• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PEM-Free! / More Than Tardy / Pull

The Best Batch Yet

I'd like to share some good news with you. Is that alright? As a matter of fact, this news is super good! That's several standard deviations above "normal" good news. So let's get to it, shall we?

Content Warning! - The following paragraphs utilize the word "commode" - so if you are commode averse, please feel free to skip on through… I won't be offended in the least.

Oh. And if you can literally skip (the physical action)... you may color me impressed. Yes. I would indeed be impressed by your ability to perform that specific activity. I could never for the life of me figure out how to skip.

Yes, it's true!

For any of the younger folk in the audience (or for those of you residing overseas), skipping used to be a real thing that real people did in the olden days (on command). At some point, inevitably, we were told (and sometimes ordered) to skip during
physical education class. And then to further complicate matters, we were graded on our ability to do so (or not do so).

So now you know everything you'll ever need to know about skipping!

Content Warning! (part 2) - If you are in any way traumatized by your inability to skip, please unremember the initial Content Warning!

So here's the thing, I woke up yesterday morning (I know I know I know, everybody wakes up, this is starting off in a rather boring fashion, isn't it?) and I did my usual morning things before needing to utilize the bedside commode… which always proves difficult. Taxing. Physically draining. Which is something each of you already knows. It's the most difficult thing I do on any given day.

Anyway, I completed the task, and for some reason afterwards, did not suffer from P.E.M. - Yes, really.. none at all! So, that's a good thing. Possibly, that's a great thing. Sure, it's only a one-time thing, but this is the only time it's ever happened.

Then two hours later, I had to utilize the commode again!

Okay. Well, why the heck not? Not that I had a choice. We never do. It seems. And subsequent to this event, I did suffer from my regularly scheduled P.E.M., but within an hour I seemed to have recovered.

I won't read too much into this, but hey, this is really fantastic news from my end, right? And as I've been detailing now and again, I have been gradually improving over the past few months. So let's keep this up, shall we!

Anyway, I just wanted to share something positive. Now of course, I have no idea why I am improving. Is it being in a supportive environment? Is it the excess amounts of vitamin D I am accumulating / receiving?

And really, that's all I have going for me on that front; hours upon hours in the direct sunlight, plus the incessant socialization. So maybe, really, the only thing we (us ME/CFS folk) need to do in order to recover from this awful illness is to schedule daily Beach Blanket Bingo events - that's right! Constant people within constant proximity, and near constant sunshine saturation!

Let me know what you think about this.

Of course, Annette Funicello is probably rolling around in her grave right about now. Unless she's not dead. Then she's probably rolling around on the floor laughing her ass off!

The Day After (Wednesday)

The nurse never showed up last night to help me with my formula feeding and bandage replacing business. Am I shocked, am I surprised? Nope, not at all. But that's not the problem here. Somehow, I forgot to restart my formula (after I put in a new bottle around midnight), so I didn't have any formula or water all night long. Yes indeed, I am super brilliant. Sometimes.

Of course I woke up super early, because... I felt as though my head was stuck inside the engine of a fighter jet. Maybe an F-16.

And why did I feel that way?

Because the heat was on, rip-roaring through the vent directly over my bed.. Full Blast. Loud Loud Loud.

In addition, I woke up sweating.

As I was peeling off my thin green blanket, my eyes saw outside into a darkness that wasn't all that dark. You know why? A full moon, shining directly into my eyeballs. Well, it was shining into my eyeballs after I peeled off my dedicated sleep mask.

So, to compensate for the full glaring moon, and the full-throttled heat, and my own inglorious stupidity, I turned my music on as loud as it could go (makes sense, right?). And it didn't go very loud (not louder than my neighbors early morning televisions), but that's not the point. Angry music helps when laying out each of the options.

Option #1: turn on formula feed, go back to sleep, pretend nothing ever happened, deny being thirsty, sweaty, and tired

Option #2: complain vehemently to no one in particular, ask "them" to shut down the heat, and then stew in my own anger while listening to exceedingly loud music

I wound up doing both. Simultaneously.

I know, I always tell you I CANNOT multitask, but I sure as heck did this morning.

Lo and behold, dearest Betsy arrived and was able to shut down the heat within moments after my asking.

