• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Research: Vitamin C for energy, oxidative stress, mitochondrial function

I've been following the work of Doris Loh. She just released her latest research this morning about Vitamin C / ascorbic acid for mitochondrial functioning, oxidative stress, redox balancing, etc. You can read the article here https://www.evolutamente.it/vitamin...vOfHjIfP5Q2vVtrxvdWxsYqFdkR2G83AFMI3PqfeNdLSM

Doris suggested that I use ascorbic acid 1/8 tsp EVERY HOUR. Then try to up to 1 g or 1/4 tsp every hour. Add it to 8oz water and drink it up. Fresh preparation is best.

Since I have trouble remembering to do this every hour, she further suggested that I measure the whole day's worth and keep taking until I finish it by end of day. Even if it means I have to take the final dose as a large dose, which is not ideal, but what I need to live with.

This is based on waking hours. So if I am awake for 16 hours it would be 16 x 1/8 tsp into a jug of water that I sip throughout the day. DO NOT USE plastic water bottle for this. I use a stainless steel 32 oz thermos.

I have been using AA and I have noticed improvements along the way. So I am excited to try this increased dosage. I was unable to use Vitamin C because it makes me break out in acne horribly. But the AA does not bother me. A good brand is NOW Foods vitamin C crystals ascorbic acid.

Comments

Good post. Vitamin C is perhaps the best antioxidant I take. I ended up switching to Quali C (powder) since it not manufactured in China and is considered pharmaceutical pure.

Vitamin E is another powerhouse nobody ever talks about (this is d alpha not dl which is synthetic).

@LINE thanks for mentioning about the Vitamin C from China... I had a hard time finding Vitamin C / Ascorbic Acid that did not have any questionable objects in it. I was very happy with NOW Foods response to me. It is also a brand that Doris Loh recommended to me.

I also take E and a few other antioxidants.

I am glad that you liked the article.

I am interested in Doris Loh research, too.

I had a severe adverse reaction to Vitamin C IV. Still not sure why.

I do very well on mitosynergy copper, and apparently Vitamin C needs to be taken 4 hours apart from copper as they are antagonistic. It really good to hear you have some relief when taking large doses of Vit. C!

I do very well on mitosynergy copper, and apparently Vitamin C needs to be taken 4 hours apart from copper as they are antagonistic. It really good to hear you have some relief when taking large doses of Vit. C!

The type of Vitamin C can be problematic, in other words, vit C is not created equal. I had problems with forumulations that had preservatives, not sure why they would put that in there, that seems counter-productive. I opt for the Quali C because of purity, where IAM seems happy with NOW (I have used a lot of NOW products and am happy with them).

Ascorbic acid can be low in pH and this may not be good for all people, there are buffered C products which show up as Ascorbates (sodium ascorbate, potassium, magnesium etc). This form of C is bound to an alkalizing mineral which makes them less acidic.

Another problem can be with a congested liver. If the liver is congested then it cannot process more toxins. Vitamin C is a powerful tool for toxin removal, so it may put a burden on the liver. I have used a number of techniques to open the liver up and this has helped tremendously. If you want more info on this, then let me know.

Doris Loh wrote to me:

"I don't recommend premixing AA in liquids, especially ones that have other ingredients. It could accelerate chemical reactions, oxidation.
Mix in water and drink within 15 mins.
Or premix AA and sea salt in bottle and wash down with water for each hourly dose."

So I tried taking the AA every hour for the past two days and I just do not remember to do it. I am going to go back to putting it in the 32oz thermos and carrying that around with me to sip sip sip. It may not be ideal but that is where I am right now. I will leave out the magnesium citrate, though, and add a little sea salt. As far as I know that helps the AA get into the cells.

There is a group on Facebook about "Quantum Healing in the Yucatan" and a couple of folks are reporting amazing healing with high dose C / AA. Doris Loh is an admin.

What was your reaction to IV C?

I was unable to take vitamin C for years... it made me break out in horrible acne that would not go away without antibiotics. Possibly it was a herxheimer reaction??? I tried several different brands. Now after taking AA I am able to tolerate the same brand of Vitamins C that I could not previously tolerate. Doris Loh said it might be that my redox is rebalancing.

Another problem can be with a congested liver. If the liver is congested then it cannot process more toxins. Vitamin C is a powerful tool for toxin removal, so it may put a burden on the liver. I have used a number of techniques to open the liver up and this has helped tremendously. If you want more info on this, then let me know.

Yes, I would love to know!! Thank you!!

Yes, I would love to know!! Thank you!!

Nutrients play a key role in all cellular functions including the liver. I am sure you have read about methylation which is dependent on nutrients to perform, methylation supports liver detoxification and other vital processes. Selenium is not talked much in methylation discussions but it plays an important role in this as well as immune functions etc. Magnesium is also an important nutrient, and of course, many other nutrients are. Some of the methylation cycles are dependent on b vitamins and I found it best just to use a b complex, one that is balanced (instead of a complex that uses 100 or 50mg for each).

Besides the nutrients, I have used milk thistle/dandelion combinations, phosphatidylcholine (sunflower), the sulfur containing amino acids (methionine, taurine, cysteine) Glutathione plays an important role as well. Some people swear that MSM (which is sulfur based) has helped.

I also used acupressure points which you can find online (4 gates, liver stagnation) https://www.acupunctureone.com/acupressure-and-the-four-gates/

Check with a health professional. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Blog entry information

Author
I AM
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from I AM