Old Medicine or New Medicine

A big wonder in the modern world of medicine is why one medicine works for someone with a condition, but not for another person with the same condition. Science goes into great depth and expends jaw dropping amounts of money to figure questions like this out. It works with all sorts of expensive scientific machines and methods, and yet science is just as far from the truth of the matter than it was when it began researching. Today we see lots of experiments and studies being done on genetics in attempts to find proven scientific reason for such questions.

However, if we look backward to pre-technologic cultures and the medicine people of those cultures, we find understanding that science has yet to “prove”, yet such wisdoms worked for those people for thousands of years. From Native Americans to Australian Aboriginals, to Vulvas of ancient Scandinavia; traditional medicine workers all throughout Asia, and others around the globe. It was, and still is by many, understood that everything here upon this planet is in a relationship with everything else. Every life form is unique unto itself, even though it may look similar to others of its kind. Just look at humans for example.

Families may share the same blood (but blood types may differ within), share the same genes, but different genetic codes may be open or closed, dominant or not within various individuals in the same family. One person in the family may have a cold damp constitution, while another might be hot and dry. Another might have a cool and dry constitution, and yet another could have a damp warm constitution. One might be prone to depression, while another is bubbly all the time. One an introvert and another an extrovert.

Each of us are made up of all the elements of this earth, but the hierarchy varies from person to person in that the predominance of elemental energies is unique. Each member of a family could easily have been born in different months, under different moons, in different seasons and at different times of the day or night. All members of a blood family could have been also born in different locations in the world, hence different ecosystems. The mother could have been living in an ecosystem, exposed to it in everyday during her pregnancy, different than where she was born. This will also affect the constitution of the infant.

All of that and more was taken into account by the olden medicine workers, because they inherently knew it all mattered and changed the exact circumstances of the imbalance, or medical issue.

It was well known that as the plants are in dynamic relationships with one another, and the rest of the environment within each ecosystem, so then are we. The understanding of these natural relationships through acute observation allowed them to better understand what to use and how to mix energies to create the most useful medicine for each individual… and so each would vary. Like I very briefly addressed in my Ancient Botanical Wisdoms article.

Another angle is that I am talking about people outside, prior to the industrialized world of today. They were more connected and had a greater understanding of this world than science will ever figure out. One major reason is that everything was alive and had spirit in their views, just as in my own. There is life in everything, and therefore that life is being called upon to assist another form of life whom has fallen to imbalance. Medicine People of old not only harvested and made medicines from a knowledge bank of astute observations, but also a deep connection and communication with the living world around them. Medicine worked because it was alive, had spirit and was created in such wisdom.

It is very true that medicine didn’t always work, and mistakes were made. People are people and life is life, and everything has faults, and everything is in a state of ebb and flow. Many times medicine does not require any plants or mineral or other very physical material. Sometimes medicine must come completely from the unseen without contamination of a physical container. Another thing modern science will never grasp.

Modern science has its place, absolutely. Though we exist in a living, breathing beating world, and the old wisdoms were honored and worked in so many instances throughout the expanse of olden time. For example, open heart surgery using only acupuncture for anesthesia 2,000 years ago… but since medical science cannot dissect acupuncture to understand how exactly it works, it has mostly ignored it. Recently there is more focus and some utilization of it in surgical procedures, but in the western nations it is pretty rare and slim. For many years I have used acupuncture as a natural anesthesia, rather than the chemical concoctions of western medicine (of which most I am allergic to), with great results.

I had a friend years ago who used the clear slimy juice from the cattail plant to rub on his gums prior to the dentist. It would dim down the nerve sensations and allow his dental visit to be more comfortable.

After I was poisoned many years ago, I was told that for the first year any pharmaceutical would likely kill me, and that I would need to utilize Eastern Medicine of herbs and acupuncture. The doctors told me they couldn’t tell me how that medicine worked, but they knew it would work far better than anything they could give me. I worked with a Traditional Eastern Medicine person during that time who literally helped save my life during that year.

Years before that I had taken a nasty blow from a machete to my upper arm in Central America in the 90’s. It went deep and hit bone. It was field dressed, and two days later I was back State-side. But no matter how much western medicine was packed into it, the wound became infected time and time again and prevented healing. I told the docs to forget it and I would do it myself. They told me I was crazy and if I left their care I would surely lose my arm. In all my training I was taught to field stitch and did so many times. I had the materials for the job as well.

