• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RANDOM THOUGHTS .... What Do You Do When The Stuff Hits The Thing .....

1661578642248.png

Being a huge Mark Twain and Ambrose Bierce fan, the cynicism of these 5 rules made me laugh, particularly welcome at a time when I’m finding little to laugh about, and when clinging to gratitude has been a sort of fruitless Easter Egg hunt in a depressing, boggy swamp, forcing me back on The Three Core Gratitudes I default to when all else fails ….
  1. I’m still breathing.
  2. I’m doing that in a safe place, if messy and overrun with over a decade of postponed clean-ups, fix-ups, organization plans, and all but the most basic, very occasional dusting and recently, dish clean-ups.
  3. I have enough to eat, clean water to drink, a husband who seems to love me in spite of it all, and this lumpy little misery of a mattress to sleep on. Which, by the way, is probably better than what most of Royalty had available to them until the early 20th C, never mind everyone else.
Gratitude #4 and #5, Optional
4. Most of the world would kill for my bad days.
5. It could be worse.

1661578732480.png
When I hit these prolonged downdrafts, I have to force myself to remember that, based on recent experience (the last 3 years, more or less) they’re temporary. Sometimes they herald a new, more positive reset once they worm their tedious little dilatory way thru the system and out the “Don’t Let It Hit You On The @ss On Your Way Out, Like I Care” door.

Other times, it’s just a prolonged, sort of pale reminder of The Troubles, the five-plus years that I spent completely bedbound and semi-comatose, and a place I really don’t want to go back to. I mean, it was instructive and all (I feel compelled to say that), but there’s little to be learned from the second kick of a mule. Which is another Rule of Life I adhere to firmly.

1661578813191.png
We all have these dismal depressing periods where everything that we’ve done, or at least tried to do, to improve our QOL, if not turn it around completely, seems to turn on us, or turn from us, or actively gallop back across us (I’m guessing here, but based on the numerous posts I’ve read in these threads, these periods seem to be universal ….. please correct me if I’m wrong, cause you know how well I take to that), and usually the best that we can do is wait it out and hope that the little bastard doesn’t hang around too long.

Which is pretty much where I am right now, which might explain why the biting cynicism of the above made me laugh out loud.

1661578935590.png
So what do y’all do when the Great Cloud O’ Shite descends on your life? Is there one universal thing, or two or three, that you employ to keep from descending into the Everlasting Pit Of Doom? Can you consciously make yourself remember that This Too Shall Pass, or is it more like This Too Is Piss (I seem to gyrate frantically between those two)?

Inquiring minds, doncha’ know …..

Comments

For me, it’s more like “This Too is Piss.” That’s my answer, and so there you have it. Wishing you better days.
..... for both of us :hug::hug:.

I'd be in the "This too is piss" camp too, except the memory of those five-six years is still vivid enough to remind me what real piss can be, and I don't want to go there again. One time is waaaaayyyyy more than enough. Way.

I’m experiencing the same
It seems to be going around. Like I said in another thread, maybe it's something in the water? The air? Sunspot flares? Cosmic rays?

But like I often say, things change.

Please.

Soon.

It seems to be going around. Like I said in another thread, maybe it's something in the water? The air? Sunspot flares? Cosmic rays?

At my age, I utilize Gratitude # 4 and 5 often. so you consider world history for five minutes and count your blessings. And I did the genealogy thing already. I know SO MUCH. I can predict the demise of any number of Kin.

I recently added a new concept. I just had a birthday. and since my hair matches a particular grandmother,I relate to her life in this particular way. I found her obituary sobering. We are now the same age....

I decided that every day I now get to live, is a great big GIFT. Even if it comes with a headache, periodic waves of perplexing poisonings, and this NECK STUFF (ligament laxity, doncha love it?) Oh yes, and eyes glued shut mostly. Oh and a few tingly numb APPENDAGES.

Yesterday I read about a toxic mattress which sent somebody's child into a hospital setting, long term health ruined.

They want to poison us, then kill us after.

My mattress is not poison, I am so grateful.

I decided to blame GREENPowders...lets blame the Green. Banish that green stuff, and its detoxy HERXY tendencies.

Today I was informed of the 13th Zodiac sign. Egad now I must incorporate a serpent with a healer, riding its back.

Today I was informed of the 13th Zodiac sign. Egad now I must incorporate a serpent with a healer, riding its back.
Yeah, Ophiucus I think. Lands somewhere between Scor and Sag or thereabouts. I say screw it. The twelve we've got are confusing enough.

Good on 'ya for gratitudes. Even when I have to go to the default ones it/s better than othing, and reminds me that, you know, it could be worse .... ...

Blog entry information

Author
YippeeKi YOW !!
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs