• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Self-Directed Care

In 2009 and 2010, I still did not understand that I needed to take over the wheel if I was ever going to get better. I found a Naturopath in Sudbury and he did a lot of expensive tests that confirmed something was wrong.

One of these was a test by Neuroscience to check for the metabolites of neurotransmitters in urine and all the monoamines were low and GABA was high.

Your brain has 2 main neurotransmitters - glutamate and GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid). Glutamate is like the gas pedal and GABA acts as the brakes. (Crudely), the job of monoamines like serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine is to regulate the action of these two in various parts of the brain.

I am out of my depth with some of this. GABA is made from glutamate and a mercury toxic brain (Hg-tox) will have too much glutamate kicking around and since it can kill neurons I suspect that the brain will try to convert as much as it can to GABA.

Everyone with Hg-tox will drift into an all-low-monoamine presentation eventually (again my ideas). While some mercury loading appears to stimulate the brain, as it accumulates and a person ages, it will eventually lead to a form of depression.

Take a look at this one.

I know someone who was involved in this study and apparently anyone within a mile of it had their mercury amalgam fillings taken out. The results were that compelling. 20 years from now when we know the 10 things that can cause the constellation of findings we call Alzheimer's, mercury toxicity will be near the top of the list.

We'll talk more about amalgams later.

I was still relying on and trusting others but this came to an abrupt end with the Mercury Challenge Test. I only found out months later that this was not a safe way to be tested if a person has a serious metal problem.

I had DMPS injected intramuscularly and within 5 seconds my mind clouded in, I felt stoned, lost the ability to construct ideas and sentences and then for a few seconds (that seemed an eternity) I lost the ability to speak. I thought that I was having a stroke.

There are people who never "came back" from their Challenge Tests and I guess that I have to consider myself lucky.

My results were 35 ug/g of creatinine. The paper from Doctor's Data compares this to a normal of 3. This is "apples and oranges" though because I used a chemical to pull mercury from interstitial spaces (DMPS does not go into cells) and the normal value on this test is for "unchallenged" urine.

We don't have agreement upon normal values for Challenged Tests but I found one Dr who said that 20 was an indication that treatment was necessary and that 30 would be levels found in someone working in an unsafe industrial setting.

In the end, does it matter? What we really want to know is whether I had mercury in my brain and there isn't a test for this yet. Hair tests are safer and give some crude indicators for ideas on supplementation. Safer is good.

Dr Price said that I was one of the highest that they had seen at his office. (There are people with 3+ times what I had and if my testing was done in the fall when I was chewing nicorette gum I would have been much higher).

Also his office is the only place I know where DMPS is given by injection. I can not compare my results with anyone else because of this. I said, "This is where you tell me to get my fillings out right?"

He said that there were 2 views on that. And I ran away.

I was very upset about the Challenge Test. I told my wife that I was never giving control away like that again. It was the moment that I truly "picked up the reins". I needed to direct my own health care.

I started to read about mercury and some things were clear. I had mercury toxicity and therefore was likely "Mad-as-a-Hatter. And chelation of mercury with fillings in was likely about the stupidest thing that a person could do. Totally reckless.

Do you know about Mad-as-a-Hatter? In the 1800's hats were made from beaver pelts and the felt was treated with mercury to make it easier to work with. It also had an advantage of protecting the hat from insects. Over time the mercury made people in the factories go crazy.

Let's expand this idea a bit. Clothes were not laundered as often in 1850 as they are today. Basically, Dad was bringing his mercury-laden clothing into the family home where it was off-gassing. Day-after-day. Year-after-year.

Eventually, "Junior" started to sweep up at the factory after school and had his first direct exposures. When he turned 14 he started to work in the factory right beside Dad. At some point in time after this he began to show signs of mercury toxicity.

But his loading started even before this. Female animals detox into fetuses. This is not something for moral consideration. It is not good or bad, it is just how we are made.

Back in the 70's a number of race horses aborted their foals ($$$). Confusing, as the mares looked healthy. It turns out that a beetle was feeding in the pasture and the fecal matter was poisonous. The mares were not impacted to any degree because being female mammals, the toxin was passed across the placental barrier into the foal.

Now, back to 1850.

Women stayed in the homes raising families. The home had mercury vapour from the clothing that she would have been breathing in. Mercury in this form is absorbed at around 80%. It is the same stuff that comes off of amalgam fillings.

She passed this mercury on to the fetus and her off-spring were born with mercury on board. It is my contention that while mercury will make everyone sick eventually, it is a disaster on a developing brain.

I am not out on much of a limb here. We know about lead poisoning in children. It affects them worse and differently than it affects adults.

A final thought. I would have been much better served had I walked into a Dr's office in 1850. They would have looked at my list of problems and asked what exposure I had to mercury. Compare that to the blinding ignorance that I encountered in the 21st century.

This brings us to around November 2010.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
stridor
Read time
5 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from stridor