• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Know Your Magnesium (are you taking the wrong kind ?)

According to the American Chiropractic Society, an estimated 68 to 80 percent of the US population is deficient in the essential mineral magnesium. While our growing dependence on processed foods is partly responsible , the real reason is that ongoing soil erosion has significantly depleted the mineral content of our soil within the last century. Many fruits and vegetables no longer contain magnesium in adequate amounts, resulting in widespread deficiencies. Magnesium must be bound to another substance before it is adequately absorbed , magnesium supplements come in a number of different forms that provide different , or targeted benefits.
Some of the best forms are:

Magnesium citrate - is the most popular magnesium supplement , probably because it is inexpensive and easily absorbed. Citric acid is a mild laxitive. It is a good choice for those with rectal or colon problems, but unsuitable for those with loose bowels.

Magnesium taurate - is the best choice of magnesium for people with cardiovascular issues, it is known to prevent arrhythmias and guard the heart from damage caused by heart attacks. It is easily absorbed and contains no laxative properties.

Magnesium malate is a fantastic choice for people suffering from fatigue, since malic acid - a natural fruit acid present in most cells in the body - is a vital component of enzymes that play a key role in ATP synthesis and energy production. Magnesium malate is highly soluable.

Magnesium glucinate - is one of the most bioavailable and absorbable forms of magnesium and less likley to cause diarrhea. It is the safest for long-term deficiency.

Magnesium chloride - has an impressive absorption rate and is the best form of magnesium to take for detoxing the cells and tissues. Also, chloride aids kidney function and can boost a sluggish metabolism.

Magnesium Carbonate - is a bioavailable form of magnesium that actually turns into chloride when it mixes with hydrochloric acid in our stomach. It is a good choice for people suffering from indigestion and reflux, since it contains antacid properties.

Worse forms of magnesium :

Magnesium oxide - is non-chelated and possesses a poor absorption rate compared to those listed above.

Magnesium sulfate - also called Epsom salts, is a fantastic constipation aid BUT an unsafe source of dietary magnesium since over dosing is easy.

Magnesium glutamate and aspartate - Avoid these two forms completely. Glutamic acid and asparatic acid are componets of the dangerous artificial sweetner aspartame, and both of them become neurotoxic when bound to other amino acids.

Hello,
I am the mother of a daughter suffering (nearly 4 years now) from CFS. For the past 6 months I have been researching trying to find ways to help her cope with this disease. We have had some success, but who knows what will happen in the future. I read the forums to learn what people are dealing with, and try to find useful information to share. I enjoy the research and love writing, so I'm hoping it will benefit some of you on PR. Good luck to all of you !!!

Comments

Sorry I can't answer your question . Maybe if you post it on the forum page someone there could help you . Mention what type of magnesium you are taking and any other supplements or medications . Good luck to you !

Blog entry information

Author
seunderwood
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from seunderwood