• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nicotinamide Riboside and some thoughts about Antiherpetic drugs

I'm on my third day of testing an anti-aging supplement Nicotinamide Riboside (aka Niagen). It is one of the molecules that our bodies stop making in adulthood so that we can die off and make room for younger people. Yes, your body wants to kill you. This chemical is responsible for NAD+ which is involved in cellular metabolism so if you have less of it around your body loses some function. It was too expensive as a bottled supplement (and too high dose per capsule) and I was able to find it in bags from a Chinese source on Alibaba Express at about 1/10th the price so I purchased 100g to test (estimated 1 year supply but good for 2 years on the shelf life) for about $35. I'm using about 40 mg/day at two divided doses of 20 mg. It definitely gave me an energy boost, about 1 level on the ME scale from a 4 to a 5.

People were asking around the forum about antivirals so I did some research. Medicine basically says that they are only good if have an acute illness to shorten it or if you are severely immunocompromised, so it doesn't apply to me since my leukocyte count is normal. I believe the drug's mechanism is that it basically puts the viruses in stasis where they can't reproduce but since they still contain very potent antiapoptosis chemicals they are resistant to apoptosis and re-animate as soon as the drug is stopped. I've tried valtrex and valcyte myself with no ME improvement (though valtrex worked fine for shingles) so I'm not surprised.

“The efficacy of aciclovir is increased with early (preferably during the prodromal period) initiation of treatment but, despite significant clinical benefit, viral latency is not eradicated, and pretreatment frequencies of recurrence usually continue after episodic acute treatment is completed.”

(Wagstaff AJ, Faulds D, Goa KL. Aciclovir. A reappraisal of its antiviral activity, pharmacokinetic properties and therapeutic efficacy. Drugs. 1994;47(1):153-205. doi:10.2165/00003495-199447010-00009)

My current apoptosis promoting regimen that I'm testing has a work around for the apoptosis blockers which was a very tough problem for me to solve as there aren't many things that will unblock a blocked caspase 3 pathway. HSV6 is really good at evading the immune system.
Reactions: kewia and parth88

Comments

There's a post about an NAD poll. Lots of ppl shared there.

Thank you Hopeful. Here's the poll and discussion.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-genetic-repair-poll.57797/page-4#post-961763

I see there are some people seeing no difference. A confounding factor is that I take several other longevity replacement supplements (L-carnosine, ubiquinol, S-adenyl-L glutathione) already in addition to the apoptosis promoters (curcumin, etc) so there could be an enterage affect going on where the other pathways have to work for the benefit to be realized. If the mitochondria are being actively poisoned and inflammed by chronic viruses which are blocking the Nf-kb apoptosis pathway which we know these viruses (herpes, EBV, varicella zoster) then the motochondria probably aren't in good enough shape to respond and then people assume they need larger doses. The 20 mg doses I take are very small compared to what is being advocated in some treatment regimens (1500 mg infusion).

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-genetic-repair-poll.57797/page-4#post-961763

Last edited:
I'm on my fourth day with the supplement. I literally feel about 10 years younger and have gained 20% of energy. Very impressive.

I'm on my fourth day with the supplement. I literally feel about 10 years younger and have gained 20% of energy. Very impressive.
Improving still? I took Niagen about 6-9 months ago and didn't notice a thing. But my blood work was all whacko at the time with other B vitamins, so that may have effected it. I just dumped some money on NAD+ and NR which should arrive shortly. I did some NAD+ IV and it helped with sleep. It's just too expensive so I'll try mega dosing the sublingual.

Improving still? I took Niagen about 6-9 months ago and didn't notice a thing. But my blood work was all whacko at the time with other B vitamins, so that may have effected it. I just dumped some money on NAD+ and NR which should arrive shortly. I did some NAD+ IV and it helped with sleep. It's just too expensive so I'll try mega dosing the sublingual.

I saved 90% of the cost by ordering 100g bulk powder through Alibaba. The energy increase plateaued below normal. Its still a good supplement that I take about every 1-2 days.

I saved 90% of the cost by ordering 100g bulk powder through Alibaba. The energy increase plateaued below normal. Its still a good supplement that I take about every 1-2 days.
I haven't ordered through alibaba, but I have ordered some sups through bulksupplements.com and purebulk.com and each time I feel like they do nothing and I've wasted my money. Very frustrating.

Regarding plateauing on NAD+, I just ordered some NAD+ and NR, but I had a bit of a back and forth email conversation with the manufacturer regarding NAD+ vs NR and they said most of their customers take both (sublingual). They also said that most people take it 4 days/week. IIRC the clinic that I did IV NAD, does 1,000mg/day for 10 days and then they feel you have reached saturation. They have seen incredible quick results with addiction, but much slower results for anti-aging, over all well being, etc.
The plateau makes sense to me. It's probably similar to how I look at iodine and MSM, they are just pillars for cellular health. NAD+ is probably the same. I'm thinking I'll put the powders in my mouth and do a spritz of DMSO to really drive it in ;-)

I just popped over to an older NAD poll thread and someone said something about mthfr. When I had IV NAD they asked if I knew my MTHFR status because if I had the mutation then they would give me a methyldonor. I wonder if a person should take a methyldonor when taking any NAD supplements?

Maybe MTHFR status has something to do with the plateau?

Last edited:
Nicotinamide riboside is bitter with no aftertaste. I take 10-20 mg in 4 oz water.

As of today my medium brown aged hair has turned back to dark brown as a result of the nicotinamide riboside allowing them to regenerate the pigment cells. I am amazed. White hairs are still white and that is because the pigment cells have died. It looks very cool. Overall I'm thrilled. Go longevity medicine!

As of today my medium brown aged hair has turned back to dark brown as a result of the nicotinamide riboside allowing them to regenerate the pigment cells.
That is very interesting and exciting. I wonder if it would turn dishwater blonde, back to childhood blonde? LOL

Go longevity medicine!
This is the area I'm focusing my research right now; longevity med and I'll always big a proponent of killing bugs - at least for those of us with Lyme in our history."

That is very interesting and exciting. I wonder if it would turn dishwater blonde, back to childhood blonde? LOL

This is the area I'm focusing my research right now; longevity med and I'll always big a proponent of killing bugs - at least for those of us with Lyme in our history."

I'm pretty optimistic this apoptosis method is going to work for a lot of viral ME. cases. Can't wait to start getting doctors on board and test it.

Do try NR if you are 40+. It is pretty amazing. Here's a pic after one month of NR. Look at all the dark brown hairs. It looks like I've been splashed with hair dye.

Attachments

• 20200727_051748[1].jpg
    20200727_051748[1].jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I'm pretty optimistic this apoptosis method is going to work for a lot of viral ME. cases. Can't wait to start getting doctors on board and test it.

Do try NR if you are 40+. It is pretty amazing. Here's a pic after one month of NR. Look at all the dark brown hairs. It looks like I've been splashed with hair dye.
It's so exciting because to me it implies deeper healing is happening.

I'm working on getting my B's straightened out. Then I may do some senescent cell protocols, then work on NAH+ with appropriate supps. :) I did IV NAH+ several months ago, and it helped for a while. I only did 1,200 mg. Too expensive to do 10 days.

It's so exciting because to me it implies deeper healing is happening.

I'm working on getting my B's straightened out. Then I may do some senescent cell protocols, then work on NAH+ with appropriate supps. :) I did IV NAH+ several months ago, and it helped for a while. I only did 1,200 mg. Too expensive to do 10 days.

I used a China source to cut costs. I don't use high doses, only about two doses of 10-20mg per day. Here's a good vendor that I use.

99% Nicotinamide Riboside Chloride Powder(NR-CL),Increases Cellular Metabolism* Promotes Cellular Repair* Replenishes NAD+*

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000831050195.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4drzqFPE

NEW-health Store

Last edited:

Blog entry information

Author
gbells
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from gbells