• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PARDON ME, BUT HAVE WE MET? ...RANDOM THOUGHTS OF VARYING WEIGHT, or none, depending on your point of view .....

1661071130144.png
I've been trying to figure out for a long time where to post the following little fable which absolutely grabbed me by the brain-stem and wouldn't let go.

There was no thread that I could find or create to accommodate it, so I'm posting it here since a blog doesn't require a defined subject or offer any particular restrictions ...

What follows is a short story by Andy Weir …. it succinctly summarizes odd ruminations I’ve had about the possible nature, function, and purpose of reincarnation, how many people we may have already been, and how many more may be to come (honestly, after this one I just really need a little break …. maybe this exhausted suspended animation I’m living right now is the break, in which case I need to talk to The Management), how interconnected we all are no matter which life we’re in or where we’re living it, and on and on ….

BUCKLE UP. HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO .........

The Egg
Short story written by Andy Weir

You were on your way home when you died.
It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off, trust me.

And that’s when you met me.

“What… what happened?” You asked. “Where am I?”
“You died,” I said, matter-of-factly. No point in mincing words.
“There was a… a truck and it was skidding…”
“Yup,” I said.
“I… I died?”
“Yup. But don’t feel bad about it. Everyone dies,” I said.

You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. “What is this place?” You asked. “Is this the afterlife?”
“More or less,” I said.
“Are you god?” You asked.
“Yup,” I replied. “I’m God.”
“My kids… my wife,” you said.
“What about them?”
“Will they be all right?”
“That’s what I like to see,” I said. “You just died and your main concern is for your family. That’s good stuff right there.”

You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn’t look like God. I just looked like some man. Or possibly a woman. Some vague authority figure, maybe. More of a grammar school teacher than the almighty.

“Don’t worry,” I said. “They’ll be fine. Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn’t have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will cry on the outside, but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it’s any consolation, she’ll feel very guilty for feeling relieved.”

“Oh,” you said. “So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?”
“Neither,” I said. “You’ll be reincarnated.”
“Ah,” you said. “So the Hindus were right,”
“All religions are right in their own way,” I said. “Walk with me.”

You followed along as we strode through the void. “Where are we going?”
“Nowhere in particular,” I said. “It’s just nice to walk while we talk.”
“So what’s the point, then?” You asked. “When I get reborn, I’ll just be a blank slate, right? A baby. So all my experiences and everything I did in this life won’t matter.”
“Not so!” I said. “You have within you all the knowledge and experiences of all your past lives. You just don’t remember them right now.”

I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. “Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful, and gigantic than you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain a tiny fraction of what you are. It’s like sticking your finger in a glass of water to see if it’s hot or cold. You put a tiny part of yourself into the vessel, and when you bring it back out, you’ve gained all the experiences it had.

“You’ve been in a human for the last 48 years, so you haven’t stretched out yet and felt the rest of your immense consciousness. If we hung out here for long enough, you’d start remembering everything. But there’s no point to doing that between each life.”

“How many times have I been reincarnated, then?”
“Oh lots. Lots and lots. And in to lots of different lives.” I said. “This time around, you’ll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 AD.”
“Wait, what?” You stammered. “You’re sending me back in time?”
“Well, I guess technically. Time, as you know it, only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from.”
“Where you come from?” You said.
“Oh sure,” I explained “I come from somewhere. Somewhere else. And there are others like me. I know you’ll want to know what it’s like there, but honestly you wouldn’t understand.”

“Oh,” you said, a little let down. “But wait. If I get reincarnated to other places in time, I could have interacted with myself at some point.”
“Sure. Happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own lifespan you don’t even know it’s happening.”
“So what’s the point of it all?”

“Seriously?” I asked. “Seriously? You’re asking me for the meaning of life? Isn’t that a little stereotypical?”
“Well it’s a reasonable question,” you persisted.

I looked you in the eye. “The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature.”
“You mean mankind? You want us to mature?”
“No, just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature and become a larger and greater intellect.”
“Just me? What about everyone else?”
“There is no one else,” I said. “In this universe, there’s just you and me.”

