• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium or Folate deficiency?

Hi

I was hoping someone might be able to help me understand my symptoms after starting Freddd's protocol. I've been taking B vitamins for about 3 months now, however, I started out on Rich's protocol then switched to Freddd's about a month in after having a really bad time on Rich's.

I felt immediately better on Freddd's protocol and had a lot of symptom relief when i started sublingual MeCbl. I currently take MeCbl, AdoCbl, methylfolate, potassium, l-carnitine, a b-complex and the necessary multivitamins and minerals.

With the MeCbl was a case of the more i took the better i felt and i went from 1/2 a tablet to 5000mcg easily with continued improvements... until about a week ago when i started having hearth palpitations, fast heart rate, chest pain, blurry vision, increased fatigue, dizziness, extreme thirst, angular cheilitis, skin rashes and return of lots of other old symptoms.

I'm already taking both potassium and folate. Im on about 1600 mcg of methylfolate and about 1500 mcg of supplemented potassium plus, I estimate, about 3g of dietary potassium in the form of bananas, coconut water, sweet potato, etc...

I am just wondering if, despite my intake of both potassium and methyfolate, i could still be experiencing a deficiency in either/both of these? Ive read up on the symptoms of both of these there seems to be a fair bit of overlap so im not sure which (if either) is responsible. I doubled my methylfolate and it did help a little but ive had trouble getting much more potassium in as the potassium supplements i found are very low strength and i have a very poor appetite so its hard to force in too many more bananas. Obviously i dont want to overdo either of them as ive read about the dangers of methyl trapping and too much potassium.

I had hoped someone with more experience with Freddd's protocol might be able to advise me? As the increased folate helped a little would it be ok to take even more if im already on 4x 800mcg? How much MeCbl is required to avoid methyl trapping?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

"hearth palpitations, fast heart rate, chest pain, blurry vision, increased fatigue, dizziness, extreme thirst, angular cheilitis, skin rashes and return of lots of other old symptoms...."

That sounds like a strong vagal response (short of fainting/ syncope), possibly brought on by hyperkalemia? Low potassium is a well known cause, but it sounds like high potassium can also throw electrolytes (sodium?) off balance and cause the same symptoms

Blog entry information

Author
ltpitt
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from ltpitt