I wrangled up an acupuncturist I knew. Needles were inserted as nerve blocks for the upper arm. The wound was cut open. We poured in warmed raw honey, layered a poultice of yarrow, horsetail and Shepherd’s purse, then packed the exterior with green cambium from the white pine tree, and layered ton of gauze over top, and tied it up. We made strong white pine needle tea with stinging nettle, yarrow leaves and horsetail. I drank 6 cups between the bandaging and the following day. The next day the needles were reinserted, the dressing was removed from the wound. The swelling and redness had greatly diminished. We reapplied the honey, stitched it up, placed a poultice of stinging nettle, yarrow leaves and horsetail again and wrapped it with clean gauze. I drank another 3 cups of that tea each day for a 5 days. The dressing was removed each day and raw honey was smeared on the wound every morning for 5 days as well. On the sixth day no more dressing was applied and it healed up just fine. I’ve a solid scar from the incident of course, but I have many of those…

I returned for work and the docs couldn’t believe it was healed, especially by the method that was employed. I healed myself many times throughout the years from wounds, and all with the natural wisdoms of the natural world.

Old Medicine has limitations, especially today with the amount of deforestation and pollutants. Also one needs to question (if not harvesting yourself), where was it grown, how was it grown, how was it harvested, when was it harvested, who harvested it, how was it processed, how was it packaged, how long has it been sitting on some shelf or in a warehouse? Western Medicine also has its limitations, mainly because the true life essence is missing in the cold hard science. To combine them in balance, honoring and preserving the best of both - what a gift that could be.

comfrey.JPG

Comments

I used to know so much more about the natural world and what it had to offer. A great sadness that so much information was lost (to seizures). Still, we keep picking up and learning from the beginning again...but things don't hold.

Not too long ago, I had a deep cut on the top of my foot. Blood just poured out of it and yes, it did hurt, but not to the magnitude one would think.

I remembered plain old black pepper being used for this type of wound. A trip to the hospital was really out of the question that day...and I wanted to try this anyway.

Fast forward to the wound and McCormick's black pepper, nothing fancy at all.
The cut was fairly large, but more than anything....deep. No, it didn't hurt at all when it was liberally applied, stopped the bleeding right away and amazingly enough a scar wasn't left at all. Healing was at warp speed and I'll definitely try it again. My husband was rather taken aback, but I really didn't want to go and wait in the ER.

So, yes, nature provides many healing products to us. We may not even be aware of some of them b/c it has always been that way for us. The only real concern I have is whether or not it's smart to combine vitamins, herbal and regular meds. I try to learn and hold these matters, but things don't stay in the same manner. What a shame....at a time of life when we're actively happy to learn, our mind prevents us from doing so....at least in the same way. Don't ever stop learning, it's part of what makes us human and there are so many, many interesting topics, aren't there? Yours, Lenora.

Photo: comfrey?

A great medicinal plant I used extensively-- not much lately. And very pretty. It pulls nutrients from great depths.

They declared it dangerous...the whomever makes those declarations. And now I don't get those kinds of bad coughs I once did, but I"d use it again.

Honey is antiseptic, antibacterial. The other herbs, herbs of the "north"....

in some other biome, or region, other plants would provide similar healing qualities.

While in southern Mexico, I saw heaping drums of mixes of herbs at the mercado- with simple labels. People still seek healing from those who are wise, and who notice and observe.

Fast forward to the wound and McCormick's black pepper, nothing fancy at all.
The cut was fairly large, but more than anything....deep
Thats good to know....

I happened to rent a house from the famous McCormicks....for eleven days with some friends, before the Air B N B take over.

The house was more famous than the McCormicks.

Mild burns: onion skin..............stops it from hurting immediately, and heals quick...

My personal go to CURE ALL= goldenseal

When in doubt, apply or consume.

The cut was fairly large, but more than anything....deep. No, it didn't hurt at all when it was liberally applied, stopped the bleeding right away and amazingly enough a scar wasn't left at all. Healing was at warp speed and I'll definitely try it again.
Yes black pepper works well for this application. Yarrow leaves crushed works the same for the same situation. Mashed oak leaves do as well... among many other plants. If ever you have no plants or pepper, and you need to stop bleeding, burn something (anything natural will work that does not contain dyes or other contaminants) - take the white ashes and push them into the wound and layer them on top. They will stop the bleeding and offer a protective cover to prevent infection. You don't even have to wash them out, just let the wound and the ashes do their thing. I've used ashes for this purpose more times than I can recount.
Don't ever stop learning, it's part of what makes us human and there are so many, many interesting topics, aren't there?
Indeed! It keeps the mind young :)

Yes it is comfrey in bloom from just down the dirt road.
They declared it dangerous
It isn't, but the way they determine those things is quite insane. They make sure to concentrate the herb to levels nobody could ever manage naturally, and if they find an adverse reaction, they label it "dangerous". They did the same with sassafras many years ago.
Honey is antiseptic, antibacterial. The other herbs, herbs of the "north"....
Yes it is! Raw honey is amazing stuff. The other herbs - mainly from the eastern region of the country, but necessarily the north. Most can be found from Quebec to Florida.
in some other biome, or region, other plants would provide similar healing qualities.
Absolutely. I could have used a ton of different plants for the purpose, but those were available and in the best stage of growth at the time.

Ever looked into the story around Esiak?

rather fascinating....

I got into this back and forth with my CTM expert- because I obtained Icelandic Arnica. For my bladder. And its rather great stuff. But I had to get it mail order, and just haven't ordered any lately.

so my chinese herbalist is a bit "worked up" over the consumption of the root and me taking this plant from Iceland. And this isn't the same species the chinese are using.

And I have no problem with that but he did. My position was: well nobody from china has simply ever bothered to look at THIS SPECIES and this part of the plant, grown there in THAT biome (Iceland).

Most plants have never been subject to 2000 years of careful observation and application. Which is how the chinese figured out what how all this works.

Oh, dear.....it sounds like someone has his shorts in a knot, doesn't it? Half of what we take is probably from the wrong part of some species....everyone stretches the truth a little.

He'll get over himself and the upset. He's probably taking the wrong remedy himself! Yours, Lenora

Essiac.....Cassie spelled backwards. Yes, we lived in Canada when that first came out and yes, it came from Indians who taught her (Cassie, the nurse) how to use this formula. I can't even remember what's in it at the moment, but do know that it's supposed to be helpful for cancer treatments.

Cassie has now passed on, which means that some large company probably owns everything to do with the original formula. Interesting story. Yours, L.

I wish I could use something for all of these pelvic fractures. Any ideas from the peanut gallery? I forgot to ask you.....and I'm getting nowhere at the moment. Pest! Yours, Lenora.

so my chinese herbalist is a bit "worked up" over the consumption of the root and me taking this plant from Iceland. And this isn't the same species the chinese are using.
Yes I run into many TCM practitioners who were very, let’s say, pompous and astringent in nature. But I’ve also worked with many who were quite the opposite and honored plants and their uses from around the world.
Ever looked into the story around Esiak?
I think you might have meant Essiac? Yes I looked into that mixture years back on multiple occasions. The creator of the mixture is Rene Caisse, and Cassie spelled backward is Essaic, thus she need it after herself. I’ve found no supporting evidence that it does anything near what she claims. I tried it myself years back and noticed nothing, and felt nothing. I’ve know others with medical conditions whom have tried it as well. The only thing of notice was that some of them got worse on the concoction.

Also her story about the recipe had changed multiple times over the years, as had her story about where she got the recipe from. It was all bit fishy.

So I’m not sold on it.

I wish I could use something for all of these pelvic fractures. Any ideas from the peanut gallery? I forgot to ask you.....and I'm getting nowhere at the moment. Pest! Yours, Lenora.
Have you tried using RED light on the pelvis a few times daily? Also have you tried old herbs in tea such as Boneset? A strong tea drunk three times a day made with Horsetail, Alfalfa and Stinging Nettle can work wonders in assisting the body to mend bones. Horsetail tincture at 15-20 drops 4 times a day can also assist heal broken bones.
Epsom Salt baths to easy the pain. Also a strong tea of the inner bark of Paper Birch has always worked very well for me in dulling pain.

Even though I typically not partial, or trusting of large herbal suppliers, there are a couple that I do recommend.

The first is a supplier of Eastern Tea Medicines. It was actually started by one of my students many years back, who had such a passion for preserving tribal authenticity and supporting the ancient ways of people still living and practicing them. In the bulking shadow of the major corporate tea industry that clear cuts, mass cultivates, pollutes and offers the world depleted and worthless teas, my student saw an opportunity to delve deeply into the mountains of Asia. He sought out true tea artisans who still live with, care for, harvest and prepare teas in the ancient ways. Then he created Wild Tea Chi in order to not only bring their products to the world, but support their disappearing lifestyles and traditions, as well as bring to to world their stories.

After a number of years, he gave the small company to his assistant, who is also a dear friend of mine. She has equal the passion, intelligence, compassion and care for the traditions of her people, and has carried the torch well.

I can 100% recommend their products as the best quality Eastern Medicinal Teas I’ve ever come across.

Wild Tea Chi

Another botanical company that I feel does well in locating and offering high quality medicinal plants is

I don’t know them personally, but have used some of their products and they feel solid.

Mountain Rose Herbs

I think you might have meant Essiac?
spelled variously.....plus, I do not participate in Spelling Bees any longer. I misspell most words now, thank you ME.

also called the Ojibwa Tea...the inference being the mix of herbs were used by this tribe.

What I find ironic is those herbs are all European weeds. They came here with the European invasion. They aren't native to the territory.

I"ve never taken them myself, and likely wouldn't as I already know some are contraindicated for me.

Yes, we have herbs all over the world. What we don't necessarily have are Protocols developed long term across time, as to how use them. the chinese protocols are part of a system which we have an extensive history working with it. And certainly there are others, that I'm not familiar with.

the chinese system is much safer than tossing down mystery herbs somebody read about....

wow, what a story about the machete wound! I truly do not think there is much comparable to raw honey and manuka honey for skin lesions/infections etc. What a testament.

In 2018/2019 i could do nothing but a few foods internally (and i could barely tolerate these)...by nothing, i mean nothing. I became allergic to most antibiotics, medications, a few drops of vitamin C on my skin made my lips and throat swell into a bad episode...you get the picture. One of the only things i could do? raw honey. It is believed i had a bout with pneumonia in winter of 2019 and had a fever over 100 for 30 days...yeah...but i had no access to healthcare unless i rang for an ambulance to take me to ER and i was already in such poor shape that i kinda had to make the decision to just see where fate went with it. I was getting close to calling one though and then i decided to rub manuka honey all over my chest twice a day. i had already been taking small amounts of raw honey. That fever started going down within days of this. It was truly remarkable and i remain forever grateful to that jar. I also deal with many bedsores and the like and manuka honey is a godsend for these as well. It became a running joke with one of my bedridden friends. She said, at least sunshine can do manuka honey because she uses it for EVERYTHING.:lol:

As always, i enjoy reading and learning with your blog. be well.

Hi Wolf.....I haven't checked yet, but I'm assuming that I can buy Paper Birch Tea somewhere on line. I'll do that right away.

Ice has always been my go-to as far as pain goes, but this time it seems to be making things tighter, so perhaps I'll try my red light...if it still works. I feel like some crybaby, I can tell you. As most people know, my sleep is rather limited anyway, so I don't think I need any fewer hours.

I think a clothing blog would be excellent, especially if it details what people wore, how and also how they were made. Thanks for the ideas....I'm going to look for that tea immediately. I do sponge myself off with Epsom Salts. We had a perfectly good & useful bathtube and bought a new one! Big mistake as you can't even get out of this one. It just sits there, so I'll put a washcloth into the salts & see how that works. Be careful all you good folks, you don't want this to happen to you. Yours, Lenora.

wow, what a story about the machete wound! I truly do not think there is much comparable to raw honey and manuka honey for skin lesions/infections etc. What a testament.
Yes that was but one of the many times I utilized natural medicines to heal my many wounds. 4 or 5 inches higher and that machete blow would have hit my neck. But fate had it that the assailing guerrilla soldier was on a downhill slope when he swung.
I was getting close to calling one though and then i decided to rub manuka honey all over my chest twice a day. i had already been taking small amounts of raw honey. That fever started going down within days of this. It was truly remarkable and i remain forever grateful to that jar.
That in itself is a great testament to the honey! Yes Raw Honey is amazing, and the much more expensive Manuka is just as good or better in some circumstances. I found out about 4 years ago I have a slight digestive allergy to raw honey. What a blow that was to find out!!!!! I love honey. Grrrrrrrr.....
I can use it externally and eat a small amount once in a while, but not not near as often as I'd like.

Interesting to hear the full story Cassie and her wonder cure. I only use the name Essiac b/c that's the name people may remember, although after hearing about it I wouldn't waste one dime on it.

Good heavens, it has had approx. 40 yrs. to prove itself...and still nothing?? Well, enough is enough; Ojibwa tea it is and you don't have to pass a spelling test for it. Nor do I :) Yours, Lenora

Good heavens, it has had approx. 40 yrs. to prove itself...and still nothing?? Well, enough is enough; Ojibwa tea it is and you don't have to pass a spelling test for it.
online I ran into some web page at NIH describing a clinical trial of ESSIAK.....around 2006....but no results were shown.

those types of herbs are likely good generally as antioxidants and have some qualities like helping cleanse the liver. So that probably helps some people some of the time.

We still have folks who go to alternative healing places, go on strict diets, drink lots of wheat grass and eat tons of vegetables and sometimes one is cured.

i decided to rub manuka honey all over my chest twice a day. i had already been taking small amounts of raw honey. That fever started going down within days of this.
A dear friend of mine in Finland got covid a while back. He had a fever for 11 days, lost a bunch of weight because he couldn't eat, was losing his mental faculties and his body was systematically shutting down. He developed full blown pneumonia. His wife brought him to the hospital where he was in the ICU for days. After recovering enough they gave him O2 and sent him home. I told him your story of using Manuka honey on the chest twice per day. He took me up on the advice and within days started to feel better and get some energy back.
I need to check in with him this weekend and see if he is of the O2 yet.

A dear friend of mine in Finland got covid a while back. He had a fever for 11 days, lost a bunch of weight because he couldn't eat, was losing his mental faculties and his body was systematically shutting down. He developed full blown pneumonia. His wife brought him to the hospital where he was in the ICU for days. After recovering enough they gave him O2 and sent him home. I told him your story of using Manuka honey on the chest twice per day. He took me up on the advice and within days started to feel better and get some energy back.
I need to check in with him this weekend and see if he is of the O2 yet.
wow Wolf! Thats incredible!
I find it pretty fascinating that the same substance taken in different forms can have different impacts.

Definitely have him check out this too to rebuild his lungs in case the virus is like epstein barr and digs deep for years resurfacing, etc. Cordyceps is really promising and underspoken about for covid (and lungs).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7754931/

Definitely have him check out this too to rebuild his lungs in case the virus is like epstein barr and digs deep for years resurfacing, etc. Cordyceps is really promising and underspoken about for covid (and lungs).
Indeed.
Butterfly weed (Pleurisy root) is great for acute lung inflammation and other lung issues.

I've used Pleurisy root to heal my lungs from bronchitis and pneumonia in the past with nice success. It is a gorgeous plant that I've come across in full bloom before!

Indeed.
Butterfly weed (Pleurisy root) is great for acute lung inflammation and other lung issues.

I've used Pleurisy root to heal my lungs from bronchitis and pneumonia in the past with nice success. It is a gorgeous plant that I've come across in full bloom before!
I've never heard of it. Thank you. I'm going to look it up.
Wow, i had pleurisy twice in the beginning of this illness (in one year). That would have been helpful. Although topical oregano oil did assist me through those bouts.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone...A feel good day towards everyone!

Is butterfly weed the same as butterfly plant? I do tend to have rather constant lung problems...have never smoked, but would like to try something that may help in some area. Does it help with allergies do you know @sunshine44 (I hope you're doing OK...and enjoyed a handmade card from your daughter this morning).

My husband brought home at least a cold if not Omicron from visting our daughter at Thanksgiving. Of course I caught it....and as of the middle of February the coughing still lingers. His was fine after a week.

There are a lot more butterflies around than I thought. We have butterfly weed, butterfly plant and butterfly pea....what are the differences. The latter does have a research report on it, and it's amazing what this plant has to offer.

However, confusion reigns! Is there a difference? (Some are without pictures.) I guess a visit to a local know-it-all health food store would help. Sunshine if you know the answers, that would be highly beneficial. I noticed that butterfly pea is also good for inflammation....one of our big problems. Thanks. Yours, Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
Nord Wolf
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Nord Wolf