• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

About language: "Fracking Vs Fracing – The End of the Debate? August 22, 2017 By Jason Lavis"

A bit about language, not that anyone beyond this article's author, some people within the industry, twelve English teachers, five of us autistic geeks, and a pair of random readers, cares.

Fracking Vs Fracing – The End of the Debate?
August 22, 2017 By Jason Lavis

A debate that has raged for a few years now…
There are a number of topics in oil and gas that always seem to generate a healthy debate, and the fracking vs fracing disagreement is one of them. We’re hoping to settle the debate once and for all.

On industry websites we see other versions as well, frac’ing and fraccing are versions that might have been created to pull an emphasis away from the dreaded K. Lets get the ball rolling with the fact that my Apple Pages writing app has given a red underline to all versions but ‘fracking’…

It seems that the VS situation comes from industry people knowing that it comes from the word ‘fracture’, and ‘the media’ adding the K… Can we find the truth?

Below will be a list of researched reasons, or pitches for both versions of the word. The lists will be as complete as possible, as we try to play an impartial ‘devils advocate’ role for both sides.

Then, there will be a final word on the topic.

https://drillers.com/fracking-vs-fracing-end-debate/

Once you have read the author's final word,
come back and see the image below for my own final word on the topic, although to be technically accurate, it is someone else's words,

IMG_9237_42.jpg

Comments

@southwestforests
"A bit about language, not that anyone beyond this article's author, some people within the industry, twelve English teachers, five of us autistic geeks, and a pair of random readers, cares."

Not so fast there, cowboy, re the interest evinced here in your titled subject ..... I'm a long-time lover of all languages, English especially, with it's multi-national, time-machine roots and peregrinations and plasticene flexibility and adaptability.

I wonder what it'll sound like in 50 years? A hundred?

As far as 'fracking' or 'fracing' or 'frac'ing' or other permutations go, how about just sticking with the straight-forward 'fracting' ? Oh, wait, I get it ..... too honest, too close to the truth, too much for the .... uh .... plebes to, uh, correctly understand. Right?

Where have you disappeared to? I have the uneasy feeling that something's wrong, but then I also have the flu which tends me towards direness.

Thinking of you. Hit me back, yes?

Last edited:

Blog entry information

Author
southwestforests
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from southwestforests