• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wet Irish day!

I think you all know that the rain in Ireland is far wetter than anywhere else .... A wet day when there are no mountains, nothing but grey..

I wrote a whole entry earlier, than it vanished.... cyber space...Lost sock land..... Will copy as I write this time..

Islands! Offshore crops of land.... I had been seeking casually a while, Had to be west coast... When I was first in Ireland, it was coastal north Mayo and I loved it. There is a peace and a friendliness about north and west mayo and it has escaped the intense tourism that is destroying other places... We have huge expanses of wild land , preserved now, and empty peaceful beaches are easy to find..

And the friendliest of folk..

And along the west coast a richness of islands..

But to survive, and many are totally depopulated, they have turned to tourism on a major scale. So my seeking a long term rental.... I asked re one island for long term and he replied, "Six months?" and when t replied ,"Five years," there was a stunned silence, then guffaws... There there were nearly 30 lovely holiday lets, empty all winter

And very very busy all summer.. not my scene!

Omey was interesting and a near thing! It is a tidal island. Ie you drive across at low tide, over sand! No I never did it! I got the man who took care of it to drive me in his 4 x4! I have too much imagination and the idea of quick sand terrifies me.. There is a youtube of a party of old ladies rushing back to their coach, skirts held high...

and every house now a holiday let

So my search seemed doomed... But I carried on.

And in ways that are of God, came to meet the ferryman here, then learn that there was a council property lying empty as who wanted to live on an island with so few folk and no facilities?

Perfection for me. Peace, silence, beauty and all the skills needed to live here

The actual move! Ah later! Suffice it to say that the day I drove along the utterly lovely sheep scattered road to the slipway here, I was... lost! Heart given,,, hook, line and sinker! The ferryman took me over a few days later and I lost even more of me... saw this dwelling, unusual as ti is....

Comments

So beautiful, evocative.
And the ferryman took you over....made me cry a little. In a nice way. In old lore it's the ferryman who takes Souls over away from the trials of this world, to the next, the "Summerlands". So I found that very moving
But your ferryman helped you find the perfect house. How lovely!
Best wishes from a landlocked south west UK.

wolfcub; actually the news re the empty house came from 3 different places... the ferryman put the search into acuality, ie he showed me the house the community centre then the council had let me see

Blog entry information

Author
Anchoress
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Anchoress

• The Move!
    Done this so many times in Ireland; I rent at the bottom of the ladder...
  • Islandings..,,,
    As my home is unusual, wondered if a blog might provide some...