• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

On resting and getting past the initial fear of resting

Getting past my fear of resting
Earlier on in my illness, I felt a fear of resting, and of falling asleep. I was afraid that if I rested, or fell asleep during the day, I wouldn't be able to wake up or get going again.

I was afraid based on experience. Whenever I rested, it made me more sluggish. Because I was so rest-deprived, falling asleep during the day was really hard to wake up from. The deeper I rested, the worse I felt afterwards.

Two things have changed.

Firstly, I am not afraid any more of being sluggish. It's an inconvenience and sometimes I do resist and resent it. However, I've experienced it so much now that it's become normal. I was afraid of it because it was a symbol of how ill I was - how I really do have this serious illness. I now accept that I am ill. This is just my life. The familiarity of the feeling helps me not be afraid of it. The acceptance also helps me not be afraid of it.

Secondly, I am in the habit of resting regularly, and I don't over-exert as extremely or as frequently as I used to. So I'm a lot more stable in my symptoms. I only fall asleep during the day if I've over-exerted recently - normally I don't need extra sleep in the day. Instead, I meditate, or just keep still and quiet if I can't resist thinking enough to give my attention to meditation. Because of this stability, I don't become as extremely sluggish as I used to after a rest.

I still do have a tiny bit of fear that makes me resist fully resting. I feel my legs getting heavy like logs of wood and I fear not having control of them sometimes. It often takes a while to get them going again, and I don't enjoy it. It would be nice if I could enjoy it.

Benefits of resting
Resting 3 times a day has made me stable. It's stopped me from getting worse. It's helped me out of a boom and bust cycle. Time will tell if it will help me get better.

My theory about why I feel sluggish after a rest is that it breaks the adrenaline high somehow. The deeper the rest, the more into resting mode I become overall. Resting during the day helps me get to sleep much better at night.

I resist resting when I'm on an adrenaline high because I don't want the feeling to end... because it does make it end quite reliably. I love feeling able to get things done. But I also know that staying in that mode for too long is what leads to crashes. I especially resist meditating because that's a much better rest than just staying still and thinking.

I might feel ok-ish (for me) at 1pm, and hope that I might be able to leave the house today. Then I'd have a half hour rest at 2pm after lunch, and afterwards I'll know for sure that I can't manage the walk to the bus stop - my legs just won't do it. If I want to ignore my needs, it's better to skip the rest so I can over exert and enjoy it while the energy lasts (and then put up with the inevitable crash). The rest keeps me from over exerting - it puts me in touch with what my actual limits are. These days I rarely choose to not rest.

I believe that all this meditating is doing me a lot of good. Apart from being much more stable in my ME symptoms, I'm more relaxed in general. I was never this calm before this illness.

Maybe a day will come when I won't need to rest three times a day anymore, but for now, this is working for me.

Comments

Wow, this is really good Lior. I need to reread this when I can take it in because I hate resting during the day.

Yes do rest when you know you need it. I think this business is a question of adapting to things.
I don't "nap" well either but that's not new. I was always like that. When I slept I always went into deep sleep cycles like my system was primed for the full night time sleep, and a nap confused my system horribly. It still does, so I don't do it.
But rest...that's different. I have adapted now to allowing myself to rest, and I lie down and fully relax while listening to some music. It's becoming fun in a way. Though it's a far cry from the life I'm used to and sometimes I feel a pull back to the way I used to live and want to jump up again and get on with some work.
But we have to be sensible.
I wish you well. Take care.

Blog entry information

Author
PracticingAcceptance
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from PracticingAcceptance