You stared blankly at me. “But all the people on earth…”
“All you. Different incarnations of you.”
“Wait. I’m everyone!?”
“Now you’re getting it,” I said, with a congratulatory slap on the back.
“I’m every human being who ever lived?”
“Or who will ever live, yes.”
“I’m Abraham Lincoln?”
“And you’re John Wilkes Booth, too,” I added.
“I’m Hitler?” You said, appalled.
“And you’re the millions he killed.”
“I’m Jesus?”
“And you’re everyone who followed him.”

You fell silent.
“Every time you victimized someone,” I said, “you were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you’ve done, you’ve done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you.”

You thought for a long time.
“Why?” You asked me. “Why do all this?”
“Because someday, you will become like me. Because that’s what you are. You’re one of my kind. You’re my child.”
“Whoa,” you said, incredulous. “You mean I’m a god?”
“No. Not yet. You’re a fetus. You’re still growing. Once you’ve lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born.”

“So the whole universe,” you said, “it’s just…”
“An egg.” I answered. “Now it’s time for you to move on to your next life.”

And I sent you on your way.
1661070247386.png

Comments

WOW !!! 20 views, and not one 'like' !!!!???!?!?!??

Apparently, I was wrong ..... this isn't 'the right stuff' .... the hardest part is that it really connected with me, and I so much wanted to share it .... also, finding out that the lack of connection really hurts my totally non-evolved feelings :(:(:( :rolleyes: .... very disappointing .... thought I was further along than that :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: ...

Last edited:
According to the story…you’re the one not “liking” on your own post :)

Your story have brought new and different thoughts for most of the readers I suppose, and new thoughts are ..new..
My own view on the matter is soo different, but the reading was fun and interesting :thumbsup:
As a lot of you writing

(Except for your font, maybe it’s just my tablet, ? but for me it’s a bit hard to read.
without a huge amount of energy I often give up on the reading. Not because of the content)

According to the story…you’re the one not “liking” on your own post :)
I know :lol::lol: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: .... I thought of that, too, and had to laugh at myself. As I often do ...

My own view on the matter is soo different, but the reading was fun and interesting :thumbsup:
Ditto. Not exactly what I believe, but so engaging and thought-provoking and mind-opening .... and mind-bending .... irresistible and haunting ....

I would like to read it, and I hope to schedule that....

and the Blogs don't seem to result in a notice: you have to go check BLOGS and then its OH, YY posted something! So thats exciting...I"m just real slow.
I think it's right up your alley, Red. It may not mirror our exact beliefs, but if 'ALCHEMIST' was your jam, this will almost certainly be of interest as well ....

And yes, it is frustrating that there's o particular alert for blogs, but if you go to the top of a blog page, slightly to the right of center, there's a little window with 'WATCH' in it. Click on that, and all future entries will appear as regular alerts for you.

That'll be quarter please. Tough times doncha' know .....

I'm scheduling a read for my little lie down! Possibly alchemical! Ooh Goody.

I have not been very alchemical lately. However, I recently contacted my "Best Friend For Forever"..(her term). (email exchanges, of course she hates email)

And all day long after that the synchronicities poured in. Oh every ten minutes all day and night.

Made me laugh.

This is one of my favorite topics!!

"a short story by Andy Weir …. it succinctly summarizes odd ruminations I’ve had about the possible nature, function, and purpose of reincarnation,"

how exciting!

Thats a wonderful expression of possibilities.

I really really resonated with the part that : we keep at it until we have lived EVERY experience needing living. And then we can be the more complete being.

It means we are entirely responsible. And there is no escaping the responsibility.

It also means you can forgive your own failings. You can recognize, well it was a failing, or I could have done better, or tried harder or been more aware at that one moment in time.

Had I only been kind that afternoon, to the stranger at the door.....well, in another point in time, a stranger will be at the door, needing kindness. Another chance arises, to make the Better Choice.

Another cool idea in the story- is being sent back in time. We tend to think of it more commonly as some future reappearance....This is also something I've thought about alot. How might one achieve a different outcome or result? Can we change or revise our own history?

what if we can in fact Change That Outcome, for the better?

.Also- I think its not just human lives...to live and experience and learn from.

I wonder: who is Andy Weir...

He wrote The Martian....!

I write down one liners from that film, its so brilliant.

I love Andy Weir....

the last lines in that film ! wow

It also means you can forgive your own failings.
Equally importantly it means that we must forgive The Other for their failigs, if at some point The Other is Us .... what a tangled web !!!!

Another cool idea in the story- is being sent back in time
I remember reading either a short story or a novella whose premise was exactly that .... that reincarnation is on a two-way continuum, so Karma can work in some really nasty ways. We gotta pick up every stitch ....

Can we change or revise our own history?
I'm not sure, but I think nly by the Buddhist premise of Right Action, since we don' carry any memories from incarnation to incarnation. Which I've always thought was really unfair.

It's like trying to potty train a puppy by waiting to punish him for peeing on the rug til the next day or next week or whatever ...

what if we can in fact Change That Outcome, for the better?
Again, we can only do that by Right Action, since we have no memories of past lives that we can carry with us .... at least that's what The Egg implied strongly ....

Also- I think its not just human lives...to live and experience and learn from.
I agree. Anyone who takes the time and has the love can learn absolute buckets from animals. Dogs, cats, pet ferrets, wild birds, aquarium fish, you name it. They're sentient. They think. It's just that they dont think the same way we do, so it's a matter of decoding, or just hanging with them long enough to get a clue.

I totally KNEW you were going to get it, Red !!! I knew that the fable would spark you !!! Im soooooo glad I was right, it would have almost broken my heart otherwise ....

I subscribe to this general notion about life and soul and purpose or point of it all. Beautifully told.

And I would add that I find it super helpful living in the diminished world of ME/CFS. I get to ask myself: what can I get from this circumstance that I would miss if I were healthy? I feel pretty confident that in future lifetimes I won't be (none of us will) dissing people with chronic illness even if we are Olympic athletes that time around.

Equally importantly it means that we must forgive The Other for their failigs,

True....yet forgiving ourself is often the single most difficult thing we find ourselves facing....

since we don' carry any memories from incarnation to incarnation. W

It would be nearly impossible or beyond impossible to process and hold all that experience and information at a conscious level, at a given moment in abstract time. And there can be memory glimpses, from a past (or other) incarnation. I don' t think its particularly common, and again there are likely reasons.

you name it

a Tree

I rather enjoyed that scene in Seven Years in Tibet...and everybody is suddenly stalled, because earth worms are being bothered by digging up the yard.

I am a person who will retrieve and save the earth worms....

Equally importantly it means that we must forgive The Other for their failigs, if at some point The Other is Us .... what a tangled web !!!!

reflecting back on an odd Moment in Recent History- staying at our friends place, I saw her come home, sneak in the back gate and go in the back door of her house...it was odd.

Two days later, she told us: she had done "something" driving. Made another driver mad. Problaby didn't signal, or cut somebody off. So a man in another car, is cursing her then follows her all over town. She was afraid. She didnt even pull into her driveway.

Her version of the story: this man was HERSELF. So she did an Andy Weir interpretation of the event.

Now at the time, I thought this was odd. I felt that she was responsible for her driving, and this other person is responsible for their own bad behavior. I saw two responsible parties, she saw only one.

Unfortunately for me, she invalided my illness. Its an illusion.

And maybe it is. But for now, I have no where to put that. so it just hangs out ...on a peg on the wall....

True....yet forgiving ourself is often the single most difficult thing we find ourselves facing....
But in this case, we're not forgiving ourselves on this plane of reality, we're forgiving The Other, whoever it was that offended or harmed us, without any awareness of Weir's premise in The Egg that The Other, IS us ....
Totally. Trees are ancient and sacred things, carrying a record of humaity's progress in their interiors. I hate even pruning them until I remind myself that it's a way to keep them healthy and growing ....
Unfortunately for me, she invalided my illness. Its an illusion.
Yeah? Well then, so is her invalidation. I have a real problem with people who exonerate themselves from the need for compassion and empathy by lobbing the guilt ball back into the other court.

And anyway, according to many belief systems, all of life on earth is an illusion, and with right practice, we can release ourselves from it. But that's way above my pay grade or abilities, so I just accept that one being's illusion is another being's reality. Followed by "Bite me" ....

But in this case, we're not forgiving ourselves on this plane of reality, we're forgiving The Other, whoever it was that offended or harmed us, without any awareness of Weir's premise in The Egg that The Other, IS us ....

yes, in this particular example: I'm not necessarily embracing The Egg Theory as the only Unified Field Theory...I think we can generate any number of such theories.

They are all useful for considering other ideas, concepts, or in stirring up the broth...changing things up, keep life interesting. Keeps us on our toes.

Life includes great mysteries. We don't need to solve them all today.

I'm not necessarily embracing The Egg Theory as the only Unified Field Theory..
I dont know that Weir meant it as an hypothesis as much as a thought provoking fable. And boy, did it do its ob .....

I think we can generate any number of such theories.
Yeah but Im betting we can't write them as well or as grippingly .... it totally owned my abslute attention by the end of the first sentence. What a kick-off !!!

Life includes great mysteries. We don't need to solve them all today.
Which is fortunate, because along with Schrodinger's Cat, Time Travel, Intelligent life on other planets, life after death, does Heaven exist? Does Hell? Where was Atlantis really located, and when ? Where did the Olympian gods go? How any angels can dance on the head of a pin? The odds are that we'll never solve any them, now, tomorrow, or at any point in the relative future.

They're just there to tantalize, a sort of cosmic Dance of the Seven Veils....

They are all useful for considering other ideas, concepts, or in stirring up the broth...changing things up, keep life interesting.
I agree. I love anything that makes me think in a sort of new language, as it were. Which The Egg does in spades.

I'm really tickled that you like it as much as I do, and respond to it's invigorating premise ....:woot::woot::woot: :thumbsup: :hug::hug:

I feel pretty confident that in future lifetimes I won't be (none of us will) dissing people with chronic illness even if we are Olympic athletes that time around.
You have waaaaaay more faith in humanity than I do, at least right now. I'm sort of dismal today, and believe, pretty much, that we are and always have been attuned to marginalizing The Other, whatever group or person or country or Nation State that might be in that given moment. Very dispiriting, even if you tell yourself that it started very innocently as a survival mechanism in the way-back.

Like I said, dismal, down, and brain-splongey today. I'll be fine tomorrow. Or maybe the day after. Who knows :(:(..... we're living in an infinite universe of possibilities ....:xeyes::xeyes::xeyes:

that we are and always have been attuned to marginalizing The Other, whatever group or person or country or Nation State that might be in that given moment.

any number of these human tendencies are tied into evolutionary biology and natural selection and all that stuff which also is operating even if we are just an Egg.

So we have an innate tendency to react very strongly in certain ways to certain things. But as an intelligent being, once can learn to rise above those natural tendencies, as it were.

Recognizing our tendency to be malicious mean greedy selfish monkeys, we can chose to not be that way.

I think Edgar C. knows about that one.
If he did, he took it to the grave with him, But with Cayce, that's not necessarily the end of the story, so who knows. They searched extensively off Bimini, one of his chosen sites, or part of it (it was huge) but found nothing conclusive ..

I like to add multi universes and string theory to the mix for pondering
Total yes on multiverses, but unless you can explain string theory to me in a way I can really really understand I'ma gonna pass ...

And if you start off with every single particle being related to other particles called 'superpartners', and then move on to bosons and fermions, I'ma gonna absolutely pass out ....

Recognizing our tendency to be malicious mean greedy selfish monkeys, we can chose to not be that way.
I can only think of two successes along those lines. Well, three. The Christ, The Buddha, and Gandhi ...

Cause it's not just a tendency, it's inherent to our nature and our survival, and drilled deeply into our sub-sub-sub-conscious. It's like trying to chose ourselves out of a broken arm ... or ME ...

Like Jessica in Who Killed Roger Rabbit said, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way ...." .... as are we ...

Tho why she'd fall in love with a jittery coward of a not all that smart rabbit beats me, but that's a story for another day ....

EDIT .... for clarity, if I canfind any .... oh, and some typos ...

Last edited:

Blog entry information

Author
YippeeKi YOW !!
Read time
5 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs