• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Old space and rocket book that's new to me in the mailbox today.

Old space and rocket book that's new to me in the mailbox today.
Book is almost as old as I am.
:)

And ohh I would love 1/144 scale plastic model kits of those rockets on the cover ...
With nicely rendered miniatures of the astronaut figures shown ...

It has 2 groupings of images with maybe 2 or 4 color plates of rockets & a number of astronomical images in B&W.
{EDIT: missed the 1s, make that 12 to 14 color plates}
Was hoping it would have more images of rocket ideas of the period, be they color, B&W, line drawing, but forgot to ask the seller.

It was there and in my price bracket so I bought it immediately after finding it while doing a reverse image search of the cover art posted on a Tumblr blog.
And I was sick at the time, so call it shopping therapy.
That and the antibiotics do seem to be helping.
:)

IMG_9239.JPG
IMG_9244.JPG

and ...

Meet Chesley Bonestell, the most important space artist you’ve probably never heard of
Before spacecraft revealed our solar system, Chesley Bonestell's art offered a window into the environments of outer space. His visions often proved true.
By Richard Tresch Fienberg | Published: Friday, March 15, 2019
http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/...nt-space-artist-youve-probably-never-heard-of

Over the last half century, spacecraft have visited every planet and their major moons, as well as two dwarf planets and more than a dozen asteroids and comets. Thanks to high-res images, we know these worlds intimately and can appreciate what makes each of them unique. These days, fewer than 3 in 10 Americans are old enough to recall a time when our neighboring worlds were indistinct dots in even the most powerful telescopes.

And yet, even before there were spacecraft to show us, in the 1940s and ‘50s, readers of magazines such as Collier’s, LIFE, and Sky & Telescope had a pretty good idea what kinds of scenery we might find on the Moon, Mars, Pluto, and the moons of the outer planets. All these worlds came to life in paintings by a single visionary artist: Chesley Bonestell (pronounced BONN-uh-stell). He’s the subject of a new feature-length documentary, “Chesley Bonestell: A Brush with the Future.” If you’ve never heard of Bonestell, you’ll come away from the film wondering why not. And if, like me, you knew something of Bonestell’s life and work, you’ll be astonished to discover how much more you didn’t know.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
southwestforests
Read time
1 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from southwestforests