• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lost in the Shuffle / Right Words / I See UVB

My window is cracked ever-so-slightly, so that I may hear the wind howling on through the desert shrubbery. The music I listen to compliments these natural sounds, via the specially chosen "Odd" mix emanating from my fully charged tablet, perched on the windows recess to my immediate right.

With my increasing energy reserves I am now able to listen to music with greater frequency, even (and often) during the daylight hours. Listening to unintelligible lyrics helps out tremendously, no need to process definitions or meaning along the way. So, good for me, right?

Less Good

I spoke with the disability people (the people filing for my disability), and somehow they lost track of me. So now, the whole process has been started over from scratch. Wonderful, right? But these people suspect that within two months, or possibly six to eight months, I will be receiving some kind of something... Either $30 a month, or $120 a month… depending on factors not known. The rest of the money will be applied to my housing and other costs, perhaps including my warped sagging mattress. Although, it could be me that is sagging.

Wheels

It looks as though my motorized wheelchair request may not have been submitted either. So that's going to set things back an additional couple of months. Which may not matter so much. I rather enjoy being pushed around. No, not in a bullying sort of way, but having a dedicated CNA take me on tour through the facility is quite enjoyable.

Okay, really it's not a tour, it's just a push outside into the courtyard. And mostly it's me narrating, doing the play-by-play.. meeting and greeting other residents as we work our way down and through the corridors.

Words (uncaged thursday)

Yeah, I got totally socialized today (*earlier in the week). Multiple angles. The masses were curious as to how I'd made it outdoors… despite our Wing #1 being caught up in a total lockdown scenario. Code Red, no less. So I explained with exacting words not to be minced.

Really, it was simply all about me asking the nursing hierarchy, and them permitting. Or perhaps they were convinced by my desperate vitamin D plea. Indeed, I found additional evidence indicating additional things. You don't care. And really, you shouldn't. Unless you are a Vitamin D Aficionado of some sort (like me). But all indications indicate that muscle recovery (and getting rid of lactic acid) is greatly enhanced by elevated levels of vitamin D in and throughout the bloodstream, as well as the amounts found and stored within the human body.

Not Write

I think there's a reason why I am writing less in the past couple of weeks, beyond and besides the recent Covid Contagion. Someone close to me (yet, 1,836 miles away) suggested that my unwritten writing is likely due to my constantly being socialized now. And you know what? Crazily enough, that's likely true.

There are days where I am actively socially engaged for many hours consecutively. A soft parade of personable people seemingly lined up, or in the least, waiting in the wings. Yes, serious engagings.. sometimes deep diving bottom scraping events out of reason, aiming to suss out the truth. Other times, women's wardrobe attire, colors uncoordinated, or clash mastering in the name of individuality.

The conversations run the gamut. And mostly, I work towards finding common ground, seeing where these interesting others are coming from, and ..where they are going. I do my best not to impose my own perspective, and/or point of view, unless asked. I already know what I think. And after spending nearly six years locked inside my own brain, almost exclusively, I'm done with all of that.

So I keep wanting and wishing to write things, my continuing observations, but much of what's happening entails one-on-one interactions, personal things said, feelings emoted. So the rub is, how do I share these experiences in writing, via a blog effort. Right?

Each of us feels. Is it at all important that anyone and everyone knows how I feel about things? Perhaps it is. I don't know. But I don't suspect the people with whom I am directly and deeply interacting do not wish to have their feelings made known. So surely, that's an obstacle right there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am reassessing my aims, objectives, goals (or whatever the heck you call them). Anybody who's been following me around these parts, knows that I do this often. Introspection. Is that what it's called? Self-assessment?

Clothed

Thank you for the additional t-shirts, @lenora. I am now all Oranged Up! I hope you are progressing, and also hope the pain and suffering isn't unbearable. Stick with it!

Also, Angela is going to assist me next week (really, she's going to do everything herself) and put up some form of decorations / artwork in my room (from y'all). We have a plan, so that if I am to be moved to another room, everything can move along with me! We aren't going to wait until they permanently place me before livening this place up. :)

Take care of everybody,
Howard

20220129_152117_2_optimized.jpg

Comments

Hows your music coming on. Any new tunes?

Unfortunately, my tablet was accidentally drowned here at the facility. One of my friends bought me a new one, but the music recording studio application I used no longer exists. And, the Amazon Fire Tablet does not support any other music recording studio apps, so I am currently on Rock Star Hiatus!

I suspect I'll have options down the road (at some point). In the meantime, at least, I am having better success listening to music.. which helps fill that void. :)

Thanks for asking. Hope things are going well for you.

Hi@Howard.......It's good to read something from you.....kind if of back to normalcy (even if it really isn't.)

I understand there was a big game yesterday in the lead-up to the Super Bowl but, as per usual, we missed it. Sadly, so did our son-in-law as we were too rude to invite him to turn a TV on and watch it. It's really rather pathetic when it comes to sports around here....and somehow we managed to produce this super athletic daughter who doesn't think we're odd in the least, nor does her husband. Well, we do tend to keep them well fed and well-puzzled so I guess that helps. So we still don't know who won the big game yesterday....must remember to glance at the sports section in tomorrow's paper.

Aah, yes....bodily repair isn't exactly an olympic event around here either. I'm actually at that age where BAD FALLS can happen....let me tell you that you can be smartened up by having one of them, so do be careful. It won't be your mattress that will be sagging, it will truly be your body...and you'll know it!

No, I expect that I'll be around the house for the next few months; the next year...I refuse to let myself get depressed beyond that. It is not going to win...at least this round.

So you've decided that orange is your color, huh? You and the 2.2 million other citizens of Phoenix who are in love with the Phoenix Suns? Unfortunately you won't be standing out in a crowd...and that's unfortunate. At least you don't have to worry about a sunburn as that would be like wearing an upper body tattoo for approx. 2 wks. and it could really hurt. See, you're smart enough to know when to wear sunscreen....you do, don't you, Howard?

OK....I have no reason to think I'd be more comfy sitting on this chair than lying in bed....hurting is hurting. How do people come through car wrecks with multiple injuries, etc.? So I'm going to stop complaining and say that we're glad to have you back. Oh yes,.....so happy that you actually do have real friends who light up when they see you, spoil you with their attention (alas no homemade jam....see if you really want to get away from things, you go to a place where no one expects homemade anything. Good going!). Yours, Lenora.

Enjoyed this update! Lots of good things happening and it makes all of us happy to know about. I think most of us understand that real conversations are quite valuable to you (and most of us, largely deprived of them, otherwise). Go for it.

Great black and white image there. The bolts, holding down something big and heavy. The decaying sealant was triggering. This looks just like a feature no longer in existance at my incinerated place in the wilderness. Rust, decay- triggering. The decaying sealant was all over my roof, which I visited, often.

I seem to be a bit obsessing. I go down some rabbit hole, find something oddly interesting and just keep at somehow obsessing.

So I had to hear As You Said (Cream). I have to hear Jack Bruce's voice, periodically, and I can just sort of ignore Clapton. The look on Ginger Bakers face as he slams the drums, can't be ignored.

"Lets go back to where its clean...to see the sights that might have been"....

I have to attempt to find these remarkable notes, on my keyboard. I want to play these notes, again and again but I"m just plinking. Maybe someday I'll play this key board. by ear, like how I could play my flute, only now I can' t do that breathing. EGAD just pass out right now.

I cannot get over how profound this song is. Musically. Then the lyrics are also perfect.

So I found somebody posted the transcription of the actual notes and I"m standing (yes) in front of my TV screen reading the sheet music, and I can'/t get over 12/8 time. And I"m the person who can actually hear that sharp, that flat, unlike my tone deaf spouse and daughter. Yet I can't quite Hit the note, yet.

I had this thing, called Perfect Pitch yet even this is now elusive...

Did we decide cerulean is in fact the sky color there?

Sky shots are sure gorgeous when ever you send them! Sky here is not that blue, due to marine vapor.

Cerulean blue has a touch of yellow in it, giving it a slightly green quality.

here online is supposedly the pure pigment, a chemical. Now realize photographs also are never the true color of the world. Some of us use paint samples to specify flower color back when film was developed, since the photo you take of a flower never is correct.

For some reason, in the art world, cerulean skies are described as occurring in Italy.

1643660869858.png

in the art world, cerulean skies

I spent well over a year, gazing at water color instructional videos, the paints and brushes and paper all over my dining room table.

Was all that an illusion?

I will say its incredibly relaxing to watch people paint in watercolor...of course it also depends if they are chatting the whole time. I"m not looking for Bob Ross....

however, practising skies and clouds is a major watercolor pastime.

In the examples below, all mediocre, but OK (my daughter thinks they are great, fooled her, not an artist)...I literally was copying what somebody else was doing.

As soon as I have to think for myself, I get ME PEM from the art and its proven problematic to execute anything involving a plan.

None of those skies are using cerulean and the top right is a Pthalo blue...the rest are Ultramarine...Note the lousy photo, even when I adjusted the lighting...and took three shots...all blurry and now I"m reminded its hard for me to take photos, too!

I bought special lenses to take close ups...I put them on the phone camera...I...tried to stare thru those lenses, it was hard. I decided I don't take macro shots any longer, either (thats entirely what I used to take photos of- everything tiny and close up).

1643670199824.jpeg

Well, there she is, our Miss Obssessive....Rufous. Please, Rufous it's a gift that probably 80% of us don't/can't share and it's beautiful. @andy's right, they're all different and they're supposed to be different....but different can also be beautiful, just not what you had in mind for that particular moment.

I can't/don't/won't pretend to be an artist, but I get great joy out of seeing what other people can accomplish. For me, it's exactly as it should be because I had nothing else in mind.

You're good and I know how much time you put into your art this year. Just because it isn't your idea of perfect today, doesn't mean that it won't match it tomorrow.

That cerulean blue....I'm renaming it sky blue. Doesn't that take it down just a notch or two? Enjoy your gifts....whatever they are. They're special. Yours, L.

@Howard.....That piece of ship's metal is a window? OK, now that's carrying things a bit far & I'm going to volunteer Rod and his tool box to help make a non-musical repair to what's going on around there.

You'll like Rod, everyone does.....I'm not so sure he always likes me, but someone has to be strong in a relationship, right? Anyway, he loves walking around with his mismatched tool set and actually loves being greeted with the words that "the kitchen pipe isn't working." He'd also look good in a Sun's t-shirt but likes to travel light, so you have have to lend him one, Howard. Kind of make his day, especially since he cleans up the dirty work afterwards. I don't know what he can do about that window though....bolts??

Remember when a real man did this type of thing? Well, you can't find one anywhere now....I don't know what happend to them, all those sports channels I gather (Howard!). But we're action people....just a different type of action. Yours, Lenora.

Kind of make his day,

I "used to" be the person who fixes things. I get out the screw driver. I stare at the broken, the not working, I read the manual.

My Dad was all thumbs. So I sort of grew up with Dad isn't likely going to fix it. Somebody else will have to.

And often thats me.

A vocational test I took at 13 indicated I was to be a mechanic .

Well, there she is, our Miss Obssessive....Rufous

Yes I certainly have my moments......obsessing.

The art project languishing, has a Santa Cruz toad outlined on the paper. Instead of drawing the toad (from a photo I liked)...I decided to TRACE IT.

This is appalling CHEATING.

But it seems, some of the famous ones, also projected and traced.

Note: My first ever girlfriend and my last (and only wife person) share the same birthday, which was yesterday. The former I am still in contact with, having had a nice chat...

So you've decided that orange is your color, huh? You and the 2.2 million other citizens of Phoenix who are in love with the Phoenix Suns? Unfortunately you won't be standing out in a crowd..

Actually, I do stand out here at the old folks home, wearing my orange T-shirt. Most of the residents wear Arizona Diamondbacks or Arizona Cardinals apparel. I am fairly certain these clothing items are donated, as they're outdated or wrong-sized, or something. And I believe that's how I got my Diamondbacks hat for Christmas. Which, surprisingly, fits my big fat head!

See, you're smart enough to know when to wear sunscreen....you do, don't you, Howard?

And of course, I am no longer being sunburned. It's been roughly, the past three months out in the sun. So I'm super brown. And most importantly, Super Vitamin D saturated. Of course, I do apply sunscreen to certain areas. Everybody who passes through the courtyard believes I am just out there trying to get a groovy tan. How wrong they are!

No doubt about it, I'm sure the pain completely and totally sucks. As I understand it, the two best options are to mask the pain by redirecting one's focus, or intentionally focusing upon the pain, until it goes away… because theoretically, the idea of pain is to let the body know that something is wrong that needs to be paid attention to. So if you are intentionally paying attention to it, it could possibly go away. That works for me sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't.

Be Better. :)

I cannot get over how profound this song is. Musically. Then the lyrics are also perfect.

Re: Cream Song "As You Said"

Very different from most of their material, but I always found this to be quite an interesting song. The chord progression is quite interesting. Also, this song reminds me of material off of Led Zeppelin's underrated third album.

Did we decide cerulean is in fact the sky color there?

Cerulean blue is kind of an inside joke with me, but I feel that nominating its color as the official color of the Arizona sky works well. Blue with smatterings of dust elevated make for the color brightly.

And your cloud paintings are fantastic. I am wholly incapable of painting, coloring, water coloring, or any of those things.

If anything, though, clouds of the only thing I can kind of sort of draw. With tornadoes embedded, of course.

@lenora - TV sports

What's funny is that immediately prior to my becoming ill, I did not watch any television whatsoever. Heck, I've never even owned a television… always a girlfriend importing one of their own into my realm.

But yeah, really the only thing I've ever watched on television are those Suns basketball games, perhaps a Cardinals football game, and then occasionally some kind of earth science related show. The one in Australia where they search out gold in the desert terrain. Or another one where they hunt down meteorites and such. Storm Chasers, yep, I've watched those, too.

Clearly vagal stimulating. If one could sing like this

I am familiar with The HU. Interesting stuff. I like. And I actually have a song where I utilized the Tuvan throat-singing technique. I can actually get that vocal range going easily… although my technique likely pales in comparison.

Someday, if I get my tablet / computer / music issues resolved, I'll post the song on YouTube. I've played it for a few people, but those few people were dumbfounded, awestruck, or perhaps even... they just wanted to throw up. It's difficult to say. Definitely got a reaction out of it though. LOL

Hello @Howard.....Thanks for the words of pain avoidance advice...I'll happily take and use them.

Man, these pelvic fractures are tough & again, the fall wasn't that bad...according to me, that is. But 5 fractures plus another in the back? That's enough to put anyone in a pensive (at least) mood for a day or so.

I'll wait it out; the worst of course is the pain and then arthritis that follows healing.

How did you manage to luck out with a hat, too? Well dressed indeed, you're like a walking stoplight.

I have no idea what @Rufous McKinney is complaining about. Honestly, if I could draw anything that remotely resembled a cloud I'd think I was related to Michelangelo (of course he had plenty of practice on a ceiling, didn't he?) They're like people aren't they? You can tell at first glance what today's weather report is going to be....the mood, in other words. Let's just say that I'm more like the Atlantic than the Pacific Ocean at the moment. Actually, like you, Howard, I'm just fine....one learns, then learns again and so it goes.

You had a super nice birthday thanks to a lot of nice people who put themselves "out there" for you. (No, I wasn't one of them, but as you know, I did wish you a happy birthday....and so many more). Out of interest....who made that cake? Looks good. Yours Lenora.

How did you manage to luck out with a hat, too? Well dressed indeed, you're like a walking stoplight.

As winter finally sort if arrived, It's been rather chilly the past few days. But I do not exactly know wear all of the clothing came from specifically, just in a general way.

And yes, it was cool having a kind of real birthday happen. The balloons are still hanging in there, mostly. And I'm not sure which cake you are referencing, but if it was cake shaped it may have been a clothing article or a birthday card. Lol

Hang in there. And keep moving :)

Hi Howard.....Moving, yes moving I am although it seems like all of the bones are in the wrong place.

We've taken to listening to music and reading in the evenings....absolutely nothing on TV. We were never avid watchers, but this is ridiculous.

So the winter weather hit you, did it? We've had snow, ice, freezing rain....anything we may have been homesick for. The winds are awful, and somehow the major news story each day has become the weather. Has anyone else noticed that? News stories are on repeat, repeat and Putin is another repeat....perhaps most of life really is just an illusion. Anyway, we won't be going ice skating today. I suggest that that you forego the same!

Do you have a new roommate yet...you never say. In such a hurry to rush out and see Colleen's newest socks, aren't you?

I spend most of my time awake and I guess a courtyard would be good to have...a gathering place of sorts. As soon as winter ends, we'll be right back outside again....I hope. What will you do during the summer mos.? Or will you think about them then? Enjoy today.....I thought it was Sunday and Rod just told me it's Friday. Reliable, I'm not. Yours, Lenora.

Hi Tammy.....When I say TV I'm generally referring to Netflix or Amazon Prime. I tend to totally forget about the regular channels.

Good thought, though...although Xi's timing could have been better. I'll have to tune in...did see some of the fireworks and it looked sadly empty in some of the sections. Thanks for the idea. Yours, Lenora

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
4 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard