• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crossing Fingers for Monday

Hi Everyone,

My appointment for Monday is weighing heavily on my mind these past few days. This doctor is new to me and while my first appointment went well, relatively speaking, I'm not sure what the results of asking for such a script will be. Valcyte's not exactly an everyday type of drug!

Hopefully, they'll see the pleading in my eyes and I won't have to beg for the only drug that has worked in improving my general fatigue and PEM.

The past few days haven't been kind. Thursday, I saw a new-to-me cardiologist who was very nice and I think we might have a good working relationship patient-to-doctor, but I apparently shouldn't have taken a caffeine tablet an hour before my appointment! My blood pressure the first time was in the 170s systolic and the lying down repeat was in the 190s systolic... They did a final, triple averaged set before I left that went down to 155/100. Still much higher than my appointment on 2/8/19. Cripes, I had POTS just 5 years ago!

Friday was a horrible day at work - knew it was going to be. Had the most number of patients in over a year (I'm a peri-anesthesia RN these days). Had tried resting up for a few days beforehand to get ready, but it still sucked. Got about 80% of the way through my 6 hour shift and nearly collapsed with lack of muscle strength. Sat down in a chair to recover and reclined it as far as possible. Just one more clue that I"m slowly declining, unfortunately.

TL;DR -> Nervous about getting a script for Valcyte as things are getting worse.

Brent
Reactions: Wolfcub and Diwi9

Comments

Is "peri-anesthesia RN" another term for "PACU" or "Recovery Room" nurse? I'm an anesthesiologist, but I'd never actually heard that term used for the position. But yes, I'm impressed you can still do that job! It's a very busy one; the patients need constant attention, with frequent turnover. I hope you can either get better soon, or find a position that is easier on you. Overworking is not a good way to get better, unfortunately. If it were, I would be well by now! ;)

Is "peri-anesthesia RN" another term for "PACU" or "Recovery Room" nurse? I'm an anesthesiologist, but I'd never actually heard that term used for the position. But yes, I'm impressed you can still do that job! It's a very busy one; the patients need constant attention, with frequent turnover. I hope you can either get better soon, or find a position that is easier on you. Overworking is not a good way to get better, unfortunately. If it were, I would be well by now! ;)
Peri-anesthesia RN means that I do both Pre-Op and PACU. The facility that I work at has 2 ORs and 1 Procedure Room, so it isn’t as busy as many similar facilities. We’re still in the “beginning of the year” slump and will continue to increase our weekly cases as the year progresses. Hopefully by then, the valganciclovir shall have increased my reserves and the patient care won’t exhaust me overly much.

I should mention too that I’m about 70% paperwork / 30% patient care. I perform the credentialing for my facility and have several additional projects that keep my five 6 hour days busy.

Thanks for the comment, valentinelynx! 🙂❤️

Blog entry information

Author
ArgyrosfeniX
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from ArgyrosfeniX

• R3 / Day 35
    Hello Everyone, It's been an interesting time the past few weeks...
  • R3 / Day 19
    Hi Everyone, Things have improved some, but I can still induce PEM /...
  • R3 / Day 12
    Hi Everyone, This weekend was rather interesting. Got a handful of...
  • R3 / Day 9
    Hi All, Things are improving already. My wife told me 2 nights ago...
  • R3 / Day 6
    😁 Things seem to be improving some. Yesterday and today had a few...