• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Electrolyte should have sugar - CFS Dr said

So I always wonder why when I buy the expensive electrolyte Pedialyte I do so much better, I do not crash and I have better overall performance.

When I do my own I always decline. My CFS Dr told me that I need some sugar in there and I forgot the qumical lecture that came with it but I wonder if that is why I can see the massive difference between No sugar Vs with Sugar electrolytes???

This my be unique to my situation, I am not sure.
Reactions: ahimsa and rosie26

Comments

Me too Inester7, I do better with a bit of sugar added. Sick people need sugar a bit more I always thought. But those with diabetes have to be careful.

I make a homemade version of Pedialyte which is cheaper. Not only do I save money, I also don't have to throw away all those plastic bottles which is bad for the environment. So it's a win-win.

You just need some potassium chloride (salt substitute) , salt (non-iodized is better), and some sugar source. I prefer powdered dextrose (aka, glucose) since that is easiest on the body. And I can add less than what Pedialtye uses. My recipe also has baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) in it. I can't remember why that is added.

There are lots of recipes out there (search for oral rehydration salts, ORS) but here's what I use:

3/8 tsp salt (sodium chloride)
1/4 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride)
1/2 tsp baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2 tbsp dextrose (aka, glucose)
add water to make one liter
optional - juice of 1/2 lemon or lime

Store pitcher in the refrigerator and drink within a day (don't keep it around).

Contains 70 mEq of sodium and 20 mEq of potassium per liter.

Best of luck to you!

PS. 2 Tbsp of dextrose has 30 calories. So my recipe is less sweet than Pedialtye. Even their clear, unflavored version has 100 calories. So they must use a lot more dextrose in their recipe. You could increase or decrease as desired.

Will try adding dextrose. I never added any sugar to my home brew. Also somethings upsets my stomach on my mix.

I think I read that if you get stomach upset you might try a different form of potassium, e.g., maybe potassium citrate? I just checked and it looks like that's what is in Pedialyte. ( Ingredients: Water, Dextrose; Less than 2% of: Potassium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid and Zinc Gluconate. )

I don't think potassium citrate powder is found in as many stores but I'm sure you could find it online.

Of course, the amount of elemental potassium in each of the different forms is different. So it's probably not a 1 to 1 substitution. But there are web sites out there that will help with the math.

Thanks to Inester7 and ahimsa because I just can't tolerate PowerAde and all the artificial ingredients. My dr says 2 liters a day.

hi,
I remember how thrilled I was when I discovered Pedialyte- so I know what you mean.
I've also made my own version too which is essentially healthier anyway. Yes it's true we need sugar to "pump up the volume", which of course with all the fungal issues that are rampant, causes a dilemma. I cut out white sugar years ago. Fruit is a source of sugar so I've tried just pouring a few measures of salt and potassium (no-salt) into a bottle of organic pomegranate or blueberry juice. It works. Actually tho I prefer organic coconut water which although
pricey --bout the same as Pedialyte...it is healthier in the long run. I would just like an IV saline solution which I did ask my doctor for a few years ago, but he said with a pick line In my arm all the time I'd just get infections too easily. umm, this sucks ;)

Blog entry information

Author
Seven7
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Seven7