• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions Answered: Part 2 - Formula Bags, Excessiveness, 37 Miles, Koko the Dog

In this blog entry, I answer a number of questions asked by each of you. My original goal was to post pictures of the items received, but my designated helper failed to appear on Friday… she apologized, stating that she'll be back Wednesday. Ugh.

@christiankatz

I'm trying to understand the feeding bag situation. Can we help you get feeding bags?

Insurance only pays for one formula bag per day (bags are $6 each). I need three separate feedings each day. I set up the first feeding bag by myself in the morning.. and then I need the same formula bag cleaned out twice daily (5pm and 11pm).

So, if a nurse is two hours late with my 5pm feed, I cannot get my full formula bottle in prior to the 11pm changeout… unless I wait until 1am. If I do that, then the morning feed falls back by two hours, etc.

To combat this, I use a brand new bag if a nurse fails to appear (at either 5pm or 11pm). I have a few extra on hand now, so I can do this. But eventually, this facility will have to pay out of pocket (insurance won't cover) when I run out of bags.

And I WILL force them to do this, because it's not my fault I'm not getting fed (at all, on-time, or less than I should be).

So really, I've got this all handled.

I've got every angle accounted for, and this situation has been well-documented. And really, the cause of this (my feed problems) is likely a result of being short-staffed. Almost all the nurses here are registry nurses. They are unaffiliated. They're basically contractors. And for the most part, they do not wish to be hired-on permanently because the pay is better.

@lenora

Does roomie talk at all? Does he sleep when you aren't then during the day, I wonder? Your biggest concern seems to be your rotten roommates, doesn't it?

He speaks very little. And it appears as though he's got some physical (or mental) health issues contributing to his communication difficulties. However, I'm not sure what those hindrances are, specifically.

When I stayed in the room the other day, he watched loud television nearly the entire time, and took a three hour nap halfway through. Well, I don't even know if he's actually watching what's on television. Listening to it? Yes. I suspect so. At that volume, it's impossible not to.

@Hufsamor

How’s the situation with your mom for the moment?

My mother is okay, mostly. She's happy that she gets to go out to the park with her friends to get "fresh air" (smoke cigarettes) daily. So there's that.

A childhood memory?

My father came home late from work one evening, picked me up, then gave me a hug and a kiss.

As he hadn't shaved for a day or two, his face (uncharacteristically) had the 5 o'clock shadow thing going on… so I said, "Dada, how come you have eyebrows all over your face?"

And my mother seemed to be impressed by my response, repeating the story to any number of people.

A dog event?

After my son was born, Koko (a white German Shepherd Husky mix) would always stand guard by my son, remaining in the same room with him always, and usually laying on the floor beneath him. And my cat (Pizza Place) took the high watch, laying near and about his head area.

Both were extremely tolerant of my son's incessant grabbing and tugging, too.

The other cats were far less interested.

The time you saved the day?

My former step-daughter's friend lost consciousness and stopped breathing. I administered CPR while simultaneously calling 9-1-1. The friend is still alive today. The step-daughter is not.

The situation that you turned into disaster?

A former girlfriend was upset with me and wouldn't return my calls. So, in order to apologize for whatever wrong-headed thing I said, I surmised that paying her a surprise visit would help resolve the issue.

I hitched a ride part way there, then walked the remaining 15 miles (during mid-summer late afternoon in Arizona, no less), which took nearly five hours.

Upon arrival, I immediately said something stupid, and my girlfriend summarily dismissed me.

It took me more than eight hours to walk back home.

There are more details (police involvement, a jealous husband, a pop-up thunderstorm and subsequent flooding, ketchup problems at Denny's, security guards/more cops, my last quarter, sexual stuff, traumatic injury)...

Yep, total craziness… and in the end, my girlfriend somehow blew out my intestinal wall (inguinal hernia) and the doctors had to manually stuff my intestines back inside of me… which was INCREDIBLY painful.

Does that qualify as a disaster?

That disaster continued on and into subsequent weeks, as the grande finale took place at the Phoenix International Raceway. Someone even died. Crazy right? But in the end, I refused to be airlifted out.

Days later, surgery was successful.

The friend you texted with, how did you meet?

We met on an online forum. She used to freak out a lot, and I thought I could help. Eventually I started freaking out because she was freaking out so much, so then she realized she had to stop freaking out or risk losing her "freak out" support friend.

Now, years later, we mostly crack each other up. An hour or two exchanging texts, and everything brightens. I get to be my ridiculous off-the-cuff improvisational self with her. Hammer down. Pedal to the metal. And rarely is she offended or incapable of responding… despite me going overboard fairly often.

I am a challenging human being. Haha!

@lenora

A thought: What about putting subtitles on the TV for him? Perhaps he doesn't know how it's done and that would help.

