• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From My Commonplace Book - 66

Bunch Grass # 37

by Robert Sund

The ranchers are selling their wheat early this year, not holding it over for a better price in the spring. Next year the government lifts restrictions on planting, and nobody is sure what will happen when wheat grows from "fencerow to fencerow." This morning another man has come out from the Grain Growers to help us out. John and I haven't time to cooper boxcars and handle trucks too.

At lunchtime, he takes his carpenter's apron off and sits on a grain door in the shade of a boxcar, resting before he eats. I go out to join him and notice a Bible resting on the ledge under the rear window of his car. He says he doesn't read it much, and because he is anxious not to appear narrowly Christian, I want to know more about him. He is sixty-five, about to retire; a lonely man, it seems. There is something unspoken in him. His eyes squint to keep out the bright sunlight falling now just where the boxcar's shadow stops. I say, "There's one thing in Mark that has puzzled me." He turns to face me, and I continue. "Where Jesus says to them that have shall be given, and from them who have not shall be taken away. That always seemed cruel to me, but since the verb hasn't got an object (have what? have not what?) if you supply an object, it's really alive. Love. Money. Intelligence. Curiosity. Anything."

In the bleached countryside of his mind suddenly a new season washes over; common plants begin to blossom. And now, ideas fly back and forth between us, like bees, their legs thickening with pollen.

In the next hour we talk a lot and I learn that he's been reading Rufus Jones, Meister Eckhart, and The Cloud of Unknowing. He nearly trembles with a new joy he kept hidden. His wife writes poetry, he tells me, and adds -- thrusting years recklessly aside -- "I've worked here sixteen years, one harvest to another. I've seen a lot of young men come and go, and never had a decent conversation. It's worse with the college kids. They don't think, most of them."

Trucks start coming in again, lunch is over. He puts his carpenter's apron on again, but before we part he invites me home to dinner this evening, careful not to spoil it by appearing as happy as he really is.

Back inside the elevator, I'd like to lie down somewhere in a cool, dark corner, and weep. What are people doing with their lives, what are they doing?

Born to Swede-Finn parents in Washington state, Robert Sund (American, 1929-2001) was adopted by Evart and Elsa Sund and grew up on the family farm, Swede Hill. At the University of Washington, he met the poet Theordore Roethke who encouraged him to give up the study of medicine to become a writer. In the summer of 1963, during which he worked in the wheat fields of Washington, he wrote in a notebook that became his first book of poetry, Bunch Grass.

Comments

Thank you dear Merry. I can always count on you for respite in the midst of a storm.

well always gonne have huge problem because the folks who wrote them used lanaguge far different than ours (this is a big issue also for Moslems hence huge project ot get the Quran back to what it was orignally and even then it was POETRY, not hard coded law)
then the books got translated, often wrongly or interpretted by the translator's ideas or worse, deliberatley changed to fit other folks' semands (see King James bible on that issue)
so what was the original words and intent?
and much of what the prophets spoke was parable, it isn't about simple literal truh, but many layers and possibilites ot make ya think
I know, off topic of your intent of post, sorry :)

and yes, so many folk so busy but not thinking or caring :(

And thank you, dear CJ.

And dear Silverblade. No need to apologize for what you have to say about the problem of interpreting ancient sacred texts. I appreciate the thought -- and heart -- you put into analysis of so many difficult problems. Quite obviously you read and think and care.

Merry
glad I didn't upset ya :)
folk have had wars, literal wars over "how many angels can dance on th ehead of a pin"
and fights over Biblical interpretations nto realizing that soemone may have mistranslated ancient greek to medieval latin etc.
The Beatitudes are one of the most amazing things ever written :)

Respite in a storm - and so say all of us too. Happy despite circumstances - Olay !.

Blog entry information

Author
Merry
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Merry