• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neck and cranial inflamation

I'm still amazed that one of the first things I noticed on this protocol (within about 4 weeks) was the slowly receding absence of inflamation in the cranial cervical junction and the head and over longer time the neck.

The neck stiffness took about 4 months to subside, but the swelling of the tissues and of the skull and occipital lymph nodes came down within 4 to 8 weeks. I saw a comment on discord the other day saying that Amy Proal the scientist who had ME herself, used immune modulators to get a lot of her health back. It makes me wonder which part of the protocol works the best for me, I do think oat bran (beta glucans) might be at the core. There are literally hundreds of studies that show the effect of beta glucans. I was reading one last night for asthma patients, which showed that beta glucan administration reduced the main pathway in asthmatic patients (that causes asthma). Also beta glucan administration slightly increased the number of neutrophil counts.

But more interesting was the fact that it increased the concentration in the spleen and in the blood. Now a CBC test will look at the blood venous to decide upon the concentration of neutrophils. But as Pyrrus pointed out, if neutrophils are low, it could just mean neutrophils have been sequestered to another location to deal with an infection or wound. So I found it intersting that the study showed the neutrophils concentrating more heavily in the spleen.

But back to the inflamation. I used to take andrographis paniculata fairly regularly, I very rarely take it now because I am not so sick that I have to rely on it to help me. The difference now is that even in the dead of winter when I take it I don't actually notice a great deal.

Remember that debate we all have about treatments and whether the treatment will ultimately leave us feeling so much more normal that we have a normal reaction to things? Well I can't say that's true in all cases for me but with andrographis when I take it now the effects are very mild. It used to be that I would take 400mg and I'd feel a reduction of swelling at the back of the head within 30 minutes. Of course there isn't any now so I therefore don't feel such a reduction anymore.

I still find it amazing this protocol and quite possibly the beta glucans from oat bran, has had such an effect. Plus oat bran is extremely cheap so literally anyone can take it.

When the joshua liesk protocol landed on PR I started researching all the various things in it and the first website I Came upon was this one: https://www.targetednutrients.com/2016/04/11/an-open-letter-to-victims-of-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Where a man called Steve Barwick went from severe and housebound to writing novels and working full time. One of the primary things that got him there (he only took a few things) was beta glucans.

A little exert from the same page above:

Beta-1,3/1,6 Glucan – the World’s Most Powerful Immune Booster!
During that same time-frame, I had also become extremely intrigued by what I’d been hearing about a potent all-natural immune system booster called Beta-1,3/1,6-glucan –

– which I learned was being given to children with cancer in an effort to increase their ability to withstand the ravaging, immune-suppressing effects of radiation and chemotherapy.

So I called the company that manufactures Beta-1,3/1,6-glucan, and was able to speak with Byron Donzis, the man who invented the technical process used to extract this powerful natural substance from the cell walls of baker’s yeast.

Donzis is a multi-millionaire who also holds the patents on several Adidas sports shoe designs for professional athletes, as well as the patents on the anti-terrorist flak jackets used by many police departments around the country.

I discovered that Donzis’ favorite charity is a group called The Sunshine Kids. These are children with severe forms of cancer.

It was his charity work with The Sunshine Kids which led Donzis to study Beta-1,3/1,6-glucan. What he found through the clinical studies he helped fund at Tulane Medical University was that Beta-1,3/1,6 Glucan boosts the human immune system dramatically, so much so that kids with cancer could take it before undergoing radiation therapy, and the radiation therapy would not severely damage their immune system!

Previous to this discovery, excessive immune system damage from the radiation treatment was a “given” when treating children with cancer.

To make a long story short, I began taking the Beta-1,3/1,6-glucan capsules, along with the colloidal silver, D-Ribose and Pregnenolone supplements mentioned above.

And once again I had immediate dramatic results.

Apparently my immune system had never quite recovered from the years of suffering with chronic fatigue syndrome, even though my metabolism and energy production was doing much better thanks to the other supplements.

Within the first 24 hours I could tell that the Beta-1,3/1,6-glucan was the key I’d been looking for to achieve that final 20%-30% recovery that had eluded me.

As you can see Steve had quite a dramatic improvement. I can't say I ever found another story like this and I am pretty confident now that depending on what subset people are in this protocol simply will not work for many.

We originally had 8 or 9 people from PR do the protocol (I haven't included anyone else because Josh seemed to include anyone with "PEM like symptoms" which didn't really mean they had PEM at all. Of those 8 or 9 only myself, an austrian and BrightCandle actually got any benefit out of it. Lots of others did but they had these vague fatigue like symptoms, no ME diagnosis and no CFS diagnosis. So again based on a very crude percentage it looks like another treatment that only works for 10 to 20% of ME patients.

But considering the sheer amount of mis diagnoses this illness produces, is that exactly surprising? Not really.

I have a spreadsheet with about 115 separate treatments, some from sources, some from PR and some are from doctors. I've tried about 35 of them. There are literally so many avenues of investigation you can go down with this illness to figure out what's wrong and almost all of them cost a fortune. One good thing about human disasters is that when they go on longer than a few days or weeks human beings are forced to come together - whether they like it or not - to figure out a way forward and that brings innovation. I believe we're going to witness something of a medical revolution in virology, because of the sheer numbers and dollar counts assigned to investigate immunology, virology and bio chemistry. I think if the wild goose chase of ME diagnosis, mis diagnosis and "new treatments" gives people no hope, maybe the pandemic can.
Reactions: Mariaba and Judee

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
godlovesatrier
Read time
4 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from godlovesatrier

• Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Covid Day 59
    After herxing a lot yesterday taking 250mcg of kpv for a bad head cold...
  • Covid day 56
    I started to feel better around day 40, lactoferrin 900mg a day...
  • Covid update
    Lung pain has definitely gone since taking two 5mg hydrocortisone doses...
  • Covid day 39
    I've got air hunger now which I haven't had for about two or three...