I think, and I'm not exactly sure, that the noise is somehow soothing to him. It seems as though there has to be excessive noise emanating from somewhere, anytime he is awake. But I am not certain of this.

When were you the happiest in your life?

I think I'm the happiest I've ever been right now. It may not seem the case, but I am particularly unburdened.. compared to before. I'm not spending any time or effort trying to make someone want me (full well knowing they do not). Fighting lost battles drains untold amounts of energy (energy I do not have).

Now instead, I interact with others in a more natural one-on-one fashion... so I get to improvise, react, interact, emote… without putting undue pressure on myself to "fix" the problem. If I mess up or offend one person, there remain other guinea pigs, additional people and opportunities to explore!

Thanks to each of you for the thoughtful questions. :)

Take care,
Howard

20211210_165801.jpg

Comments

@Howard....Good Morning as I'm sure you're up and about already.

You know, I'm mighty glad that you're happy there. You're right...why walk on eggshells knowing what the outcome will be anyway? You're free to be yourself, I understand that not so little point.

You're actually very giving to your roommate. He would be OK if he didn't have that noise blasting. I wonder if constant sound would calm him in the same way? Just something repetitive, although he sounds like he has hearing problems so it probably wouldn't be loud enough. It's tough when someone is borderline low IQ to even know what they want, let alone your needs also.
Do you need extra formula? I understand your need/want for making them do it, after all they should, but what if that isn't the case? @Tammy is right about questioning if you need it. I also know that telling the Drs. would only make the situation even worse with the nurses. You're right....most wouldn't choose to work in nursing homes. That has been a problem for years and years and, as you can see, won't be changing anytime soon.

Now you're skipping over questions here, Howard. What about earphones? Check out some that you think would be OK, please. There are so many and they're downright confusing....so please do that check-out.

I could give you my cold and you may sleep better or have a crushing headache all of the time. No in between with this, it's an either/or situation and no, I don't like it. However, the fact is that we all have something..... don't mean that I'm special.

All is peaceful and quiet here in keeping with the season. Have you sent your Christmas cards yet? Keep the post office in operation for another 2-3 months. Yours, Lenora.

These answers are highly entertaining, Howard. Thanks for sharing this with us.
I'm glad you don't seem to have PEM brain as some of us do. If I wrote as much as you do in a blog post, I'd be paying hard for many days. I'm happy you can do it without going comatose, as I would (almost). On top of that, you're able to text back and forth with friends. I couldn't do that anymore without crashing.

Just so you know, even the everyday stuff you write about is very interesting. It might seem the same old thing to you but not to us.

I'm glad you've been documenting everything. It's such a wise thing to do, and there have been many times I wish I had.

If your food stash runs out or low, and if you'll let us help, let us know.

Last edited:
Do you need extra formula?

I need extra formula prescribed, yes... so I probably need to simply call my doctor's office and once again and make the request. I just realized I am going to run short again.

In the meantime, the former person is/was supposed to drop off leftover formula as well, so I'll have to encourage her to do so.

Sorry you are sick, Lenora. That does not sound like fun at all. We're back in lockdown here, as both CNA's and residents have tested positive... but so far, not in our wing.

Have you sent your Christmas cards yet?

Haha. I haven't celebrated any holiday's in years. Heck, I don't even remember the point. Maybe next year I could send cards somewhere. But really, any of the people who seem to care about me (and vice versa) already receive cards
.. in the sense that I'm always writing to them.. inundating them with words.

That would include everybody here, my three other friends, and my son. And my mother gets a daily video/phone call.

I'm glad you don't seem to have PEM brain as some of us do. If I wrote as much as you do in a blog post, I'd be paying hard for many days. I'm happy you can do it without going comatose, as I would (almost).

Right. After I changed my diet (dumped simple carbs, simple sugars, and especially potatoes) my brain fog and brain fatigue lifted. Since then, as long as I remain mindful throughout the day, my "brain" induced PEM is kept to a minimum.

Also, I do suffer from PEM Brain when I try to accomplish anything that requires an ounce of intellect... while my roommates television is cranked up. So mostly, I need to write in the pre-dawn timeframe.

And typically, I write about two or three times (volume by words) as much as I blog. From 2015 through late 2018, I could barely put out a paragraph.

Where I do have pronounced difficulties is assimilating complex or bountiful information audibly. That breaks me down in a hurry.. initiates PEM.

I'm glad you've been documenting everything. It's such a wise thing to do, and there have been many times I wish I had.

Have you ever tried voice-to-text? That's the only way I was able to write, early on. But from 2015 through much of 2018, that was a near impossibility.

I do wonder if your roommate is partially deaf as @lenora mentioned. The closed captioning might help unless he also has visual issues. Does it seem like he actually watches the screen?

You could maybe ask one of the nurses if he is deaf or hard of hearing. ???

I do wonder if your roommate is partially deaf as @lenora mentioned. The closed captioning might help unless he also has visual issues. Does it seem like he actually watches the screen?

You could maybe ask one of the nurses if he is deaf or hard of hearing. ???

I cannot ask "my" nurse, because she's only here in the room when he is also. Plus, I really do not want to encroach upon his privacy.

I mean, I'm reluctant to comment on his behaviors/mannerisms because he may not even know what's going on or what he's doing. And I cannot accurately assess (with any confidence) what the "problem" may be. I have a theory, but I cannot know. He may simply enjoy very loud television.

My former roommate? That was easy.. he was self-aware .. his own worst enemy, with obvious consistent behavioral patterns. But here, I do not wish to cause any harm by (and through) speculating.

I would prefer the noise ceases altogether, but at least I've got the window view, and the room isn't angry.

Is the situation frustrating? YESSSSS! But at least I am mostly sleeping.

Still looking into noise reduction options... :)

Kates Farm Peptide 1.5 J-tube is the feeding formula, correct?
What are the bags? on amazon? It would be cool if you let people get you a small stash of these things so its never an issue and while you sort things out with insurance covering it etc. We could also bombard you with a ton of baby food, so choice is yours hahaha. Which unsweetened applesauce do you do? One with ascorbic acid or lemon juice? I know you are getting hungrier since you are a traveling man and go outside for 8 hours a day now.
Let people FEED you man! I think its on sale right now too because fb keeps sending me ads for it haha!

Also, thats a beautiful window view!

We could also bombard you with a ton of baby food, so choice is yours hahaha. Which unsweetened applesauce do you do?

I think he may have solved his 'snack' issue. I think it's just the Kate's Farm that needs to be addressed...that and possibly the bags. Am I correct, @Howard?

Kates Farm Peptide 1.5 J-tube is the feeding formula, correct?
What are the bags? on amazon? It would be cool if you let people get you a small stash of these things so its never an issue and while you sort things out with insurance covering it etc. We could also bombard you with a ton of baby food, so choice is yours hahaha. Which unsweetened applesauce do you do? One with ascorbic acid or lemon juice? I know you are getting hungrier since you are a traveling man and go outside for 8 hours a day now.

The formula feeding bags purchased in bulk are just over $4 each. So roughly, $40 for 10 bags. Very very expensive. Right now I think I have 10 extra bags.

I'm okay. I plan on forcing the facility to pay for my formula feeding bags when I run out.. and as long as I'm able to keep an inventory of them, I should be okay.

The formula shouldn't be an issue, today my doctor wrote a prescription for an extra 30 bottles per month.

Eating food orally isn't working out very well. Applesauce seems to be the exception. And I am now able to order that on Amazon because it's an EBT SNAP product. Mott's no sugar added applesauce strawberry flavored. Haven't tried it yet but it looks tasty. Normally I get Mott's no sugar added applesauce. Apple. But they don't have it on Amazon as an EBT SNAP product. This might be okay. As long as the strawberry flavor is agreeable.

Bada Bean Bada Boom Sriracha flavored broad beans are agreeable as long as I don't swallow them. Each of the other foods I've tried I've had side effects, or unwanted consequences.

So really, despite being hungry, I don't think my stomach can handle any type of food besides applesauce (between four and six spoonfuls per day). Everything else pretty much makes me nauseous. And bloated. So I'm going to lay off the food items.

The formula shouldn't be an issue going forward, as long as I am managing it. Which I plan to do.

Thanks for offering help. I won't let them NOT feed me (that's not an option). My advocate is currently advising me on this issue (experienced in this area).

I'm doing my best to avoid taking any type of actions that may work against me.

So yeah, thank you everyone (as always, for the support). Even if you feel you aren't doing anything, you are doing something.

H

OK, @Howard, I'll leave the formula issue in your capable hands. No one wants to do anything that will end up working against you. But if there are problems, please let us know.

Do let me know whether or not athletic pants (long) arrive. Also, those shorts....
see if cutting the elastic will help (no they don't tear in the washing and last as long as regular ones). If, however, they don't fit.....just give a shout & some larger ones will be sent. The ones you have can be given away.

@andyguitar......Hey, a map of England. I recognize those names although it has been a long time since I've been to most of them. So @Howard, you're planning a trip across the Atlantic, are you? I enjoy watching Rick Steves (channel 13 or on video) and am always planning trips to places I missed. Planning....in my mind, it's probably better than the real thing. Some places are so ancient and the sites are still being used....amazing.

I hope your Suns win if they're playing this weekend. So you really like that stash bag, huh? Well, it's always the little things. I didn't even know it was on there. Stay warm....and please get back to me. I'd like that watercolor book....I used to love them. Yours, Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
5 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard