizing Triad Coloplast ointment, applying it directly to the stoma (to facilitate healing), and then applying Desitin on top of the surrounding skin (for protection).

Anyway, these are my personalized COVID-19 after effects.. messed up intestinal flora.

This shall eventually be resolved, this issue. These problems. But for now I am a wee bit grumpy, yet still hopeful overall. My muscles and energy are still .. maintaining.

Take care,
Howard

Red My Mind

20220319_121600_2_optimized.jpg

My Sky Above

20220320_123355_optimized.jpg

My Faithful Friends

20220321_143437~2.jpg

Me... being angry and frustrated of late

20220310_111631~2.jpg

Comments

Read your write up while I worked on canceling any plans I maybe have mistakenly considered, for today.

Emotional update- similar.

Virus we did not need- be banished move along and leave @Howard alone.

Incomplete sentences: easier.

My favorite Howard utterance in this write up:

soon to die from the summer sunlights determined solar strafing.

Sort of exactly the case, outside my window. Yard Man successful demised the remaining struggling green bits, and mowed it down in a final solution that could be called: Permanent Dust. Its March, and first day of spring was last Sunday, rumors have it.

Solar strafing- exactly and thanks for spelling it correctly. Thats a word I'd be sure needs multiple "f"s.

I always like your photos, as its a shared experience: details. Little details add up.

The Selfie: you look a bit beefier! Like maybe a few more calories got in!

The sky there is a glorious Cerulean color. Enjoy that blue!

Ringneck doves.....Africa. Doves, and pigeons...quite fond of them. I'm surrounded by a feeder complex put out by the well-intended.

Its noon, I"ve not eaten breakfast yet, and I have this lawn chair. Its in the closet. I could lug it down the stairs, but then my Sun Tanning and Lounging Project feels rather public.

Maybe I'll decide to not care.

Im very sorry for your suffering.

Hope your stomach is soon to come to senses again..
You’re absolutely right at being a bit grumpy.

At the same time Im a tiny bit jealous at your washed, shampooed and conditioned hair.
I’d love to have a hair like that, dark, fluffy, curly..

Howard, it's so nice to finally hear from you. I was almost concerned you had abandoned us, but you've obviously been going through a lot. I'm so sorry how your gut has reacted to the antibiotics. There always seems to be a chain reaction from taking them. Is there something you need, like more probiotics, to help the bloating? I hope you'll let us know if you need something. I'll be praying for your gut and your healing from all this.

The Selfie: you look a bit beefier! Like maybe a few more calories got in!
This is what I thought, too. You don't even look skinny. (you don't look fat, either, in case you were worried.:lol:)

I am happy you shared your feelings. I would have a lot of feelings too if i was going through what you are. :heart:

I am leaving this here in case it should help you while things are being figured out. It helps reduce my bloating. Listen for as long as you wish but i do 30 minutes twice a day when i need it. Sound healing is known to have many benefits.

sound healing explanation~

https://www.naturehealingsociety.com/articles/solfeggio/

Sound healing is known to have many benefits.

I already started a story about sound healing...on account of they are across the street from me. And I'd considered working on that story further. as new developments have taken place.

If I triangulate, I should be entirely well. As a fab acupuncturist is just across the street... to the east, sound healing to the south, to the west are large trees for forest bathing, and the north is: north.

I already started a story about sound healing...on account of they are across the street from me. And I'd considered working on that story further. as new developments have taken place.

If I triangulate, I should be entirely well. As a fab acupuncturist is just across the street... to the east, sound healing to the south, to the west are large trees for forest bathing, and the north is: north.

wonderful @Rufous McKinney ! I'm half way through my next blog....on SOUND healing, ha! Thats sounds like a divine setup where you live :)

Thats sounds like a divine setup where you live :)

What am I doing here? is a valid question. I'm very lucky to simply be in a civlized nice apartment, after having everything burn to the ground. And wilderness living is now fully out of the question.

So really nice older homes...got zoned mixed use commercial and people got their hands on the real estate.

I used to possess some pretty nice antique scientific equipment, having been a scientist. So I'd plan, for twenty years I planned to stop at this charming little house DUE SOUTH. Where somebody both lived there and sold scientific antiquities.

I managed to wait too long. No more antique microscopes, a millennial has moved in.

so Sound Healing took over a gorgeous 1940s single family home.

when I discovered that they were across the street, I also discovered that nobody is ever over there. And the one class they offered, they dont currently offer.

And then there were all those incense sticks I spied, inside next to the Buddha's.

Oh, I'd be unable to do an actual class....

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
5 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard