• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nursing Home Reality: A (Social) Day in the Life / PLUS - My Decorated Wall

Decor Values

Finally and at long last, almost everything went up. This includes each of the items sent to me over the past couple months, meant to cover my walls. I am now decorated. I have color in my room. Pizzazz. A reason for my eyes to linger longer.

The activities coordinator spent roughly 97 minutes in my room putting everything in order. That includes unpacking the nearly forgotten items that have been packed up in a large box ever since I moved across into the Covid Isolation Unit, back in mid-December.

Nearly everything was affixed to the bulletin board. The exceptions being, Andyguitar's map going on my closet door. And the guitar blueprint, along with the 3d cards, being placed upon my windowsill.

I am very pleased with the look, and with Angela's efforts. I didn't do much at all, besides pointing a few times. Plus, I thought it was rather cool that she found a way to utilize the leftover birthday balloons.

As an added bonus, if and when they relocate me (place me elsewhere), everything can move along with me rather simply.

So thanks again for initiating this... on my end, slow-motion process. Now I am finally personalized. From an outside perspective, it appears as though I'm a real person now. But I suppose I do not really know how to explain that. My take on this.

ME / CFS Matters

For the most part, I am continuing to improve. My physical energy is up. Rather than my former 6 hours to recover upon arrival at this nursing home facility (after having performed in the Bedside Commode Olympic Event), I am now more typically down to one or two hours of recovery time. And in two out of the past four days, I blew right past that mark with an unheard of 20-minute recovery time. I wasn't completely recovered, mind you, but neither was I taxed beyond repair.

Additionally, my skin is dark as can be. I've blown past the Hispanic population on hand (by several skin shades), so I would expect that my vitamin D levels are killing it right now… which is my motivation and objective here… being exposed daily to the sunshine, since I cannot tolerate vitamin D orally.

So yeah, let's keep this up!

A (Social) Day in the Life

The following names are fictitious, in order to protect the fictional. Nope, that doesn't make sense, but I'm sure you know what I mean, what I'm aiming for here.

What I am trying to do is give you an idea of my daily interpersonal interactions, because… well, I don't exactly know why. But the following instances represent a smattering of my current ongoing real-life social relationships (experienced during a particular day this week).

Does this make for an interesting read? I do not, nor cannot, know. But why not give this a shot, right? This may be of interest for those of you who don't get out often (or at all). And it's hard to believe that no more than four months ago, that was me. Locked in. Shut out. Cut off.

They, the People...

Nurse Mandy spent 45 minutes in my room (in the morning timeframe) discussing matters involving her broken toes, broken promises, and random mentions involving vague philosophical references. She and I had a few in-depth discussions over in Old Wing #2 (pre-covid), so it made sense that we had some catching up to do (prior to exploring all-new terrain). Anyway, her personality type is very similar to mine, except that she's more unyielding… which is likely an essential nurse-like quality or trait.

After I arrived outside in the courtyard a short while later, Mindy latched onto me for about 20 minutes during the mid-morning. She's a newer resident, and she's got some problems beyond physical. She may be a true millionaire (as she says), but she also steals things out of the garden. Yep, she's now got a dedicated stash of fresh grown cilantro back in her room. Additionally, she's an instigator of negativity. Of course, I don't play along, but she's prone to riling up the others. Either way, I make the effort to find "good" in her. Because it is in there, I suspect.

Note: this morning she asked me how it was that I'm able to stay so positive all the time. So in a sense, at least, she is aware of our difference in attitudes. Ha!

Maintenance Guy #1 and I discussed basketball for an even 22 minutes. Nice, right? I had plenty of fun. It's also something we've done previously (getting into basketball in that manner, enthusiastically). I read him as being a genuinely good human being, somebody on the up-and-up. Sincere. And it's so very difficult finding men who are able to talk about things (especially beyond sports), while not having their egos dictate their actions or color their words (I know this, as I used to be that kind of person!). Anyway, he seems to be the kind of person who can do this.

Coordinator Linda and I then knocked out a solid 30 minutes straight… a looping rollicking conversation slightly bent and invariably twisted in a soft pretzel reality without bounds. I don't even know what to say about the way she and I talk and relate, so I choose to forgo analysis altogether.

Resident Jillian came outside to hang out with me (35 minutes). She was in better spirits today, seemingly ready to take on the world (more so than the day prior). I enjoy seeing her happy and smiling. Content.

She's deeply religious, and I am not. But we've found common ground. And the staff are amazed that we get along in such a way, despite that difference. Additionally, she has me email her a copy of my blog entries. She's very much into my writing. Haha! Of course, she's disappointed that I'm not writing as often anymore.

Betsy and Blanche occupied 20 minutes of my time taking my vital signs (by the way, I was a robust 113 over 59), while also providing entertainment opportunities involving playful banter.

Yes, both are capable of being amusing and personable, just differently. It's introversion versus extroversion! And each is also highly capable of doing their job... as well as other jobs above and beyond their current designation.

Coordinator Tammie took 20 minutes out to explain and discuss her impending knee surgery. She'll be out for a while. She'll also have to endure lots of pain. But she's hopeful. As an aside, she's a fancy dresser. Or is she merely a color-coordinated clothing hound who is very big on boots? Nope, not very big boots, necessarily, but just having a wide array and assortment.

Linda came back for a 30 minute spell, intending to tie loose ends together. But mostly there was just a lot of unraveling, and perhaps some fraying around the edges. Some would call this deconstructive thought. Others would insist we were sharing a destructive mindset.

Federico and I took ten to discuss his ongoing architectural project. I'm excited to see the results, what he's come up with.. some type of elaborate irrigation system.

Betsy and Blanche came back to check on me, share a video, and otherwise figure out what was what in my room. Supplies needed. Required. Or unattainable. That took around 15 minutes. And now I think I've got everything I need.

There were other interactions here and there, five minutes with Frank and the new $20 flexi-lamp he acquired from Target, then five minutes chatting with Diane and her frigid fingers losing sensation in the cold breeze, then finally, seven intermittent minutes discussing situational potted planting and related cold weather behaviors with Colleen, an official outdoor Garden Correspondent.

Too Calm, Too Cool

I woke up yesterday morning super calm and relaxed, having knocked out six (nearly consecutive) hours. That's a rarity. Unfortunately my blood pressure was also super calm and relaxed, coming in at a low low discount rate of 78 over 49!

An hour later I was back up to 107 over 55. Yes indeed, I'm still experiencing post-covid blood pressure irregularities. But mostly, it's not affecting me in any way beyond the numbers themselves... and a one-day extreme incident that I won't get into.

Air Apparently

The cool breeze has been blowing outdoors, and I've been dressed accordingly. I sat outside in 45 degrees yesterday, surrounded by slowly warming air molecules. I experienced relative comfort with a scarf around my neck, as well as thick white socks keeping my toes toasty. By the late afternoon 58° had me partially pulling my shirt off, due to warmth and that desperate need for the ever insidious UVB.

Thank you for following along. And as a gift, I shall leave you with a link to a song that's been heavy in my rotation of late. The music is likely suitable for All Humans who are into impassioned female vocals.

Howard

20220204_165314_optimized.jpg

20220204_165340_optimized.jpg

Comments

GOOD MORNING, HOWARD.!....Since you're using names of some of my faves, I'll have to ask why one of your incognito's (or whatever)wasn't named Mork? I truly miss Robin Williams as no one could make me laugh the way he could.

You're a close second, sorry third (Rod has second place...when he makes an attempt to be angry with me!)......so there you have it. So we've settled that then, have we? Another time there will be a character named Mork? Good. I feel better already. Gosh, I miss that man...especially when he wasn't swearing like a soldier! (I'm not against swearing as such, it's just that sometimes I don't think he knew there was more than one language).

Well, you sound as if you have the gang working full time in your favor. Good news for you and, I have no doubt, them.

Please thank the coordinator for such a lovely display on your new board, the door (recognize Hufsamor's mail from Europe) and Andy's from England. You are such a spoiled lad, me boy! All those balloon cards...let's keep this theme going, huh? You gather friends like the library used to stamp the cards from the backs of books. Remember the old Dewey System? No, you're too young.

Rod would love talking to the maintenance guy....but talk of basketball would have to turn to something else: say sundials. (I assume you switched to your orange shirt for the basketball chat. You're a team player and all.)

The same with Frederico's irrigation system...now that would really catch his ear, but I thought the ancient Romans already settled that one. No, I know that can't be because there is always something wrong with ours. See, never trust a failed army to do a good job. Bear that in mind as you travel through life.

Thanks for sending the pictures. I'll even put them in my album (if I ever locate the daughter who took it.) Have a good one! A hearty hello to "the gang" from everyone at PR. Yours, Lenora.

Glad that your run-in with COVID is now a memory (apart from the BP thing...how long 'til that's back to normal?).

I'd like to see a picture of that new shade of skin!

yes, please document this tan!

is it only on one side, or do you rotisserie?

Is the hair getting lighter?

Meanwhile, love the general decor, and the fact that the balloons are still somehow slightly afloat.

the challenge of actually accomplishing things...

I've got a token gift here for my one brother, its in theory a Xmas gift. Imported from southern Mexico, there was not going to be any arrival by Xmas. What with shipping delays and all. The gift is sitting here still, and dust accrues.

Rufous and her grand plans to decorate somebody else's wall, can't seem to decorate her own.

When it all went up in smoke and flame, this created "issues" for me with regard to whats on the walls or sitting about on a shelf.

Mostly, my walls are now kept blank.

With time, tracking Mandy versus Mindy, should get easier for the reader!

Does this make for an interesting read? I do not, nor cannot, know.
YES, it's all interesting. I miss when you posted more, Howard, but I'm so happy that you're busy now and getting so much human interaction after being alone in a room for so long. So I'd rather you be too busy to post and enjoying a great social life.

For the most part, I am continuing to improve. My physical energy is up.
This makes me happy for you. I was concerned the virus might worsen your ME, but you sound so good, so that concern was unfounded, yay! And I love that you're feeling improvements.

I shall respond to the other comments soon. In the meantime, I cannot in good conscience post a current picture because... I lost those 12 Darned Covid Pounds and look like a scarecrow... although, with a REALLY dark tan!

However, I did take a selfie of myself (is there any other kind of selfie?) the day I found out I had Covid-19! And at the time, I was actively maintaining a very reasonable amount of dark pigmentation.

20211221_091735~2.jpg

As you can see, I am modeling clothes furnished by the People of Phoenix Rising.

Very nice. Thanks for posting and for the blog update. I'm super glad you're feeling better. :) (avatar update???)

Also, I think Maintenance Guy #1 really wants a name. What about we call him "Hank?"

I was wondering too if Mandy and Mindy are twins? That would be cool. I love those names and I love twins although maybe during brain fog it could be confusing. :xeyes:

:caffeinated::caffeinated: (I know you've been told this emoji is holding a cup of coffee but it's not a cup of coffee. For this "twins" illustration, it is a mask.):D

Now I am finally personalized. From an outside perspective, it appears as though I'm a real person now.

I get this. That was very nice of Angela. I hope you offered her one of those cupcakes on the table. Although knowing how polite you are, you probably did.

Hi!!! Jillian!!!...nice to kinda, sorta get to meet you!!! 🙋🏻

Do all these people know they are in your Chronicles of Ridgecrestia (other than Jillian) albeit with names changed to protect the innocent?? :cool:

Are you doing a blog of us for the nursing home folks too? :woot: a writing double-agent. :jaw-drop:

Hey, that's not a bad idea. Your writing is very uplifting. :balloons:

Okay...now I gotta go find an Emojis Anonymous group to join.

Hi @Howard....Great photo. You just need to be propped up on your non-existent (thank goodness) motorcycle for your photo ops.

Why am I not surprised that you like black? The music was a major tip-off, I guess. I could get one of those scarves to wear as a headband...look like a biker chick, huh? Well, one can dream! Although I'd say I've probably passed the age-o-meter scale, so you don't have to worry about encountering me...or a few of us.

You look good....and tough. Send out posters. Yours, Lenora.

Hi Howard, so glad you posted the updated photo with tan-age.

The shot of the parking lot is a bit - well Apocalpto? Where did everybody go, exactly? Do they pay time and a half for Sundays?

Are you doing a blog of us for the nursing home folks too? :woot: a writing double-agent. :jaw-drop:

oh: suddenly Im laughing imagining a counter News Letter, with updates from those of us On The Edge.

My father in law was doing the joke newsletter for his Adult Care facility.

Maybe the place could use more entertainment.

In order to properly respond to the questions and inquiries, I've decided to create a new blog posting, rather than attempt essay responses in a shortened form. So please, see also the next block posting. :)
COMING SOON!

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
6 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard