November - Hunting Moon

These articles are simply about the energies of each moon of the year. I wrote and published all of these in a long article years ago. Today I’m going to share them here, one by one, each month. These teachings/philosophies are from my Native American mentor who guided me through my childhood and taught me a great deal about this world and his people. I met him when I was 9 winters of age, and he began teaching me a year later when he was 86 winters of age. He was of the Munsee Lenni Lenape.

In December I will post two entries because there are not 12 moons in a year, but 13 full moons.
Each year has 13 moons, not 12.
Each moon is about 28 days long, but not exactly.
Since the calendar doesn’t add up, a Leap Year is inserted every 4 years to balance the scales.

The November moon is associated with hunting. In wilderness living situations most of the easily edible vegetation is gone. The only thing left is what was harvested from the growing time of the year and meat. It is also a time of year when the temps are much colder than earlier in autumn, and so the preservation of meat is easier.

I realize that are some vegans reading this and this isn’t to poke ribs, just a reality of tribes who lived off the land all year round for thousands of years, especially in the North Country where winter is a very large reality.

However, November is more than the Hunting Moon; it is also the Moon of Relationships. Part of this connects to the hunting aspect in that any traditional old ways hunter fully understood their relationship to the natural world. Hunting animals was/is hunting relations in the necessity of survival. The sacred intricate dynamic of hunter to prey relation was/is as old as human existence upon the earth, and even older among the animals themselves as they have always hunted each other. The wolf understands and respects the relationship they have with the deer. The deer understand their relationship with the plants they hunt and consume. It is a primal subconscious understanding that has kept balance among them since the dawn of life on earth.

The relationships aspect of the November Moon goes beyond hunting of course. It speaks to us all as the light grows dim and the warmth of the sun quickly leaves us until the spring snow melts. It speaks to us when the night sky seems darker and the stars seem brighter, closer, and more intense than ever. The November Moon energy talks to our hearts as we gather closer with loved ones in the long cold nights by the fire (or today for many, huddled on a soft couch in a warm living room drinking hot tea).

As the world outside the frost-touched window panes chills with early snowflakes drifting down, our hearts are reminded of the importance of relationships; to ourselves, family, friends, animals, plants, minerals, elements, seasons, night and day, dusk in-between, thoughts, emotions, memories, the universe, our ancestors and realm of spirit – everything. We are related to everything in one way or another, and so share all existence with everything else (whether one likes it or not). Though we must understand that not everything is meant or expected to get along and like everything else. Many people will not get along with each other. Many animals do not get along either. Even many plants do not coexist and if they are near one another they do their best o drive out or eradicate the other. Cedar trees are great examples of this. Nevertheless, we are still in relations with all existence. This means we must be able to analyze our relationships and come to understand and accept the level of each and not judge them.

Some relationships will be beautiful, some will be ugly, some indifferent, and some not even recognized at all, but they are there because we are here. November is a time to spend time becoming aware of as many relationships as we can or wish to be aware of. In all practicality, we can acknowledge our relationship with everything, but focus only on the ones that prompt the most growth and self-awareness within our lives; “good, bad, or ugly”.

Moon.png

Comments

Thank you so much for this really interesting post Nord Wolf. I have great respect for the Native Americans and their beliefs. Recently I have been researching Paganism and Wicca and it really resonates with me. I am taking more notice of the seasons and the Moon phases.I feel like this is my spiritual path although I still find the Buddhist philosophy valuable.I believe the Native Americans and Pagans have much to offer us at this time of chaos and uncertainty. Due to the changes in our climate, the environment is becoming more and more important to us all and I am not surprised that many younger people are turning to the Old religions.

Thank you so much for this really interesting post Nord Wolf. I have great respect for the Native Americans and their beliefs. Recently I have been researching Paganism and Wicca and it really resonates with me.
Quite welcome. Glad you got something out of it. I posted all of the moons so far this year that you can find in my blog list. Now that December is here, I will be posting another very soon.

Glad you have, or are finding energies and patterns that seem to resonate with your core. I spent almost a decade of my youth studying with an old Native American man. But I was raised Heathen in the ways of my bloodline from ancient Scandinavia and old Germania. I have held those ways close and unwavering for my entire earthwalk thus far, and they have served me well. Actually I know they are a big part of why I survived all that I have.

Yes, energies are shifting strongly and more quickly again. The Giants are growing bolder once more. Nothing remains the same. Change is an essential part of this world, and only humans deem it “good” or “bad”, but it is just change, part of the constant ebb and flow of this life.

Blog entry information

Author
Nord Wolf
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Nord Wolf