• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dispositions / Pics Profiled / Invasion Farce

Dateline: Sunday Evening (I forgot to post in a timely fashion)

For nearly three hours today I was de-bloated. Flat stomach. Flat abdomen. Flat everything. And the strangest thing happening involved movement and noises, unfamiliar sounds pinging back and forth within my abdominal cavity. Gross sensations. Gross elations. Gurgling. Bubbling. Ricocheting randomness from side to side. Yes, out and out craziness.

But now it's 9:00 p.m., Sunday evening. And that sweet ship of comforting dispositions has sailed away, long gone and far away into the desperate night.

Really though, the pain ain't so bad in this moment. Oscillating. Intermittent. Palpitations. Heart skipping. The usual. And really, I'm just grateful for the earlier unusual. Perhaps that'll be a thing someday, once again… normal digestion and digestive processes.

What I need to do is recreate the circumstances leading into my glorious Day of Tummy Flat. What exactly did I do yesterday? What did I do last night? How was it that I slept so soundly? How was it that I woke up feeling somewhat energized, as opposed to feeling physically demolished? That's always the thing, how does one recreate a minor miracle? In most respects, it cannot be done.

And so it goes.

Interviews without a Vampire

So my favorite New Mexican asked me to disclose details involving the interactions I have with the people I meet along the trail to manifest destiny. Well, the bike trail. You know what I mean.

And in the past several days, I've met nobody new. Just a few friendly homeless people have chimed in now and again as I passed to and fro. But for some reason, especially today, I was mostly ignored by unfriendly passers by. And I'm almost wondering why. Perhaps I'm giving off that kind of vibe. Perhaps a vibe of desperation, or maybe, a sort of infiltration initiation. Like, they could sense that I'm going to x-ray them with my mind probe, or something like that.

So no, nothing on that front. And really, there's been a dearth of socialization. No one's having much use for me of late. Although I'm half hoping the New Betsy returns this week. She's a prize. A regular prize. With an irregular emotionally available disposition. So I guess we'll see what happens on that front.

Invaders

Oh, something frustrating happened this evening. I came back to my room and it was ransacked. Well, not ransacked in a ransacked kind of way, but many items were displaced. Keyboards. Ginger. Blanket. Plastic container. So I headed out to the nurses station and protested, complained, asked who the heck was in my room.

The response? Nobody had been in my room. That was what they said. Of course, they were wrong. So I went back to my room and looked for clues. And I found was massively incriminating. A huge clue that could not be ignored. In my trash can!

It was some kind of forearm wrist brace. Big and black. Leather straps. Some velcro. Fancy as heck. Not one of a kind, but not likely too many on hand either.

So it turns out we have a new dementia patient, and she really goes after it. Apparently. So I guess she was in my room for a while, no one saw her, she got bored with turning things upside down, closed my door and left. Losing track of dementia patients for an extended period of time isn't unusual… especially considering we're not a dementia unit.

Seeing as this dementia woman is kind of short in stature, I may have staff members put my valuables up high. My breakables. Things I don't want missing. Because my locker is pretty much full with the top of the line valuables. The computer related stuff. But there's really nothing I can do about any of these roving memory lost people. Maybe they'll watch her better now. Maybe I should stay in my room and guard my things.

Positive Approach

Also, we have 23 positive cases of covid-19 right now. Mostly in the back units, the lockdown units. Half of those are employees. So the parking lot was desolate today. Even for a Sunday. Plenty of parking spaces. Extra room to romp around.

I guess I'll wrap it up at this point. It's 9:20 p.m. and I need to go back into my room and start getting ready for bed. The nurse is newish, so she may not be able to tend to my needs in a timely fashion. That means I'll have to tend to myself.

I'm getting better at that, finding creative ways to squeeze myself into an undersized restroom in order to clean out my formula bag. In order to have success being a normal person someday (perhaps soon) living in the real world, I'll have to have access to a restroom that's wheelchair capable… and that will be quite difficult to attain.

Okay, I tried to find the smallest picture of myself that I could possibly post in this blog entry, yet also conveying the essence of my healthier looking disposition.

Also included are a few other images, pictures I have taken of late.

When I first arrived at the nursing home over a year and a half ago my hair was black, not anymore!

So pending approval, one of these images may be my brand new profile picture. Or maybe not.

Anyway, these are three recent selfies kinds of photos, you know, the kinds of photos people take of themselves to show other people how wonderful they look, right?

WARNING:

I don't know how to make the images smaller (I tried doing screenshots of the original images, but that technique failed) so you have to see my big fat head on your computer screens. Ugh

Screenshot_20230315-124253.jpg

Never mind, I got clever and figured out how to take a picture of a picture of a picture, so my face won't be plastered all over your laptop screen :)

IMG_20230315_142323.jpg

IMG_20230315_142339.jpg

Something to give you a sense of what I see with my eyes wide open.

Pedestrian Overpass: unoccupied

IMG_20230313_204533__01.jpg

Sparse Traffic

IMG_20230313_204239__01.jpg

Wrong Enter Way Not Due

IMG_20230313_204302__01.jpg

Arrow Stuck in a Heart Cloud

IMG_20230313_151249.jpg

The Trees that Please Us - been hanging at the park of late

IMG_20230313_145542__01__01.jpg

IMG_20230313_145542__01.jpg

Take care of yourselves,
Howard

Comments

“But for some reason, especially today, I was mostly ignored by unfriendly passers by. And I'm almost wondering why. Perhaps I'm giving off that kind of vibe. Perhaps a vibe of desperation, or maybe, a sort of infiltration initiation. Like, they could sense that I'm going to x-ray them with my mind probe, or something like that.”

In Norway, we ignore everybody. If someone doesn’t ignore you, you’re wondering why…you don’t want anyone to recognise your existence :D
We are rather shy.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cpkhc7HNq1_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

«Invaders»

yes, that might become a big problem.
My mother stole a lot, I had to go through her stuff every time and give the nurses the things that didn’t belong to her. Then it was up to them to find the original owner..

you can’t get a lockable, small closet of some kind? To put the most important stuff?

Portraits:
I vote for number 1 or 3.
Not the one with a thick jacket, I prefer your picture to be screaming summer !:cool:

I love nr 1, with one of the beautiful waking…whatever it’s called, and blue sky,
On the other hand, we are able to see your eyes at nr 3 and that’s nice as well, of course.

im eagerly waiting for the result of the voting :woot:

Last edited:
In Norway, we ignore everybody. If someone doesn’t ignore you, you’re wondering why…you don’t want anyone to recognise your existence :D
We are rather shy.

In a general way, we ignore each other here, as well. Everybody is a transplant from someplace else... mostly California and the Midwest. That's the excuse. Fewer common denominators, possibly

I tend to engage anyways, making people uncomfortable at times. :)

you can’t get a lockable, small closet of some kind?

Yes. I have a small locker now. It holds most things, besides my keyboards.

im eagerly waiting for the result of the voting :woot:

Haha! Yeah. Vital importance! Changing my profile pic might confuse others. Heck, it'll confuse me.

OK, Howard......it was possibly a racoon that was in your room. They're pests to get rid of, probably like your visitor.

Either picture is good for me. Your hair isn't black any longer b/c you left your dye at the apartment! Seriously though, it's called late middle age. Disillusioning isn't it? Suddenly we're no longer young, it happens. My daughters are going through the same thing.

I'm here with my white hair after years of dyeing it. Take my word.....it's not worth it, the gray's going to show anyway and you can save your money. Besides, you no longer know what your color was.

You're looking good, getting out and about and we'll hope the people are cold to you will thaw as summer arrives.

Glad that Betsy's due back....and I hope she's your nurse. She'll keep the intruder at bay. Stay warm and keep rollin'. Yours, Lenora

Hi Hufsamor....Today I needed and wanted humor and you supplied it. Thanks (in an effusive American way). It's odd the way that people of different nationalities behave. One must adapt a lot when travelling.

Yes, we Americans like eye contact and most of us are friendly. Perhaps it was living in such a huge, empty country that made seeing other people an exciting sight. I don't have the answer, but I smile a lot. I hope you're doing OK. Yours, Lenora

@Howard...I finally got to relax for five minutes and enjoy your latest update. and photo series.

Ok: what the heck color is your hair, in your opinion?

Clearly the sun has now lightened it back up again. (thats what I Need).

You are a total red head in Picture 2. And yes, sun lights up red hair. Inside mine is rather drab, outside it's still rather intense.

And if only Vigo Morgenstern needed a younger double, I swear you should be contacting his Hollywood agent...

Wrong Enter Way Not Due- says Howard

Way Wrong DEW Enter Not- responds Rufous

___

I wanted to share that my husband, now officially being billed to Long Term Care instead of Skilled Nursing, he is described by his Speech Therapist as: so cute, so sweet. She said she is helping him Pro Bono. I did not pay enough for my insurance, apparently.

My husband is a six foot version of a cross between Christopher Reeves and Tom Cruise, only blonder. Fortunately he was never into the body builder thing, his younger brother did that. Eats 18 eggs for breakfast.

My biggest concern is I Promised My Husband id' GET HIM out of there.

And there he still is.....

Your hair isn't black any longer b/c you left your dye at the apartment! Seriously though, it's called late middle age.

My hair is now a combination of the following:
Blonde
Brown
&
White

It was only colored black prior to this because I'd neither showered nor been outdoors in seven years - lol

My biggest concern is I Promised My Husband id' GET HIM out of there.

That's a tough one. Ideally he keeps himself entertained. And it sounds like he's able to do so. Having an audience helps.

Pro Bono or Sonny Bono? Take whichever comes easiest. Just stay away from Yoko Ono Bono.

Pro Bono or Sonny Bono? Take whichever comes easiest. Just stay away from Yoko Ono Bono.

do not coast into any downslope trees.......Ono Bono

Blonde
Brown
&
White

I was reviewing shades of brown recently (dye jobs mostly) and many caramels are housed under that label.

I like the combo look. I don't get why people want to hide their grey. It adds dramatic effects!

That's a tough one. Ideally he keeps himself entertained. And it sounds like he's able to do so. Having an audience helps.

Dreamt my husband was here, at home, sitting in his chair reading a news paper.

But he isn't .

He isn't reading. He listens to books on tape and was at the Movie Viewing yesterday, which seemed good. Participating and escaping his room.

He can go cruising in his chair, with the right arm not doing a great job keeping him from colliding with the walls....

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
4 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Howard