Here's hoping one of my neighbors did not require a serious thawing out… that I deprived him or her of needed warmth. You see, the thermostat controls four different rooms at one time. When the heat goes on for one room, and it also goes on for the other three. And vice versa. The thing is, I've gotten rather used to a room temperature hovering in the mid-60s in the early morning time frame, and then the mid-70s by the late afternoon.

Oh. Get this. My pre-dawn blood pressure came out to a more typical mid-afternoon reading of 113 over 69! Clearly, I need more agitation in my life to get things pumping and flowing.

Impending Pain Body

Fine. I'm finished sleeping. I've got the dreaded dentist visit coming up within several short hours. Additional fear, as my preferred dentist is not available, so I'll be tended to by the rookie dentist from Croatia.

She's intelligent. And I hope that's enough. I hope she's able to pull with all her might. I can't come back to the facility here with a half pulled out tooth. And so you know, that's a real possibility. I have the longest roots on this entire planet.

The Next Next Day

I survived the dentist. The details don't matter. And yes, it was difficult. But tooth extractions are always difficult for them, and especially for me. More important than all that, I received caring support when I came back to the facility, as Betsy was still on duty… and my favorite day shift nurse, the one who shares the same birthday as I, did her best to ease my suffering. Plus, Linda stopped by to check-in. So yeah, I cannot complain at all. Caring goes a long way with me.

Okay then.. take care, :)
H

20220218_121516_optimized.jpg

This is what 73° looks like in February

Comments

Hi Howard....Glad the tooth event went just fine. Boy, everyone I know is having problems with their teeth...even "normal" people. A girl our daughter's age (well, I guess they aren't "girls") had all of her teeth extracted and is having implants. Heaven knows what they'll cost. Osteoporosis I'm told.

Glad that you skipped (or almost did) the PEM thing. Very impressive and that place has done wonders for you, hasn't it? Good news for all, you especially.

Well, you're a fave there if 3 different people actually had a time to check up on you. Good going. Do you look like a semi-chipmunk today?

Yes, I'm the same about things blowing on me...and so is Rod. When heating/cooling is shared, it can be a real problem. I assume your vent was closed, so that should help considerably. A fan is best, although it does tend to just blow around hot air after awhile (and I'll bet you have a lot of that around you. I know I do!).

So to sum up from your end anyway: Sunshine is good, people who talk are good and involvement with them is good. Apart from the sunshine (b/c of personal problems) I would say that yes, these do make us more apt to get along with other humans. To awaken some life in us.. it's too easy to let it all fall by the wayside. People do need people. Maybe we don't have to burst into song about it, but finding others similar to us is a good thing. (Unless we're mass murderers, of course.) Laughter, yes...that too, although it can make us look a bit unhinged. We have to make each day count somehow and that's one of the few ways we can share with others.

So enjoy your rest at the rest home. For a change something was aptly named, huh? Yours, Lenora.

@Howard
Great to hear really good news !!! And the pic of the courtyard is lovely .... it looks like you're in a pretty decent place, all things considered ....

Once again, it seems like the 'Quote' function isnt working for me, so had to do copy-and-paste

"Then two hours later, I had to utilize the commode again!"

That’s great news, gastroparesis-and-general-digestion-wise !!! I mean, along with the other good news attached to it ….

"hey, this is really fantastic news from my end, right?"

Uhhhhh ….. no pun intended, yes?

So glad things are looking bright and shiny :woot::woot::woot: :thumbsup::thumbsup: !!!!

"And really, that's all I have going for me on that front; hours upon hours in the direct sunlight, plus the incessant socialization. So maybe, really, the only thing we (us ME/CFS folk) need to do in order to recover from this awful illness is to schedule daily Beach Blanket Bingo events - that's right! Constant people within constant proximity, and near constant sunshine saturation!

Let me know what you think about this."

Great to hear you're feeling a bit better of late; great news! Perhaps the reasons are as you suggest? For my own experience, incessant socialization, constant people in close proximity... has proven to send me into the oblivion of severe PEM, always. For me it is the opposite; quiet, very few people and minimal socialization.

The sun, however, does prove to be beneficial for me... so long as it isn't too hot. heat exhausts me, but direct sunlight does wonders. Though not being in the desserts of the southwest, here in the north mountains of New England, we don't much see sun from early October through early May.

As usual, you seem to be in positive spirits, and that always does wonders!

73 in Feb... well here is what it looks like by my house in Feb :)

IMG_2492.JPG

017.JPG

Congrats the tooth ordeal is behind you (or at least, this phase).

I was entirely thrown, thinking @Howard posted snow.

I am impressed with the many scenic shots you've managed to get, there in the court yard.

Constant People and Constant Proximity and Constant chatter and constant sunshine: DID NOT CURE ME.

Nope, made me so much worse. Maybe I didn't get the level of Vitamin D your doing, after all Im a red head, I can't be baking like that. But still, I got alot more sun in the south, with my loved ones.

I even was placeboed- I was sure I'd improve dramatically. Quite confident.

SKIPPING

I had to read that three times. Oh, real skipping. As in La La La. Oh god its worse than a jumping jack, they expected us to do those, too?

Skipping is like the antithesis of proper body mechanics. Jarring, lopsided, loopy and I"d just love to be able to skip, once again.

Oh gosh:

You Tube instructional videos exist on How to Skip

:woot:

It seems the children need instructors and support materials.

But then I found a more direct bit of film which clarifies why maybe we dont really skip any more.

Society changes, and acceptable behaviors, shift.

Once again, it seems like the 'Quote' function isnt working for me, so had to do copy-and-paste

Yeah for some reason it doesn't work on the blog posts for quoting the original poster's message; just subsequent ones. Maybe it's one of the other features PR lost on the last upgrade.
(Ignoring threads is another thing we can't do anymore. :()

My workaround (from @Mary) for the quotes issue: I select and copy the text I want to quote. In the comment box I'm typing in, I go to those 3 dots (between the camera icon and the emoji picker) on the menu bar at the top. Choose Quote from that dropdown.

It puts {QUOTE][/QUOTE} in the message I'm typing and then I paste my copy between those ^two. The only thing is it won't point to the one I'm quoting like it usually does in the quote header but I still get that nifty yellow box.

For instance:

OP from Howard:
Constant people within constant proximity

(To Howard) :) That would just about do me in. Besides messaging like this I am getting more and more people PEM challenged as time goes on. :(
I'm glad the people/sunshine Rx is working in your case though!!!!

(To @YippeeKi YOW !!) :) Yikes. Hope that explanation wasn't too confusing. I'm not always good at explaining (or understanding) technical things.

You Tube instructional videos exist on How to Skip

:jaw-drop:

I should have guessed. And it currently has 32,110 views. See, @Howard, lots of people must be skipping challenged.

Last edited:
First interesting thought: Skipping....I've forgotten how to skip and darned if I can reclaim it. (This from the child who skipped to school each day.) I keep trying, well when I can and no, that isn't responsible for my pelvic fracture(s), but just can't do it.

Second: My oldest daughter (now turning 51) has ADHD. Years and years later I found out from an osteopath that children who skipped an important part of development often had ADHD. Something about the interplay between all 4 limbs is very important to the brain. Mine was walking at 9 mos., skipped the crawling stage altogether.

Now her sister, athletic in the truest sense of the word, did nothing but crawl until she was 14-15 mos. old....never even tried to walk. Both girls were totally different from the beginning. The osteopath himself had to do his learning by standing upside down with a paper bag over his head in order to "reset" his brain...he had been injured with severe concussions twice and figured this out himself. It reset his brain somehow....very interesting man who knew a lot about the nerves, brain connections, etc.

Years later, I asked that question at a local hospital that was testing my daughter (although there was no true test for ADHD....a panel of doctors who interviewed the child, etc., different tests) and was given the same answer. It isn't known why but these stages of development are important for the future use of the brain. I think skipping must fall under the same category, however what it's use is I have no idea. Anyone?

Insofar as being chatty and a people person it is who we are. Perhaps events along the way help mold us...does it matter in the end? I find I do need to keep people in my life, or I lose the capability of wanting to be with them. That's not good and I feel is a major difference from being a quiet person to begin with.

I need to help my widowed friends as much as possible (generally by being available for a cup of coffee to help them through a bad day), they need me and our shared companionship. I expect nothing from them nor they me (actually my husband and his fix-it skills are more in demand), but you know I'm happy to share them and they do me the courtesy of calling and asking if I'd mind asking Rod about something. As for my husband...he's happy to help them out or teach their now grown son/s what to do. So that's a very near example of just sharing with a few people. I agree...crowd scenes and too much socializing is something I just can't do. My husband has always been the quieter of our partnership...but volunteers constantly.

If I deprive myself of being around people, I do tend to withdraw and the more I do it, the worse it is. Howard's been deprived of touch and people for a long time, and is probably just saturating his needs. In his case he may still be tired out...but it sends him off to sleep for at least part of each night. That's a good thing. I can go either way....but I instinctively know that one way just isn't good for me. However, I'm enjoying all of you. Yours, Lenora.

Yes, I can remember a northeastern winter looking exactly like that...from our d.r. window even. One does adapt to a new environment but it may take many, many years. I don't like high-heat days, but am not a fan of cold days any longer, either. I like the cozy feeling of warm blankets and the like....but maybe we just aren't meant to travel so far so fast, thus our bodies don't acclimatize. Is this also the reason for the growth in the allergy business?

So thanks for the reminder, Wolf. It is lovely and will always be a part of my remembrance. We get snow about once/twice per year. Just enough...interesting how cold definitely changes the light in a room....have you ever noticed? Even the color of the paint has changed. Leaves are needed and what's more beautiful than a tree? Yours, Lenora.

Skipping.

Funny you mentioned it. For some odd reason, I tried skipping a few weeks ago. If it didn't feel like my body was fighting a ton of gravity I could have managed it I think. I managed to go through the movements but I think I would call it the shuffle/skip now. The leg/foot on the ground for the skip part couldn't quite make it off the ground.

Last edited:
Remember the prancersize lady!:lol::rofl: It's what came to mind when you mentioned skipping.

I'm happy you're doing better. It's heartening that it's turning out to be a good move for you in many ways, and you have many awesome people there to talk to. I'm happy for you.:happy-cat:

Last edited:
Something about the interplay between all 4 limbs is very important to the brain. Mine was walking at 9 mos., skipped the crawling stage altogether.

mine never crawled, and was never ADHD either. My grandaughter, landing here on the wall to wall carpeting, didn't crawl for very long.

But I"ve heard that too, that crawling is important.

We just look ridiculous, skipping, as adults, and Prancing. Of course we could then just all be Monty Python knights. Skipping is involved there, in that Prancing.

only read a bit of your post.

i used to get sunlight almost everyday and spent lovely time with nature.
since i moved, i've been stuck inside my health has been horrible. i've also been way more isolated and the most alone i've ever felt in my entire life. and barely able to get out. lots of other things going on like high stress but that time in nature and getting sun was great for me and i was in a great environment. been in horrible envioronments since and under horriific amounts of stress and way too much activity.

hoping to get more sun when the wind tunnels slow down in warmer months.

Yes, I guess the best we can for ourselves is to continue to do as much as we could before anything happened. I don't mean that this occurs without extra effort (sometimes a lot) but even entering a store and seeing people is a good thing for me.

Nurseries combine the best of worlds and I can't get enough of them, especially in the spring. I'll admit to missing last year and probably this one, also. My husband readily buys plants and flowers before I can join him. I don't like that.

So this spring's goal is to get out before the high-summer heat...we already spend most of our time on a porch b/c yes, there is something important about the interplay between human beings and nature. One of the first things to go with depression is the withdrawing of ourselves from both being outdoors and our friends.

I can tell when a friend is having trouble...the withdrawal state. One can call or even better yet just show up for a quick cup of coffee or even a chat at the door. It shows caring, if nothing else. A pet is good for people alone as having one can keep us in the world.

@Mouse girl ...I hope you find a new home soon. I can't say ours is perfect...we live on a corner and the people immediately outside our front door are only creatures of the night. We haven't talked to them in probably 25 years....finally had to call their daughter (after finding her in another area close to Dallas) and sent the police (called a wellness check-up, nothing is done or recorded) after my husband found the mailbox absolutely stuffed with mail. (The daughter knew.) Since no one in the neighborhood had seen them, and they had been ill we were truly worried that they had died or were unconscious. The house was just falling apart....even large holes in the roof where a family of skunks resided. What do we do?? This wasn't just about being nosy neighbors...it went way beyond that.

People have tried with them, we have also over the years....but I think they're caught in their own world. Where do our responsibilities as good neighbors begin and end? It's a real question that needs an answer.

The happy news is that their daughter has had a constant stream of workmen in there for about 5 mos. now....the entire place has been gutted, furniture put out for trash and she has been over to tell us that her parents had cut her out of their lives, were both very ill but wouldn't leave the home.

At least now we have a contact. Other neighbors were also concerned, including church and synagogue groups. We can accept that they're just different, but whose responsibility is it? Should we just let them be? Somehow guilt and concern are involved in that decision So we have both extremes in our area. We've lived here for a very long time and so have a lot of the widows in the area. Changing neighborhood...it happens. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:
after my husband found the mailbox absolutely stuffed with mail. (The daughter knew.) Since no one in the neighborhood had seen them, and they had been ill we were truly worried that they had died or were unconscious. The house was just falling apart....even large holes in the roof where a family of skunks resided.
I wonder if your neighbors have ME, @lenora. I can kinda relate to them, and my mailbox gets stuffed with mail as well, and sometimes it goes weeks until I get it taken care of. Fortunately, the HOA takes care of the outside things. I'm the Boo Radley of the neighborhood, as I'm sure many pwME are.

Hi @christiankatz.......We do try to bring our mail in (even though it's often not delivered until 10 p.m. or so) and it's used as a sign to our neighbors and they understand the same. We each have our own way of letting each other know if things are relatively "OK". This was just an extraordinary situation across the way....and it was worrisome to a large group of people. If they're had a pre-arranged signal it would have helped immensely.

After falling I realize how vulnerable I would have been if this last one had occurred while my husband still traveled. A lot of pain and being unable to move was involved.

I understand the new Apple watches are good (for those who have them or like "gadgets") as they let you call someone in an emergency situation. If you don't want to be bothered (and who doesn't feel that way at certain times?) then let a neighbor know the signs to watch for. We all crave our independence...but there are times when it's accidentally and traumatically lost.

I hope you don't have too many full mailbox days. Yours, Lenora.

I apologize for not having responded to any of these comments early on, but I've had a rather eventful past week or so. More on that in the next blog entry…

Howard....Glad the tooth event went just fine.

My mouth was greatly improved for the initial days afterwards, but now the pain has returned despite not having a tooth there any longer. I'm riding it out. Hoping the pain goes away. Figuring my excessively long roots fractured the sinus cavity upon pullout, or something stupid like that. Or it's a dry socket. Who knows. Whatever. Argh

And the pic of the courtyard is lovely .... it looks like you're in a pretty decent place, all things considered ....

Right. The courtyard is a great place to spend most of my waking hours. I've got about two months left before the heat becomes unbearable, so I've got to soak in the outdoors while I can! :)

For my own experience, incessant socialization, constant people in close proximity... has proven to send me into the oblivion of severe PEM, always.

Yes, for most of this illness I too experienced external stimuli problems, incessant people proximity, any sound / noise, problems with lighting, etcetera and so on. But in the recent past it's really just been a noise issue, in that regard.

Maybe my desperate need for human associating helped me overcome these obstacles (after six years stuck in a bed, and in a bedroom). :)

Oddly enough, I know also (for instance) that eliminating all potato products from my diet helped tremendously… eliminating brain fog and related symptoms.

Thank you for the pictures. The snow looks quite beautiful!

I am impressed with the many scenic shots you've managed to get, there in the court yard.

Haha! It's sometimes difficult coming up with new material within that courtyard. Even still, it's a vast improvement over being in the bedroom. Things happen outside. At least. Movement. Change. Angles of the Sun. My particular positioning. Etcetera.

hoping to get more sun when the wind tunnels slow down in warmer months

Yes, being exposed to the sunlight is enlivening. That is, until I am overexposed. It's getting to that point in the season where direct sunlight is powerful. And possibly damaging. I am adjusting my sun-to-shade ratio accordingly. LOL

Oh, no, Howard. I truly hope that you aren't having nerve problems. Dry socket is bad but at least it ends. I know I'm always, always worried about nerve problems before and after an extraction. Let's hope that with rest and healing this will go away....and chances are good that it will.

FYI....I know a "girl" my daughter's age had all of her teeth removed last week. She's still having lots of pain and even swelling....I think it takes longer than we think to heal She's having implants, the snaps are in, but is finding it hard to adjust to them. Use ice if you're having pain...that will help.

I'm like everyone else. I like sunshine but then it quickly becomes too much in a big hurry. Shaded porch is just about right but you can be turned for roasting, right? What will you do during the summer mos. for escape?

Ice storms here today...soon coming to an area near you. No one can drive on black ice...skate, yes, but driving no. Well, you can but you'll be spending time with your insurance adjuster and body shop. Lesson learned. Yours, Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
5 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard