Continued from:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Part 7

We finished eating and I was fairly disgusted with Mac and Jenny at that point. They had spent about 20 minutes talking down Libby and how she should have never been with us and what was she thinking feeling she could climb the mountain, and all sorts of other gossiping trash. Instead of enjoying the time we had on top of Baxter peak in coming night, they chose to bash Libby for getting injured.

Carla and I sat a bit to the side talking lightly and mainly enjoying the energy of the mountain and the change of day to night before our eyes. I thought about my wife and son and how I would not be making it back tonight and there was no way of contacting them to tell them why I would not be returning. So before we all left the peak I moved to the side and took a moment to connect with my wife and tell her I would not be home until tomorrow, but that all was fine. I had done this many times before and so I knew she would hear me.

Finished with our food, we were ready to navigate the mountain in the darkness back down to Chimney Pond. Carla had a flashlight and I had one as well, but mine had broken in all the back and forth traversing of the day. It was the bulb that had stressed and burned out. Carla decided to lead the way since she had the only light. So we started descending the peak as the stars shone above and the wind blew. We had over 2.5 miles back to the rangers station with a 2,346 feet elevation drop, and another 3 or more back to the car.

Before too long Mac and Jenny, being as juvenile and impatient as they were, started passing Carla saying they just could not walk so slowly. For some reason, Carla actually gave Mac her light so that he could take the lead. Well, that was a mistake because before long, Mac and Jenny had taken off ahead and soon were out of sight with the only light. Never stopping, never waiting they just took off. Carla and I were left in the mountain in the dark.

I contained my anger because Carla was concerned. She had only been on the mountain once before, she was exhausted and it was a long way back down with no light. Carla said she could not call the station because after the airlift they had signed off the air. We stood a moment and I told her not to worry because I would get us off the mountain and back to the ranger station. She asked me how since I had never been on that trail before and we had no light. She was also concerned that I would leave her like Mac and Jenny did. I smiled and said, “Don’t worry; I have done this kind of thing many times before.” I told her a little bit about my training under the tutor of my Native American mentor, and mentioned my spec-op and sf training. I told her that we would take our time and move to her pace and that I would not leave her. It was a promise. She said that she would trust me and that was that, she did.

I closed my eyes let my training return, training under my childhood Native American mentor, advanced martial arts training and that of the spec ops and SF training. The mountain no longer existed; neither did Carla, the sky or the wind. It was all one. I was one, but dissolved of individuality into the whole. I started step by step, breath by breath; beat of heart and connection of spirit, I walked. It is the same as being blindfolded and fighting of multiple attackers. It is the same as experienced Scouts of Native Americans. It isn’t “magic”, its utilizing all our senses as one to replace one that is temporary hindered.

It was full dark, but since we had no light our eyes adjusted well enough above tree-line. We could see just enough to slowly navigate the rustic rocky trail.

I kept getting flashes of Jenny on the trail ahead. I kept seeing her knees giving out and her energy was dropping. She was exhausted and her body was telling her. They were halfway down through the forest on the steep trail. I continued to see occasional flash images in my mind of them far ahead. Carla was lost in her mind, home and her own states of extreme tiredness. I knew my wife was reading to our son inside the houseboat by candle light, and knew she understood I would not be returning until tomorrow. Though it was windy on the mountain, the knew the lake was calm and in my mind I could hear the loons singing in the darkness.

After a time we passed a wooden sign post marking the Appalachian Trail and a trail moving southwest. Continuing for a while more, we reached tree line and a trail descending to the east. We took it, and started downward through ancient forests that sung songs of such deep power and primal life-force. It made my skin tingle.

It was dark in the forest, really dark. I had wadded up mosses and bark and wrapped them on branches. Using a lighter I created short-lived torches for for a while down the steep trail.

Halfway down through the forest, the waning moon rose in the east and began to shed some dim light upon the trail. It was enough to where I could start communicating with Carla. We began to converse and she wanted nothing more than to hear more about my wilderness training and how I was able to do the things she witnessed. So I obliged and we spoke on such matters all the way to the cabin.

By the time we arrived, the ranger was ready to throw Mac and Jenny out and back on the three mile trail to the car in the dark. Jenny’s knees had swollen and she was done; exhausted and in pain. She could no longer manage the trail and the ranger wanted to send her packing. Mac was telling the ranger that he and Wolf could manage the trail easily enough, but they might be sending out another rescue party for Jenny. The ranger was adamant.

Carla spoke up and said that we would be welcome to stay the night in her work cabin until morning, and she would take full responsibility for us. The ranger looked surprised, but agreed and said so long as we were on the trail at dawn. The guy was a pompous ass. Mac managed to call Joe, the guy with the motor boat and explained the situation and that someone should inform my wife as soon as possible. I told him it was ok because she already knew. He looked at me with surprise, but he also had seen me work things that he could not explain with his limited perception.

We went over to Carla’s cabin and the work crew had leftover steak and rice that they gave to us to eat. We slept a short while in old bunks and awoke, packed up and hit the trail by sunrise.

Jenny struggled down to the car, but we took it slowly and all went well. We packed up the car and drove all the way back to the lake parking area. Of course, we swung into Millinocket and got some ice-cream. Joe had contacted another friend of the lake, Kip, who had another boat. He had driven out to the houseboat first thing that morning to inform my wife what was going on. Kip met us at the lake. He said he drove out to the boat in early morning, but when he started to tell my wife what happened, she said she already knew. He shook his head and said he’d never figure out half this world. Then he drove me back to the houseboat, dropped me off and returned to town.

I explained the whole story to my wife as our son played around the boat. She said she was never concerned and that she knew everything was alright and that I would be back today. She had heard and felt me the night before when I was still on the mountain.

Libby got out of the hospital that afternoon and returned my coat a few days later. The doctor said she had torn something in her knee and she would need surgery, but Libby was a very powerful person. With her mind she healed herself in a week, returned to the doctor for tests and the doctor said he had never seen anything like it before, her knee was healed. Libby told us all afterward that she actually knew one of the rescue guys in the chopper from school years before. He had flown rescue missions all over the world with the military and he told her that the air-lift he partook in to get her off the top of Katahdin was the most difficult he had ever encountered. He said to Libby there was a time during the rescue that he did not think they would be able to pull it off because of the danger level. He said the wind gusts were so strong at that elevation that a few times the chopper almost got knocked out of the sky.

My life is one long adventure, as is everyone’s in their own right, and soon I would be off on another.

(The names of those involved have been changed to protect their privacy.)

A few necessities for the best chances to make it through adverse conditions:
  • Control of emotions
  • Control of mind/thoughts
  • Assessment
    • of self
    • of surroundings
    • of skill sets and abilities
    • self and others
    • of available tools
    • of limitations
  • Ingenuity
  • Pacing

The End.

If you enjoyed that story you might like to hear there are more to come. True adventures like:

• Adventure on Satan’s Slab
  • Elk Tooth Trek
  • Monsoon Trek
  • Viper Evasion
  • Wilderness Dog Rescue
  • Life or Death in the Rain
  • Viking in a Kayak
  • and more…

Katahdin.png

Comments

These will be exciting to follow! Thanks for sharing your stories with us. Thats really interesting about your training with the Native American where you kinda absolve into oneness to venture through such times. Really fascinating.

What a great surprise to see part 7 posted. This was an amazing adventure, and of course, I was hoping there would be more. I'm excited to see there's more to come, yay! If this were a screenplay, I'd have to see the movie. Thanks again, @Nord Wolf.

Hello @Nord Wolf....I join the others in enjoying your adventures. At what age did you start training with the Indians....and how did it come to be ? (Understood that privacy reigns...if you don't want to answer a question, please don't.)

I studied (my thing) the Indians of the Southwest about 3 years ago. A whole summer was spent doing this....and they were a rather endangered species b/c of the buffalo slaughters and not wanting to move into other methods, such as farming. On the other hand, they were wonderful horsemen and the history of both the invaders and those already here were fascinating. Not many good guys on either side, but then I should probably continue reading other books...not stories, but true events that have been documented. I find that interesting.

At what stage did you and your wife develop this type of "hearing." There is so much to learn in the world....why people can complain of boredom is totally beyond me. I've always told my grandchildren to always keep learning....too much out there that we don't know.

OK....taken up too much time and space on the blog. Have you contacted Howard yet? He had Omicron, is in a nursing home and is also a good writer (no pressure there, Howard).:) Yours, Lenora.

Thats really interesting about your training with the Native American where you kinda absolve into oneness to venture through such times.
It is actually an ability every human has, but simply remains undeveloped in most people living in the "modern" side of life within industrialized nations. It was common place in the pre-technologic indigenous cultures world-wide.

At what age did you start training with the Indians....and how did it come to be ? (Understood that privacy reigns...if you don't want to answer a question, please don't.)
I was introduced to my Native American mentor, his best friend who was a Medicine Man, and a few other members of his family when I was 10 winters. My mentor was 86 winters when I met him. And point in fact - he found me...;)
At what stage did you and your wife develop this type of "hearing." There is so much to learn in the world....why people can complain of boredom is totally beyond me. I've always told my grandchildren to always keep learning....too much out there that we don't know.
We noticed that ability with each other within the first few weeks of meeting. It wasn't something we had to go looking for or "learn", it just happened.
Boredom - yes that is something I have very little experience with!
Have you contacted Howard yet?
Not made contact yet, but am aware.

Blog entry information

Author
Nord Wolf
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Nord Wolf