• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Naming for Framing / Robbing Williams / Tan Stands / The Fall Guy

It's Saturday night and I am laying in bed… well, I am always laying in bed… and I'm listening to a jazz pianist named Joanne Brackeen. And she's darned good, performing lively and often complex compositions.

What follows are responses to the questions and inquiries culled from the comment section of my most recent blog entry. Thank you kindly for participating!

@lenora : Since you're using names of some of my faves, I'll have to ask why one of your incognito's (or whatever)wasn't named Mork? I truly miss Robin Williams as no one could make me laugh the way he could.

I did think about utilizing character names from TV shows, or movies or some such, but I'm not much of a viewer myself. And I didn't want to strain my brain. But yes, Robin Williams was ridiculously funny, and definitely an influence on my nine-year-old self… a person who religiously watched Mork and Mindy. And get this, my pet parakeet was actually named after Mork from Ork.

Lenora: You gather friends like the library used to stamp the cards from the backs of books. Remember the old Dewey System?

It is indeed rather strange, the number of people with whom I now associate with on a daily basis. Nighttime can be a bit slow, depending upon who's working and who wants to come hang out in my room. Being in lockdown, as we still are, is sometimes limiting.

And yes, I remember library books being stamped .. in the front, in the back, and sometimes sideways. Although, I didn't really do the library thing. Or have all that many books growing up. I didn't understand that I was able to go to the library, and check out any book that interested me. In many ways, I was a very slow (and probably confused) child in many regards.

Speaking of characters... The people here know each of you based on the location from which you reside. Texas Woman. Indiana Girl. The New Mexican Neighbor. The California Crew. People of the Overseas. The Massachusetts Marauders. The Oconomowoc Eight. Etc.

@Rufous McKinney : Do you have a room to yourself at present?

Yes, I am still alone in my room. One of my people here even rearranged the furniture, making my room seem very much larger. But it's inevitable that they place someone else in here. Probably after we are taken off of restrictions. I've already halfway offered that I would work for my room and board, to keep myself in a solo situation.

Having this room all to myself makes every day amazing. The pressure is off. The sound is minimal. The door is shut. I can relax. I can sleep. I can hear the sound of my own respiration. Heck, I can probably hear the sound of my perspiration if I really focused intensely!

When they do eventually put someone in here with me, I'm hoping they're unresponsive, deaf, or in the least, uninterested in television.

Rufous: yes, please document this tan!

is it only on one side, or do you rotisserie?

Is the hair getting lighter?

The continuing suntan is not just on one side. However, there are major gaps. Places where pale and tan meet. Often. Probably too much contrast. But nobody says anything. At least, not to me directly! Lol

Where I am bandaged on the front left side is plain white. But of course, I'm always bandaged, so I'm the only person that sees beneath the wrap.

And then I am able to twist and turn certain ways on my outdoor Geri Chair. And now that I am slightly improving, I can have my limbs hanging off either side, sort of dangling down towards the ground. I can do this without much difficulty.

So as you might suspect, sometimes my head goes towards the West, and on other days, I move to the opposite side of the courtyard and face the opposite direction. Head East. Just like the name of that old 70's band you used to know and love.

Also, sunscreen must always be applied to my nose. Even when I sleep, my nose tends to burn from the 25-watt nightlight bulb a healthy dozen meters away. So yes, there's that!

Rufous: With time, tracking Mandy versus Mindy, should get easier for the reader!

And I apologize regarding the naming conventions. It's just that I'm getting deeper into personal things with real life individuals, and I do not wish to expose them to the elements in any certain way. So I'm sort of testing the waters... determining whether or not this type of writing can work.

I even discussed this particular issue with a psychologist today. She's the wife of a husband who is temporarily staying here. A rehab guy. Anyway, we spent about an hour discussing this and that, and she was encouraging me to follow suit, detailing my individual relationships (with each of these people) in a blog formatting.

I'll have to think about this. Shocker. Right?

@christiankatz: I was concerned the virus might worsen your ME, but you sound so good, so that concern was unfounded, yay!

Right. No long-term side effects so far, besides the weird blood pressure fluctuations. Energy is good!

As an example, I can sit up, reach forward, and pull my shutters closed. The ones towards the far end of the bed. So, not crazy improvements, but I am getting better overall.

@Judee : I'm super glad you're feeling better. :) (avatar update???)

Avatar update? Well, I hadn't even thought of that. The one I have now is from last summer. But perhaps I shall. Although, wouldn't that be confusing for other members?

I always notice avatars first, rather than the names affixed. But perhaps word recognition is easier for other humans. I suppose I am more picture friendly than most! LOL

Judee: Are you doing a blog of us for the nursing home folks too? a writing double-agent.

Not so coincidentally, it's been suggested that I contribute to the newsletter here at the facility, to Jazz Things Up. And if I do well, perhaps they can cut me a paycheck. Would $20 a week be a reasonable ask?

With that kind of loot, I could purchase my own applesauce. Luckily, I have that applesauce connection here, the woman who lives in Room 222. Let's call her Jillian.

@Tammy : Your coloring is sooooooo much better Howard ............ compared to your Avatar selfie

I had forgotten about my translucent skin color in the Avatar, but yes, my skin does look a wee bit different now. I suppose six years living in relative darkness does that to a fellow. LOL

@lenora : Why am I not surprised that you like black? The music was a major tip-off, I guess. I could get one of those scarves to wear as a headband...look like a biker chick, huh?

Why are you assuming that I like to wear the color black? After all, you purchased these clothing items for me! It's not like I have a choice! LOL

To be clear, my former wardrobe had all kinds of variety, differing shades of black… not just your run of the mill blackness. And I think the biker chick thing is feasible, I truly think you could pull it off. I mean really, you've just got to sit there and pretend that nothing hurts all that much. Okay. Realistically, we may have to postpone! I no longer have a driver's license. Or any form of ID. Everything got lost halfway between here and there. :)

Apocalyptic Sundays

Yes, @Rufous McKinney , there's a huge void of employee participation on Sundays. They do not pay time-and-a-half. Sundays are volunteer only. So perhaps that's the problem. They need to recruit volunteers who are capable of maintaining, and sustaining. Maintaining what? I'm not quite sure. As long as they roll me out into the courtyard, I'm satisfied. Although today, they were rather late rolling me back. Unfortunately there were too many negatively impactful outcomes out and strewn along the darkened hallways of this facility (apparently, no one knew how to turn the hallway lights back on today).

Two people fell. One hospitalized. The other? Recovered well enough to participate in 18 separate smoking breaks throughout the day. Mind you, 14 of the smoking breaks were illegal. Nope, they weren't pre-approved by The Hierarchy. That's right, the Hierarchy of Needs. Indeed. We need more Maslow here. All of us do. Worldwide. This planet misses him badly.

Sunday Night, Blown

The wind is acting up again, super strong from the Northeast. A strong pressure gradient. But I'm not curious enough to look at the maps for details right now. So there's a slight and occasional howling, accentuated by my window being cracked open ever so slightly. I need to feel that cool breeze funneling through my unwashed hair.

So I've got that going right now. Also related to weather, Mindy may be purchasing me an umbrella, something to protect me from The Sun. That's what she tells me she's going to do. I think she feels badly after nearly blowing up one of the oxygenated residents here, on site. Jillian, my friend, no less. Mindy keeps lighting her lighter all over the damn place, and you just can't do that.

Weekend Hardships

I only had a blood pressure taken a scattered few times in the past three days… and only once in the past 30 hours. I have no idea if any CNA's were on duty last night, and I gave up on my feeding tube maintenance around half past midnight.

That's unusual (even for a Sunday), but halfway expected based upon the short-handedness we've experienced. In some cases, it was no handedness. Which may or may not have contributed to the half-dozen falls up and down the dimly lit hallways.

And just as I am writing this, the neighbor across the way fell hard. Yes, a loud crash. And he's hollering for help.

I called the front desk, they transferred me to the nurses station, nobody is picking up. I called again, same thing. So I tried to calling Nurse Station #2, no answer there either. When a guy is moaning and no longer calling out... that may be a bad sign.

It didn't take long, but CNA Betsy happened along. And the gentleman got picked up, and placed back into bed. His TV is now turned out loudly, quite loudly, everything is okay.

Anyway, it's just after shift change, so it's typically harder to get help right away. But this has been crazy the past few days, I'm telling you. Bodies falling left and right.

Planetary Gravity must be broken. It has to be. Or intensified. Something. Maybe solar flares.

I found out after the fact that there were actual "live" nurses at the nursing station. Apparently their response when I called was, "Oh, it's just Howard, don't worry about it."

The ONLY time I ever call the nurses station is when somebody falls down, basically, some type of emergency... or when I would like to be brought back inside from the courtyard (outdoors, in the early evening .. after having been left outside on my own all day, not requiring any help or assistance from anybody).

So ... what the f#ck?

And so you know, they now have my phone number on caller ID throughout the facility. I'll let you use your imagination, in regards to why that is.

So yeah, one of my favorite CNAs is on duty now. Things are going smoothly. Today. For me. But perhaps not for her, based on the early returns. But perhaps when the other residents are finished feeling neglected, they will simmer down.

In two hours I'll be outside, basking in the sunshine's mid morning glow, greeting staff as they pass on by, then eventually chatting with individuals employed, and those currently residing.

Take care,
Howard

20220205_073927_hdr_2_optimized.jpg

Comments

Plant in photo: A similar plant occupies a spot here, downstairs, near the big Resident Oak Tree. Thats some type of Juncus/ a rush.

Botany moment- think Dinosaur plants. Its just fun to look at a Juncus, or Cycad and think: a Dinosaur walked thru it. Even in a parking lot in North Phoenix.

My favorite place to notice a Cycad- literally a Dinosaur- is a particular gas station I used to frequent, back when I drove (and worked for a living)

That Oliver Sachs story thats so amazing, its about the Cycads, and this disorder that can affect one's brain, if you consume a cycad tea.

In medieval times, we used rushes alot. They were tossed all over the floors. Like straw and often used as wicks...you'd light up a bundle of Juncus.

I am a member of the California crew? Wow I have no idea mostly, who are the "other members"? Ok I can think of....two, no three...no five....oh FINE THEN. We could almost have a party. Catalina, anyone? 26 miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is awaiting for me. I'd be hanging over the railing, looking at the vibrant orange girabaldi, our state fish. yes, that would make me far happier,, than visiting the various t shirt shops.

- how do they not pay time and a half on Sundays? I was rich as a teenager, because of my job on Sunday- I'd make a whole ELEVEN DOLLARS that day. (and gas was 22 cents, rent 45$)

When it comes to weather updates, I mostly now just use Jackie-Shanti and Shadow Eagle Cam. Their tree is three counties away, but I experience a modified version of their Santa Ana breeze. Oh: 50 mile wind gusts are hitting Jackie-Shanti. A leaf here, floats past my window!

Two eggs, currently, very exciting, and compilation videos indicate Shadow is Quite the Male Provider and egg incubator. Jackie-Shanti came back, gave him a kiss. It was precious. Jackie-Shanti fought off ravens, dropping by. Using her giant wings, slapping them which is rather intimidating.

NEW QUESTION: do you play the piano? like with the ten fingers, read music?
just curious,....I was a kid that wanted to play piano but my mom said no.

And if I do well, perhaps they can cut me a paycheck. Would $20 a week be a reasonable ask?

I would think so but only if it won't hurt your disability application. It's a myth that working just part-time won't mess you up on that.

~~~
Can you move that picture up so that it covers that gaping hole in the screen? Aren't you concerned about critters getting in? Don't you guys have scorpions and lizards down there? Yikes.

Okay so maybe not a problem as many of your pictures seem to have that hungry hawk somewhere in them too.

aw, sending so much love to the falling residents :heart: thats really unfortunate. There have been many solar flares this week. Its like you knew.

every time a bell rings, an angel gets its wings.

Can you move that picture up so that it covers that gaping hole in the screen?

Okay, I was being a bit tired brain with this. I wasn't thinking about that picture being stuck to...glass. :cautious: All my mind was thinking was that the screen was the only thing between you and critters coming in. :redface:

Well, @Howard, the names you gave sound more like you're in a prison than elsewhere. Truly, are you sure you aren't in a gang situation? Maybe you do need a roommate for protection, or at least so that person will be the first they'll go after if they ever invade!

Well, I hate to say this but I never did watch Mork. The busy years, you know, but I discovered Robin Williams somewhat later myself. The face alone always made me smile and let's face it, he was either super high or really funny. Probably both. I watched him with my youngest daughter once and by the end of the performance we were out of breath from laughing so much. He crossed all age ranges.....! So that makes two of us who never actually saw the show that made him popular....or at least helped.

Too bad about your fallen comrades (and I sincerely mean that...having been a recent victim myself). How can we do so much damage to ourselves?

All things considered, Howard, the staff there sounds like it's pretty caring...a miracle in itself. Really, it seems they try hard and for the money they're paid, I wonder why they even show up for work....except the love of the job.

I'm so tired of waiting for my block of swiss cheese to heal....one side is especially reluctant and it hurts!! I'm not a baby, but combined with no sleep it's a not-so-heady mixture. Rod became alarmed when I actually started to cry last evening....this never happens, and I don't know why.

Again, I'm going to tout the benefits of Ace and its ice packs. Truly, one of the few things that consistently blocks pain (for at least a time) is an ice pack. Sounds awful, I know, but wrap it in a tea towel and I'm telling you that you're going to fall in love....you'll need more than one. I'm very territorial about where mine are....and always have back-ups in the freezer. Just don't overdo it, especially at first. Heat always leaves me like a pretzel, so do these at times, but after the thaw I can at least move again. I AM Pavlov's Dog!!

I'm getting my hair washed today....hopefully this is just before the lice invasion. Unfortunately my hair doesn't nicely curl or anything worthwhile....I avoid mirrors at the moment. Best advice I have to offer.

I agree with Judee....why is the hole not covered? Perhaps it's not insect weather in AZ, although if they're hanging around here all the time (and it's colder) one has to assume they're in your area. Very odd, Howard, especially since I'm sure the hanging (very nice) wouldn't mind doing double duty.

OK...Off to look at the mess my bedroom has become. Heavens, what a landscape!! No, Architectural Digest, Southern Living, or any of the mags that at least used to be, have been in contact with me. For a very good reason, I may add. Even the Salvation Army wouldn't be useful. Yours, Lenora.

Botany moment- think Dinosaur plants. Its just fun to look at a Juncus, or Cycad and think: a Dinosaur walked thru it.

Interesting. There's a great place for dinosaur tracks up near Tuba City, just west of there. The tracks were originally laid in water laden sand, which eventually settled and compressed into sandstone (I think that's how it works). Cool place. Just off the highway, too.

NEW QUESTION: do you play the piano? like with the ten fingers, read music?

Yes, I used to have the ability to play piano with all ten fingers... not particularly well, mind you. Even on my previous tablet, I could play the piano app with five fingers (not enough room for ten at a time!).

I took music lessons when I was 19 (two visits). And the guy was teaching me how to read notes. And I decided I didn't want to do that. So that's the extent of my music-reading/training knowledge. And formal lessons. My music reflects this lack of disciplined training and know how! LOL

Oh, and I may be able to do music again soon. Something is in the works. Maybe.

I would think so but only if it won't hurt your disability application. It's a myth that working just part-time won't mess you up on that.

I honestly do not think anyone would pay me to do anything. But thank you for the heads up. Perhaps instead I can sneak contraband in through the window screen. Having multiple screen holes and cuts gives me additional options!

And speaking of the holes in my screen, there are vague rumors going around here that I may be on drugs, and that I may already be importing drugs and paraphernalia into my room via the screen openings.

Hmmmm. Okay then. Yes. That's exactly what I'm doing!

But really, if I could do that, why would I be out of applesauce all the time? And what about chewing gum, why would I have people send me chewing gum from halfway across the country… when it could be snuck in through my screen holes? As best I can tell, dealing in contraband isn't really a thing here.

But yes, once it warms up I shall have my window open a large percentage of the time. Scorpions are definitely a threat. Those would be my biggest concern. They hurt. A lot. Don't want to go through that again. And the mosquitoes will be next on the agenda. Rattlers? Yeah, there may be some of those too. But I don't have what they want. Although bunny rabbits live in and around the facility.

And of course, another coincidental occurrence here at the old folks facility... The Social Services worker knocked on my door just as I finished writing that response, and she asked if my room needed any repairs or servicing. So I pointed to the screen, and she said, "Oh my, aren't you worried about scorpions?"

And I told her that I wasn't, until right then and there! So she apologized. But then I told her the real truth, "MOSQUITOES!"

Mosquitoes bad.

Keep them dang blasted mosquitoes away from Howard's bed.

So that takes care of that. :)

sending so much love to the falling residents

Yes, the residents do need love. But probably more so than that, trampolines. Next to their beds. Angled in such a way. :)

The problem is, it's difficult to keep residents in bed, when they don't want to be in bed, even though they shouldn't be getting out of bed.

Luckily, only one of these folks had to be transported.

It would figure there its something exciting around Tuba City.....

I took music lessons when I was 19 (two visits). And the guy was teaching me how to read notes. And I decided I didn't want to do that. So that's the extent of my music-reading/training knowledge. And formal lessons.

I did some minimal note reading on the guitar, during the wanna -be- a -Folk -Singer era. @Howard - You likely made sure not to incarnate during that era....

I pathetically needed my pieces of paper with lyrics and chords depicted there. Think Simon and Garfunkel, or Donavan.

so when I scored my $10 flute, a dream come true, I made sure no note reading took place. I could play any melody I could dream up. In any key.

The issue with playing by ear, is , you then can't read the notes of anything...So the professional Flute Instructor at the fancy University, with her "wooden" flute..(costing big $$$)could not get me to read those notes, I'd just think the song and out it comes. Playing by ear.

I was using that ten dollar flute, wonder what she thought about that (hindsight).

Years and years later, I bought the proper flute. Which turned black, as its silver, except I lived next to a sulpherous hot spring. Black as night, my silver flute I can no longer play, with out literally passing out, fainting or both.

But yes, once it warms up I shall have my window open a large percentage of the time. Scorpions are definitely a threat. Those would be my biggest concern

nobody gets away with comments about the biologicals! Without Rufous weighs in.

Maybe I don' t live in the desert around there. Maybe your scorpions are into hiking up walls, clambering thru broken screens.

But thats not really a scorpion Modus Operandi.

Yet I did meet this little charming House Centipede, right here on my wall to wall on the second floor. Uh oh....my expertise is waning. Centipede managed to find the place...

Normal scorpions on the desert are largely active at night, and exist to crawl underneath something by daylight.

Of course, lacking maps, such incursions are random. Hence mosquito is the most likely visitor to randomly bop thru the gap.

Now I had this bat who found the Gap in my screen. I was telling somebody about my bat, who would fly in, cruise around, check it out, go downstairs do the same thing- then leave the way it came- well as I was telling her that bat had not been around, in like a year- it showed up again an hour later.

the names you gave sound more like you're in a prison than elsewhere. Truly, are you sure you aren't in a gang situation?

That's kind of funny, because I've written up (but not posted) several prison analogies since I've been here. Some may even be clever. But really, this isn't a prison. Am I a prisoner? Yes. But some of the guards are quite lovely (and loving), and mostly caring.

I'm sure it's difficult not being able to move around… much less experiencing the pain. But congratulations on your upcoming shower related activities. Parts of me are going to be cleaned today. I've been strictly running Self Babywipe Bath Actions since I've been over in the Covid Wing. Except that Rosa washed and scrubbed my hair with some weird contraption wrapped around my brain.

Normal scorpions on the desert are largely active at night, and exist to crawl underneath something by daylight.

Of course, lacking maps, such incursions are random. Hence mosquito is the most likely visitor to randomly bop thru the gap.

The scorpions here are often found hugging the walls, entering domiciles up-and-under through the eave openings (attic vents). I was even talking to my son on a video call a couple years ago, a scorpion fell off the wall and landed on his pillow right next to him. Of course his home is located in close proximity to the open desert. My current locale is adjacent to open land on three sides. So probably there are many scorpions out and about. My former residence was more safely ensconced within a neighborhood setting.

But really, it's mosquitoes! That's the main threat. You are correct.

Cool flute story. :)

Good Morning, @Howard.....Truly, you must do something about that screen. Look at the flapping it's causing around the Forum. Rightly so, folks. This man shouldn't be sleeping with scorpions, bats or mosquitoes....where's the repair dept.? Or simply someone with a needle, thread and a bit of screening? Personally I rather like that homemade repair look.

Re: The gang situation there. Are you trying to stage a 'Black Is the Newest Black' or something? (My spelling is way off today....or has it always been that way?)

Those darned mosquitoes, although @Nord Wolf assures me that they do have a purpose in the world...as food for other insects. I hope he's right b/c if not they're definitely one of the Good Lord's failures. Exactly what purpose do they serve? And why? Food, well that explains a lot so we'll stick with that for a time.

The shower was successful, but as I told someone....by the time I put on my sprays, lotions, liniments and ointments I'm back to smelling as bad as I did before the great unwashed actually washed. Yes, I did beat the lice to my hair and while my tresses aren't exactly silken, they are clean and holding their own. And today, I'm crippled all over again....and isn't this how it goes?

Stiff upper lip everyone...and all the rest of it. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:
The scorpions here are often found hugging the walls, entering domiciles up-and-under through the eave openings (attic vents). I was even talking to my son on a video call a couple years ago, a scorpion fell off the wall and landed on his pillow right next to him.

Ok, definately I will put scorpions back on the list of possible worries.

I was often dealing with bats and ecologically, well one of our local bats enjoys dining on scorpions and Jerusalem crickets, and this bat finds these treats underneath the freeway overpasses inside these cement crevices.

Since bats are very important, we design the freeways to continue to have bat roosting locations.

Sharing this frustration that 1000s of photographs I took are locked away in a drive which won't open, a form of personal tragedy.

And in those photos are shots others took, of the heads of Jerusalem crickets, and the tails of scorpions, left after the bats consumed the rest.

Oh: and the bats walk, hike over to the spot where they find these morsels to dine on. Not all bats dine on the wing.

But yes: in the tropics- that Scorpion is going to be up on the roof of your Grass Hut and you better watch out.

Chaga: we can worry about that too. From a certain stink bug....

I was frequently having to repair my own screens, as my landlord was never going to. The holes in my screen often originated from Rodentia attempting to break in.

I know its hard to shop. But I simply had some screen randomly lying around and they invented DUCT TAPE thats clear. So I'd DUCT TAPE outside, then inside.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
8 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard