• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural Anti-inflammatory - turmeric/curcumin

One of natures strongest anti-inflammatory plants, Turmeric, is a bright yellowish-green spice that comes from a root. It is used in traditional Indian and Asian dishes and also has a few powerful health benefits. If you've ever seen a natural supplement called curcumin, that is actually derived from turmeric.

Turmeric has a special chemical compound called curcuminoids that are some of natures most powerful antioxidants. The supplement called curcumin is a more potent pain reliever because they have extracted the curcuminoids and made them into a supplement.

Turmeric , powder form is used to make a topical compress for muscle strains and injuries. Water is mixed with the ground spice to make a paste and is covered with a cloth that is soaked in hot water. It is also important to note that curcumin is absorbed better by the body if you combine it with black pepper.
Caution: This root has been used for dying clothes , so just a word of warning, it does stain anything it touches !

Curcumin supplements are also being studied for their effectiveness on cancer . Inflammation has been known to be the beginning stages that can cause cancer and because turmeric is such a strong anti-inflammatory agent it can help reduce the risk of cancer.

Chronic inflammation stresses and ages the body. When the body is inflammed there are free radicals that steal from healthy skin cells trying to stabilize. This causes wrinklles and decreases the ability of the brain to function properly. Studies are showing curcumin to be as effective as pharmaceutical drugs that are marked as anti-inflammatory remedies. The added benefit is there will not be harmful side effects to consuming turmeric as with other drugs that are non-organic compounds.

Believe it or not, turmeric has been found to help reduce and prevent Alzheimer's. Other brain disorders can improve or be prevented as well with this supplement. Depression is one condition that is dependent on the chemistry of the body. Turmeric has been shown in scientific studies to have as powerful an effect as anti-depressants. The reason that turmeric helps boost the mood is that it releases the hormones in the brain that make us feel good --- dopamine and serotonin.

Turmeric is a root that allows the blood to flow better by improving the health of the blood vessles and this can reduce heart attacks. Heart disease can be caused by inflammation and poor blood circulation, Turmeric lowers the risk by improving the health of the blood vessels and this can reduce heart attacks.

Arthritis is inflammation to an extreme degree as it causes pain in the joints and muscles. Turmeric is a healing root that will help calm the inflammation that causes joint pain. Results will not be instantaneous, but results are already proven to be more effective than anti-inflammatory drugs that have undesireable side effects.

Inflammation causes oxidative stress in the body which causes age spots and wrinkles, If you look healthy then chances are you're going to be healthy on the inside and have great energy levels as well.

Give natural a try!
Reactions: hellytheelephant

Comments

Great article...and timely for me, as I have been trying to research using Turmeric. I have tried adding it to ginger tea but it has quite a strong taste!

@hellytheelephant Thanks for reading, thought I would take the easy method and use supplements .

FWIW, several family members have reported sleeping much better since taking Jarrow Curcumin 95 - C3 Complex . Note of caution, the bottle reads: If you have a medical condition, are pregnant, lactating, trying to conceive, under the age of 18, or taking medications, consult your healthcare professional before using this product.
Curcumin 95 is a concentrate of 95 % curcuminoids, which are powerful antioxidants found in the spice turmeric root. Specifically, curcumin and its derivatives help support antioxidant status and help minimize oxidative stress . Have you had any experience with curcumin ?

Blog entry information

Author
seunderwood
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from seunderwood