• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RANDOM THOUGHTS ....Bummertime, And The Living Ain’t Easy …..

1666189797503.png

We know well the sorrows of our own soul, but little of the sorrows of others …
1666189806408.png

1666190201720.png

1666190285429.png
This is turning out to be one of those days where I just feel …. (trying to find a loftier phrase for it, but there really isn’t one …. introspective? …. doesn’t really cover it ….. thoughtful? Uhhhhh, noooo, not really) ….sorry for myself?

Yeah. That’s the one. For everything and everyone I’ve lost, and just for good measure, for all the losses still lurking out there awaiting my arrival with malignant patience. For that old life that in retrospect looks so flucking perfect. But then, almost anything looks pretty perfect compared to this.

1666190675257.png

Some of the ‘things’ lost were taken pretty directly by this miserable little cheese-grater of an illness, slowly reducing me to small, disconnected bits and pieces, fragments of who and what I used to be. The “everyone’s” I lost were also, some of them, because of this creepy little illness, but not all of them. The friends who fell by the way after year 2, 3, or 6 of this, ad infinitum, were the most direct result.

1666190797817.png
But some of them were due to the one thing that’s actually worse than this grim little reaper of an illness …. the actual Grim Reaper. And those loved ones are gone forever. For some of those losses, the ‘losing’ part started before the actual reaping, and that was because of this shitty little reaver of an illness too, distancing my life with relentless, malignant efficiency, in varying degrees, from the lives of those I loved the most.

So now, I not only get to mourn their loss, I have to mourn the time I lost with them because I just wasn’t really able to be there that day. Or month. Or year.

1666191292053.png
1666191301171.png
1666191311309.png
There’s no way around it, this crappy little ass-kicker illness takes everything it can wrap its slimy little gore-covered claws around, and there are days when it’s really, really, absolutely, TOTALLY impossible not to feel like you deserve a deep and solid wallow, and your own extended, catered, valet-parked, Giant Pity Party Gala.

1666191465590.png

Those are the times when it’s easiest to forget that we’re not the only ones that fate has visited something more than the ordinary crappy on. There are many, many ways to find your life ripped out from under you, and it helps me (sometimes) to consider that fact when I’m sinking into the Slough of Despond. Other times it just pisses me off more, like their states of disability and pain and loss somehow subtract from the personal-pain impact of mine.

1666191576211.png

Which is, of course, ridiculous….

1666191678035.png
So here’s something, posted below, that reminded me of that fact, the fact that others outside of our community have, in many cases. undoubtedly lost as much as we have, to varying degrees and in many diverse ways.

Some of those pains and losses may be deeply familiar to a lot of us, what with the overlap between ME and IBS and CCI, among all the others in the .....mmmmm..... rich diversity of M.E.

1666191928084.png

I suppose that it’s, I dunno ….maybe reassuring …… to know that ‘crappy’ is an equal opportunity destroyer.

Turning Down Food, Needing To Be Near A Bathroom At All Times, And 16 Other Struggles Physically Disabled People Face That You Might Not Have Even Considered
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/people-physical-disabilities-sharing-things-161502020.html

Comments

Thats a great public service announcement on the 16 struggles... the Pity Party Gala and Slough of Despond.

My life under the concept of possibly going out, is definately being run by Item 1: lack of public restrooms and general unavailability thereof.

(reflecting on the single bathroom in the ER, and somebody is in there for a really long time, the door is locked, and you can't go there, either.)

On Sunday, it required three keys and a dark hallway with 12 doors before I could even find: the bathroom- (renting a car)

(my husband was headed to the parking lot bushes, where he apparently had to pee on the prior visit, as the "bathrooms were broken"..(yeah, right) (so another grievance tied to Item 1 is the lack of a patch of landscaping with at least three bushes so you can go hide in the bushes and pee)...

Lack of a chair, seat or bench- out near where I might need to conduct a short field trip, is the new thing which takes over after Item 1 is solved.

(example, when I first moved here, the bank was a 100% sit down and do banking with wall to wall carpeting. Now its Stand Here.)

Many of the Yahoo listed struggles are tied to the notion that you have contact with other humans. Thats a big assumption for some of us.

I'm having to demote my Pity Party, as my husband has taken a bit of a turn, having gotten a bad case of stomach wiped out. And it seems he is having a hard time. Including driving... :nervous:

Thats a big assumption for some of us.
It absolutely is for me and everal others I know here. It should have been part of the article, but apparently, after the pandemic, no one considers lengthy aloneness as any kind of handicap.

They really newd to try it, with no outs, no alternatives, no let-ups
I'm having to demote my Pity Party, as my husband has taken a bit of a turn, having gotten a bad case of stomach wiped out. And it seems he is having a hard time. Including driving...
Oh sweetie ..... I hope it's just the flu ???? Ohcrap oh crap oh crap.

Will start spinning the prayer wheel .... lemme know how he's doing yes?

It seems like several of us are going thru various differnt kinds of bad patches right ow. Probably jus getting them out of the way before we're side-swiped by the Christmas Season , already looming over the distant horizon....

PS..... Pity Parties can be postponed indefinitely without losing any of their sort of louche luster. Be there or be square :hug::hug::hug: (we need a Spinning The Prayer Wheel smilie)

wanted to say I enjoy the photos posted, but they are rather small...but I managed to enlarge the sixth image down- of folks outside the city, with various infirmities.

Can you share where that came from? its a great image....

Can you share where that came from? its a great image....
Oh crap. I can't remember. I downloaded it from an article sometime ago, for a different purpose, and it seemed like just the right thing for this blog entry .... it's a great image, haunting and very expressive.

Maybe try a google for 'groups of disabled', and then go for images.

I'll come back and post it really large, if that helps.

Also, the size of the images will depend on the size of your screen. I have a very large-screen lap top (DB got me the largest you can get so that, hopefully, I could watch movies etc on it), so on my system, they look almost too large and kinda pushy.

I'll keep your comment re size in mind for the future, and maybe post images bigger than seems right to me ...:thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug:

Blog entry information

Author
YippeeKi YOW !!
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs