• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hearing Appeals - Social Security Disability & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Most people lose their initial applications and reconsiderations. But guess what? You have now gotten all that out of the way! Now you can move on to the next step, the better step, the step where most people win!

Most people win their hearing appeals. Plus, there are a bunch of things you can do that will make you chances of winning even better.

:balloons:
Before Your Hearing

I like what disability lawyer Scott Davis says: "If you’re actually trying to win the case on the day of the hearing, you’re probably in trouble."

So true! You don't win your case the day of your hearing. You win it in the weeks, months, and years beforehand. If you are waiting for your hearing, now is the perfect time to make a difference.
  • It is recommended to try to get a lawyer to assist you with your hearing, if possible. You can hire a lawyer or you can hire a "non-attorney representative." They are both equally good. Your lawyer will not charge you anything now. They will receive a part of your backpay if your case is approved.
  • It is better to hire a lawyer as soon as possible. If you wait until your hearing date is near, it may be harder to find someone to take your case.
  • After you get a lawyer, it is great if you can continue to do as much as you are able to help your case. Some people think, "Now that I have a lawyer, everything will be taken care of and I don't have to do anything." Sometimes this turns out to be true. Not always. How much do you want to take the risk?
  • If you are working, it is often more difficult to get approved, but it is possible (as long as your earnings are under $1,130 per month).
At Your Hearing

Lucky for me, I do not have to write anything here. There are a million disability lawyers out there and they have all already written a million articles on this topic. Here are some great ones:
Four Ways To Speed Up Your Hearing Date

Scheduling a hearing usually takes one - two years. However, it is sometimes possible to get a faster hearing date.
  1. Contact Your Congressperson
  2. Request Dire Need
  3. Request On The Record
  4. Check this List and Make Sure Nothing Got Missed (terminal illness, military service, public safety, compassionate allowance)
If you do not have great medical records, a fast decision won't help you. If I were in this situation, I would let the decision be slow and use my time to create great medical records.

Reactions: Billt

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
KitCat
Read time
2 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from KitCat